What's new

How fast does it take you to learn a new char?

QUAN-FUSION

Crotch-puncher
Lol well mainly the essentials / punishes / a few conversions
Honestly, to answer you question quickly.
There is no quick answer.
Each character is different.
Some take longer to learn then others.
Leatherface is mindless and easy.
BRC will take a lot knowledge.

just pick a character you like and jump in the deep end! It's the only way.

You'll learn all you need through necessity.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
You never stop learning a character imo. For example I play dvorah and f/t since may last year and I feel like I Never stopped improving with them .there are always things I want to learn or new tech I want to get down sind this is a big factor for me to keep the fun going.

But to answer the real question:

Getting on a comfortable play level : about a Month
Getting on a level where I use the character in a tournament:
3 months or more
(This is for me at least)

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
A while for special forces to find everyhthing because I was the only player id ever seen use her so I found 99% everything I use for her. When I learned her I didn't have tym or know it was a thing so there may well have been things on here anyway. One of my first posts though was the guide I wrote.

I'm going through a new character crisis, I wanna learn A-list Johnny but I wonder how long till I get those cancels down.. Maybe I should try acidic alien? Well then again he's OP af and will probably get a nerf bat before Evo. Hmm Ermac maybe.... Decisions...decisions... I need some good green herbs to think

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
I'm going through a new character crisis, I wanna learn A-list Johnny but I wonder how long till I get those cancels down.. Maybe I should try acidic alien? Well then again he's OP af and will probably get a nerf bat before Evo. Hmm Ermac maybe.... Decisions...decisions... I need some good green herbs to think
I recently had the same problem but I wanted to learn Liu Kang. The execution of his FBRCs were something I'd never even contemplated learning in a fighting game but I decided to go with it and now, a month later, I can use a portion of them comfortably in real matches. Not always perfect mind you but enough to get by and break the monotony of training.

In a nutshell, it's definitely daunting at first but it's worth just jumping on and putting the work in.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Depends on your definition of learning a character. I usually use this list in no particular order.

Combos and basic strategies/mixups?

-Zoning options (if any) on block or hit?

-Fundamentals like knowing your ranges to play footsies or anti-crossups?

-Pressure and Frame traps?

-Learning multiple or all variations?

-Hard to escape setups; HTBs? Are they safe?

-Fastest, most damaging, and reliable punishes?

-Conversions?

-Meter Management?

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Depends on the character, there's a whole bunch of characters in this game that i find stupid easy to play (Jax, Jacqui, Liu Kang, Kotal, Goro, Ferra/Torr, Mileena, Kitana) and others that require a bit of work in the lab (Johnny, Sonya, Sub Zero, Scorpion, Kenshi, Cassie, Shinnok, Quan)

Matix218

Get over here!
I don't think that this is a question that you can give a firm answer to. I am still learning new stuff with my main and I have been using him since launch. If by "learn" you mean get comfortable with basic strings, strategy, set ups, punishes and things like that I would say a few days or so but learning difficult conversions, hit confirms, tight character specific punishes, learning nuances of specific matchups... that stuff takes very long to grind out. Different for each person and character though.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Depends on the character, there's a whole bunch of characters in this game that i find stupid easy to play (Jax, Jacqui, Liu Kang, Kotal, Goro, Ferra/Torr, Mileena, Kitana) and others that require a bit of work in the lab (Johnny, Sonya, Sub Zero, Scorpion, Kenshi, Cassie, Shinnok, Quan)
Liu Kang and Jax are easy to play but Cassie requires labbing?

Are you run cancelling with the former two or getting by without?

Sulfur

Flame Fists are gonna hate me, but Liu is easy to pick up and win with occassionally because windmill with fists on fire ony requires me to do one hit prior for dumb damage. Jax, I just get by without run cancelling. I can win without it.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3

I think he means flame fist who is execution whise not really that hard to learn. DF is alot harder und dualist I don't even know what to do in that Variation lol

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
A while for special forces to find everyhthing because I was the only player id ever seen use her so I found 99% everything I use for her. When I learned her I didn't have tym or know it was a thing so there may well have been things on here anyway. One of my first posts though was the guide I wrote.
When i first got mkx i used Sonya. It was between demo and SF . i still wanna get into SF tho but im scurrrd because she's coin flip lol

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
When i first got mkx i used Sonya. It was between demo and SF . i still wanna get into SF tho but im scurrrd because she's coin flip lol
But a safe coin flip. her overhead and lows if blocked leads into +34 pressure. There is a gap that can be baited as it's still safe or do the oh drone blast which is another 50 and plus 3 on block.
She's severely underrated and in the right hands im sure she can be crazy good. (I'm not however the right hands lol)

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
I think he means flame fist who is execution whise not really that hard to learn. DF is alot harder und dualist I don't even know what to do in that Variation lol
Lool I hear ya. Flame fist got those 3/4 frame links though. Fuck those links and fuck my slow-ass fingers

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Flame Fists are gonna hate me, but Liu is easy to pick up and win with occassionally because windmill with fists on fire ony requires me to do one hit prior for dumb damage. Jax, I just get by without run cancelling. I can win without it.
Flame fist isn't exactly pick up and win unless you play some real dumb players. To even make someone fear WP on block you have to use SF~exWP which is a hard link (see post above)

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
But a safe coin flip. her overhead and lows if blocked leads into +34 pressure. There is a gap that can be baited as it's still safe or do the oh drone blast which is another 50 and plus 3 on block.
She's severely underrated and in the right hands im sure she can be crazy good. (I'm not however the right hands lol)
Yeaaaa im hitting the lab with her just cause of this lol!! I mean scar has a SF, tho im not sure if he uses her very much

Addhad

GOD OF EARTHRELM
I usually practice a combo then go into a tower and get the combo mastered after that take it to online and just use the strings footsie tools that the pros use

Sulfur

long AF
and the end result still wont be that good
fighting games just aint my thing
lol
i really WANT to be good at em but i just dont have that mindset
More often than not that's a case of the character not being what you want them to be tbh.
Like, in street fighter I'm only good with vega because literally every other character i pick up I try to play like vega so I'm not good with them haha.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Depends on the character. Like for example, it only took me 10 mins to learn Zoneshaper and start bodying online scrubs and some decent players.