What's new

Question - Thunder God How long did it take you guys to do lrc's?

Hi, as the title says, how long did it take you Raiden's out there to perfect or at least do lighting run cancels consistently with raiden? I'm just curious as even though I can get them down most of the time it took me FOREVER to get here. I'll be honest I practiced that hours and hours week after week so I can honestly say it took months, granted I didn't practice on a everyday basis but I did often, so curious to know if I was just doing something simple wrong or is this normal, which I doubt Lol.

Solignac

Noob
I've found that if you fail to do the LRC successfully and you keep trying to do it the same way, you're probably going to keep failing. Chances are you were doing the run input too slowly or too quickly before or after the lightning bolt. But the height at which your opponent was when you did the b14 (i think that's the right string) also matters as sometimes you'll kick them too far away to be able to run to them before they recover from hitstun. Once you kind of keep experimenting and get the feeling for it down of when to do the b14 and when to input the run command, I felt I picked it up pretty quickly. It's much harder to do online though.

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
I remember trying them when I first picked up the character and was like "man this is tough, I'll try something else." after trying them for an hour or so. A few weeks later I decided I would sit down and figure out what I was doing wrong. After struggling with them for an hour or so I broke it down into separate motions. String/ db1/ hold/ run. After doing that I got down the timing in about another hour or so where I was connecting.

Probably took a couple weeks before I did them in matches, but a lot of the time they were drops that turned into just block pressure.
About 2 months before I knew I'd connect any LRC 99% of the time.

So all and all I would say it was a good 3 months before they became second nature in all situations. IDK I think some people the timing of this game just clicks with, there are friends of mine who seemed to be able to do run cancel stuff without trying, then others who are still inconsistent. It seems like it just comes down to having that one really clean LRC then you know what it feels like, but who knows how long it will take before that happens.

Tips for learning them and generally getting better at them because it seems like people are always looking.

Break the steps down to get each motion in your muscle memory.

Look at exactly how far you need to run before you can connect the next string, some attacks it is further than you think, some you don't run as much as you stutter step.

Once you can connect them midscreen, learn how to do them in the corner. It is harder and will make the midscreen ones easy. Plus the difference in timing will make you have more control over the run part.

Even if you get mad, refuse to mash out the LRC. they won't be consistent until you are pressing them in a consistent way.

Learn things like the pseudo tick setup with b11LRCgrab, this will make you really fast.

To me, the extra damage you get with the run cancels isnt worth what it takes to execute them. I'm perfectly fine with consistentlty getting 35% w/ one bar midescreen and 44% in the corner without them so I never took the time to learn. And since Raiden got nerfed and you'll probably never see him in a top 8 anyway, its definitely not worth the time. However, if you want to learn how to do them just so you can say you accomplished something, then that's all good too.

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
To me, the extra damage you get with the run cancels isnt worth what it takes to execute them. I'm perfectly fine with consistently getting 35% w/ one bar midescreen and 44% in the corner without them so I never took the time to learn. And since Raiden got nerfed and you'll probably never see him in a top 8 anyway, its definitely not worth the time. However, if you want to learn how to do them just so you can say you accomplished something, then that's all good too.
It's more than just damage from combos. There's no reason to play this variation without them. He gets new pressure options, a vortex, mix ups, and the ability to confirm off of any string for damage.

When people start blocking 214, b2, b32 he needs the LRC to get damage off of the opportunities he gets.

I think the reason he isn't in a top 8 is not because he is bad as much as he is too honest. You have to really outplay stronger characters because their dirt is..... dirty.

Point being, LRCs are like everything in fighting games. It's not work, it's a game. I'm not working hard, I'm having fun. Once you can do it then it feels natural, easy, and fun. I thought the same thing when I first played this character, now I have no I idea how anyone would play him without the LRCs.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
It took me 3 hours, Which is pretty much the same time it took me to master cyrax reset in mk9. You realize the timings, practice it, and your muscle memory takes it from there.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Might sound like bullshit, but it took me around a hour to start doing them consistently. Raiden was the first cancel character I picked up so it was hard at first, but now it's so easy it's ridiculous. I think my execution is very good though, as I can make 114 jail from f24 in A-list so that's probably why. At the end of the day it all comes down to practice and muscle memory.

It's more than just damage from combos. There's no reason to play this variation without them. He gets new pressure options, a vortex, mix ups, and the ability to confirm off of any string for damage.

When people start blocking 214, b2, b32 he needs the LRC to get damage off of the opportunities he gets.

I think the reason he isn't in a top 8 is not because he is bad as much as he is too honest. You have to really outplay stronger characters because their dirt is..... dirty.

Point being, LRCs are like everything in fighting games. It's not work, it's a game. I'm not working hard, I'm having fun. Once you can do it then it feels natural, easy, and fun. I thought the same thing when I first played this character, now I have no I idea how anyone would play him without the LRCs.
Like I said, if you want to learn just for fun or to say you've accomplished something, then fine. But I don't play just for fun. And from a competitive standpoint, the time spent learning how to do Raiden's run cancells will be better served picking up a higher tier character and learning them. I love Raiden but in this game, most character loyalists are losers. However, if you're just playing for fun, then who cares...have fun learning your favorite character.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
what is the point of lightning run cancels outside of hitconfirming combos or gaining more advantage off the restand? i know there nowhere near 0 on block.

TwiztidOne

I don't know who that is...
There is no point...that's my point.
the point in learning them is to play the character at the highest possible level

there use to be this sindel player (sindel was super low tier in mk9 imo) on xbl who mastered sindels levitate cancels along with her zoning options and space control, who would just wreck almost everyone even those using top tier characters

so imo it's always good to dedicate the time mastering and learning the ins and outs of a character that you want to play even though they may be low tier

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Took me about hours, if you combine all the days training Raiden. It's a matter of time when you get used with the cue to hit the LRC after B14xxBolt. Got used to it now, and now I'm in progress of learning all of his combos. Even after more than a month away from PS4 my muscles almost remember this timing. Found the cue, and that's AFTER the kick to hit the run input. I got used with this weird timing since Unbreakable Sub Zero's Aura link to the next input.