What's new

How fast does it take you to learn a new char?

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
long AF
and the end result still wont be that good
fighting games just aint my thing
lol
i really WANT to be good at em but i just dont have that mindset
Learn ONE skill at a time and know yourself.

When I'm not inflicting damage, it hurts me inside. It makes me a very impatient player, but I have a knack for beating people to the punch on everything. So, people that play patiently give me problems. Recently, I learned to be more patient - not by learning to wait - but by EXTENDING my focus longer. Now, I can beat people to the punch over longer periods of time. I'm still impatient, but not as - and I've kept my greatest strength. Now, I just keep working on extending that focus further and further. Eventually, my focus will be extended indefinitely - and I will no longer have the weakness of being impatient.

You already have a plan. Never scrap your plan. Just keep building on it.

Skills and plan go hand-in-hand and neither is worth a damn by itself.

oaoo94

Owner of HAZARDOUS Gaming
It took me about a month until I really became comfortable with Ermac and started using him in a competitive level.

I first like to understand their frame data to see what their best strings are, what their best pokes are. you know stuff like that. Then I start learning BnB's and try to practice them on actual opponents. I usually go to Ranked and use the many scrubs there to practice their neutral. Then when i really think i got them down. I seek out Stronger Opponents to help me clean up anything else im doing wrong.

MasterBelmont

Aspiring competitive MKXL/MVCI player from Oregon
I dropped Shinnok when Tremor was released and have been maining Aftershock since. I took things one step at a time: first I learned the best normals and their ranges, then I learned the specials, and then I practiced the combos. When I put all my knowledge together into a complete gameplan, I'd been using Tremor for around two weeks or so (that's a rough guess, though, since I don't remember exactly how long it took). To this day, I constantly go into training to keep things fresh and utilize my full tool set, although I'm still getting matchup notes down.

I know I got a little off-topic there, but yeah, it doesn't take a crap-ton of time to learn a character, just to get the experience necessary to really succeed.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
To get a good feel for a character, usually less than a week, but to become 100% comfortable with the character and be able to convert off of stray hits, that's something that can take months.

It can take up to a couple of hours, to a day or two. Learning everything a character has to their disposal i.e normals, punishes, AA, combos, etc. With MUs, it's best to practice online and learn them yourself. Or you can just have an idea of what kind of tools the opponent has. For example, I main Cassie and I already knew Shinnok was a bad MU for her due to his hell sparks and zoning tools. But if you can get him trapped in the corner, he's SOL.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
It takes about a week or two to master a character, if you feel like playing Mortal Kombat.

I tend to learn one by one the stuff before devising the combo I find. There are some exceptions that you might not know, like Raiden's LRC and Liu Kang's FRC (Fireball Run Cancel). There are some harder moves like the LRC and FRC that you want to include in your combos to make them BnB. Those harder moves give you more time to learn them. There's the stuff with the tighter linkable combos.

Some might need about a month, some less than a month.

And for the advanced, it's a matter of time to test new combos that some might have never found and that's from image training.

It took me 2 months to get used with GM Sub Zero and think of many combos in my mind. The same is applied with Tarkatan Alien.

Last edited:

Tanno

Depends on the character, there's a whole bunch of characters in this game that i find stupid easy to play (Jax, Jacqui, Liu Kang, Kotal, Goro, Ferra/Torr, Mileena, Kitana) and others that require a bit of work in the lab (Johnny, Sonya, Sub Zero, Scorpion, Kenshi, Cassie, Shinnok, Quan)
Stupidly easy is Sub Zero, because he doesn't have many combos like the others. The others like Jacqui, Jax and Raiden do have hard combos due of the complicated inputs.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Stupidly easy is Sub Zero, because he doesn't have many combos like the others. The others like Jacqui, Jax and Raiden do have hard combos due of the complicated inputs.
Combos are only part of what adds to a character's easiness or hardness.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
I dedicate myself. When I pick up a new character I use nothing but that character for at least a month straight. As far as learning combos, at this point in the game I've seen so many tournaments and played the game so long I can kinda just remember the combos that other people use. Then I'll sit in the lab and fuck around with the combo to see if I can come up with better combos

Tanno

I dedicate myself. When I pick up a new character I use nothing but that character for at least a month straight. As far as learning combos, at this point in the game I've seen so many tournaments and played the game so long I can kinda just remember the combos that other people use. Then I'll sit in the lab and fuck around with the combo to see if I can come up with better combos
You're just like me and a selected few peeps. A lab rat. xD

Checking the combos others have found, and discovering new combos that nobody has ever found. I found some combos for Sub Zero that nobody has found.

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
You're just like me and a selected few peeps. A lab rat. xD

Checking the combos others have found, and discovering new combos that nobody has ever found. I found some combos for Sub Zero that nobody has found.
Yeah I've found unposted tech with jax and combos I haven't even seen Jupiter use

A few hours in training mode to learn combos and a week or two playing the char in matchups to learn what the fuck I'm actually supposed to be doing. Depends on the character though. That's just to be comfortable with the character. I don't think I've ever gotten to the point where I feel like I'm done learning my character though.

Laggin

Noob
A few hours in training mode to learn combos and a week or two playing the char in matchups to learn what the fuck I'm actually supposed to be doing. Depends on the character though. That's just to be comfortable with the character. I don't think I've ever gotten to the point where I feel like I'm done learning my character though.
so you feel, even if you "master" a character, that there is a more to learn or more optimised combos to be included in your arsenal. I like you :)

leoj89

Noob
I'll get back to you on that.
I've been playing mileena since launch and still don't know what I'm doing.
Hopefully I get it together by tcw.

MK2D

Have you had your MK today?
My problem is I like quite a few different characters, so taking the time to master any of them with limited play time is rather difficult. Tournament level play is pretty much a pipe dream for me, but I've always loved playing MK regardless.

Having said that, it'd be great if I could actually settle on a character long enough to learn all there is for them (until the next patch lol).