What's new

How krushing blows should've been handled IMO(Spawn's soul forfeit example)

Slymind

Noob
First, don't be triggered, this is just my view.

I've been thinking about Krushing Blows in MK11, and how satisfying they are to land, you can feel the impact and it's visually pretty cool. However there is a great deal of frustration due how inconsistent they can be:
  • There are some krushing blows which the requirements make them almost impossible to land in an actual match(most of Johnny's);
  • There are KBs that are way too easy to get while being gamechangers(Sindel's scream, many of Geras');
I feel they are much more interesting as combo extenders, rather than being a pocket fatal blow in terms of damage. My suggestions: would be:
  • Significantly reducing KB's damage across the board, but, turning them into launchers to open new combo paths(some already work like that, the idea would be to make this more common).
  • Reworking most KB's requirements to be more about triggering them after certain conditions are met(like Jaqui's grab that requires you to land all the grabs to get it), rather than being momentarily/situational.
To ilustrate my point, check Spawn's combo at 1:19:25(i also left the timestamp on the comments in the video):

This is an extreme example, because Spawn has the ability to load all KBs at once.

I think this would make a more interesting metagame of charging KBs and spending them in the right moment(when the opponent cannot break for instance).

Naturally the numbers in terms of damage and scalling would have to be adjusted accordingly, but that is another discussion.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
i like the idea, and has been thinking about it myself as well.
I would go as far as say, KB only gets additional 5% damage increase of base damage
KB combo starters disable breakaways
Every character in the game should have a Counter hit KB combo starter, a KB combo ender, a throw KB combo starter.

But none of these should do 300 damage, the increase should've only been 5% more of each damage, if for example a throw does 16% damage, then a KB throw would do 21% damage
If an uppercut does 20% damage, then a KB uppercut should do 25%

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I think KBs should have significantly reduced damage, but should be unlimited. KBs as MK's version of Counter Hit is genius. SFV, Guilty Gear and Tekken all have amazing feeling counter hit systems. The issue imo is most of the time a hype KB is immediately followed up with a flaccid breakaway, and then you never see that KB again.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I was hoping for KB's to have a bit more of a Resource Management component built in. Something where the player would need to weigh holding onto the KB for the threat of holding it vs spending it for the big damage but losing that threat for the rest of the match. Or having the possible choice to go for lower damage combos/less ideal setups early in the match to set up the KB requirements for later.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I think KBs should have significantly reduced damage, but should be unlimited. KBs as MK's version of Counter Hit is genius. SFV, Guilty Gear and Tekken all have amazing feeling counter hit systems. The issue imo is most of the time a hype KB is immediately followed up with a flaccid breakaway, and then you never see that KB again.
I liked in Virtua Fighter how move properties would change on Counter Hit, where you'd do slightly more damage, get more frame advantage, and some moves that wouldn't launch on normal would actually launch or lead to additional combo on Counter Hit.

trufenix

bye felicia
Don't meter burned specials, throws, and wake ups already exist? Now you want a meter controlled critical normal?

DeftMonk

Noob
I always thought it would be cool as hell to add Roman cancel to mk11 once per round but only applicable to d2(or make them special cancellable for 1 offensive bar or smthing). This would solve ur problem which is pretty much combos don’t have much extension capability while also keeping the hype that comes with Krushing blows as they are. This would also enable new combo routes like juggle someone as high as possible then d2 cancel into shao Kahn debuff.