What's new

How is everyone using the parries?

therinrik

Kano MKX Sonya MK11
I've only had the game for a few days, but I don't really hit the parry very often even though it seems to be one of her best conditioning tools to avoid b1 and 1 getting low profiled. How do y'all lab parries/use them online/etc.?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I've only had the game for a few days, but I don't really hit the parry very often even though it seems to be one of her best conditioning tools to avoid b1 and 1 getting low profiled. How do y'all lab parries/use them online/etc.?
I don’t.

Ring master variation gives insane corner damage and much better zoning with aerial rings and K.A.T. drop which ignores projectile counters; so I use that one.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I use them on spamming opponents who mash the d1. You get a lot of those, and after a really unsafe string if the opponent seems to be punishing a lot immediately or flawless blocking.

Dedlock

Noob
I use it, its timing is tricky but much more forgiving than flawless blocks lol! I use it against spammers which is Sonya's weakness.

I used it quite well against a geras recently.

therinrik

Kano MKX Sonya MK11
I use it, its timing is tricky but much more forgiving than flawless blocks lol! I use it against spammers which is Sonya's weakness.

I used it quite well against a geras recently.
Ok, but how do you practice it? Or how do you practice making the reads for it? Or what are the situations where you'd use it? I usually just get hit if I try to whip out a parry even though I usually guess the direction right. It just doesn't come out soon enough. I'm trying to learn how to use the air grabs as well, and I've never been any good at them, so any advice or videos are welcome.

Dedlock

Noob
Its a timing thing , the best thing I can tell you is to wait a bit before executing the parry. It is actually one frame slower than her mkx version so it's slower. So be patient and make reads . The parry should be able to counter most high attacks, the low parry is trickier. Also the ai can read parries very well , they work better on human opponents.

For the air grab I came across a jump kick combo but I don't find it practical and it's too circumstantial, honestly for me it's pretty useless since air control is a better option for both anti air and combos.

Create a custom and replace the air grab with something else you prefer.

Ludaaak

Noob
Ok, but how do you practice it? Or how do you practice making the reads for it? Or what are the situations where you'd use it? I usually just get hit if I try to whip out a parry even though I usually guess the direction right. It just doesn't come out soon enough. I'm trying to learn how to use the air grabs as well, and I've never been any good at them, so any advice or videos are welcome.
The parry is kind of an ‘adapt on the go’ type of tool. It’s purely situational and you can’t lab it. I suggest holding off on the parry until you get a feel for how your opponent exploits the holes in Sonya’s offence. It’s more a contingency than anything.

For example, if you start a round gunning for her overhead launcher and your opponent is aware they can low profile you and poke out, or they are one of those suicidal uppercutters, then you should be shooting for the parry. I can go entire games without needing to parry at all. It’s a good tool to condition but it’s purely situational.

You can get lucky throwing it out after her really unsafe strings but if your opponent has a brain they will adapt quick smart.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
What works for me, at least, is to frustrate the opponent. So you use her mixups while watching if they try to press buttons on wake-up. If they do then all you need to do is to read low or standing depending on what buttons they usually press to try and steal your turn.

I feel like her energy ring fake outs also play into this, you can play some crazy mind games with Sonya, I think that's what I enjoy the most about her.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
I don't. KAT Turrets all the way! I'm still trying to work out how to do the ground blast with her rings though.

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
There are a lot of 7f (or higher) gaps in strings, so I use it to blow those up when I don't have defensive meter to flawless block punish. Kano's 2,4,1+3 and Baraka's 112 are examples.

Stanlos

Noob
I like using the party against Kitanas versus the Mileena-port and the b231*d2
I also like using it to stop slide happy SubZeros in the rare occasion the connection is not bionic

Stanlos

Noob

I go by the sound. That is the best way I could deal