What's new

How fast does it take you to learn a new char?

So just out of curiosity how fast does it usually take you guys to pick up a good character and play them competitively?

What are some advices in learning characters quick? How do you guys usually learn a characters combos quick? Is this based on combos found online or toying around in the lab?

Been wanting to pick up a few new chars but with a full time job and a wife sometimes it gets hard to master a new character and I get anxious and just end up playing the ones I already know. So I'm looking for some advice on picking up characters and learning them fast

I'm able to do characters combos easy with my eyes closed if i look at the inputs lol, it takes me alot of time to learn the characters gameplan, match-ups, footsies etc.
i.e It takes alot of time to learn and truly master a character.
Do you usually make your own combos or go for optimal bnb damaging combos found online for the character ?

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
Do you usually make your own combos or go for optimal bnb damaging combos found online for the character ?
At first i try to make up my own combos which usually turns out well. Most of the times i'm like "This character does no damage. It's best that i check the combo thread on the character's forum on tym." But then it turns out the combo i was using was actually the optimal bnb lol. If you like to be creative and make up your own combos, go for it! If you find the character difficult and can't find combos or you're just too lazy to make your own, chrck the combo thread on this website on the character's forum.

At first i try to make up my own combos which usually turns out well. Most of the times i'm like "This character does no damage. It's best that i check the combo thread on the character's forum on tym." But then it turns out the combo i was using was actually the optimal bnb lol. If you like to be creative and make up your own combos, go for it! If you find the character difficult and can't find combos or you're just too lazy to make your own, chrck the combo thread on this website on the character's forum.
I wish there was a way that people can stay make new combos and still be tournament viable problem with uniqueness in combos in this game all comes down to damage and if a combo looks cool or neat but does crap damage its evidently useless..

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
So just out of curiosity how fast does it usually take you guys to pick up a good character and play them competitively?

What are some advices in learning characters quick? How do you guys usually learn a characters combos quick? Is this based on combos found online or toying around in the lab?

Been wanting to pick up a few new chars but with a full time job and a wife sometimes it gets hard to master a new character and I get anxious and just end up playing the ones I already know. So I'm looking for some advice on picking up characters and learning them fast
It takes me at least a month before I'm really comfortable (to a tournament level) with a new character. But I don't play that often with work and other obligations and playing lots of different games.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
I wish there was a way that people can stay make new combos and still be tournament viable problem with uniqueness in combos in this game all comes down to damage and if a combo looks cool or neat but does crap damage its evidently useless..
This game has more to it than just combos, there's match-ups, footsies, low profiling, jailing, frame traps, neutral, spacing, hit confirming, trip guarding, anti-airing, reacting, fuzzy guarding etc. A character like for example Bone Shaper Shinnok, his damage is very bad. But he has mixups, good low profiling, pressure, good run speed, fullscreen armored launcher, very good zoning and spacing and much more, but he has very low damage. Yet he's still a very good character. His combos aren't stylish at all. Nor do they that much damage, but he's still a very good character because of what i listed and alot more stuff that he has that i have probably forgotten.

He has much utility everywhere except for his damage. His combos are egregious, but that doesn't make him a bad character.

This game has more to it than just combos, there's match-ups, footsies, low profiling, jailing, frame traps, neutral, spacing, hit confirming, trip guarding, anti-airing, reacting, fuzzy guarding etc. A character like for example Bone Shaper Shinnok, his damage is very bad. But he has mixups, good low profiling, pressure, good run speed, fullscreen armored launcher, very good zoning and spacing and much more, but he has very low damage. Yet he's still a very good character. His combos aren't stylish at all. Nor do they that much damage, but he's still a very good character because of what i listed and alot more stuff that he has that i have probably forgotten.
Well that's true, ive been looking for a new character to master lately for tournament play. I currently play erron black gunslinger and predator hqt, with my long hours it's hard to squeeze in more time to master others so that's why I was asking for advice on quick tips in picking new chars up

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Short of having to learn cancels or frame links it doesn't take that long for me to grasp a new character, their buttons and learn any bnb combos. Usually a couple of days to get the basics down, then I just play matches and pick stuff up as I go.

Mastering them and playing under pressure is the real struggle.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I focus on the fundamentals & basic schemes of the character if it fits or if I need to change/adapt my foundations of my play styles.

Then I go from there breaking the character down then building the character back up all the while creating new ways to play & use it in different situations that my main can't handle.

Then figuring out the 5 W's vs my main and my play style then I make the decision to keep him/her or it own my team.

To me a new characters is like a truck. It's got to do the job but I need to be comfortable, feel safe & relaxed while in the cab and if I can rely on it for the long haul.

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
It depends. Like u can pick example kotal and do fairly decent (with war god at least) quickly. Then u pick a-list cage and it takes lot more of efforts to be good. I suppose it helps if u have played execution heavy char before. Combos are easy to learn, but footsies, MU's take mite time to learn. I picked kano like a week ago (not just cutthroat) and I'm learning all the time. He just fits my play style so good coz spacing and godlike movement. Mastering char takes lot of time,effort and grinding. Even salty tears

xSamuel

Player of All, Master of None.
I dedicated a week of spare time to learning punishes with Lao. I had previously gotten used to his combos/conversions so I went in and found punishes for each character and made a document of them. From there I would just go online, get bodied then learn how to counter certain situations I wasn't comfortable with. Took me at least 2 months of gameplay after learning his combos/conversions/punishes before I felt comfortable in just about any matchup. Also asking more experienced players about your character's bad MUs is very helpful. @Tweedy helped me a lot with Kitana and SZ MUs as well as beginning to understand Buzzsaw instead of Tempest

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I can do all their combos after like an hour or two, but thinking on the fly with them and getting good conversions on the spot, and more intricate stuff takes months. That's why Iv only been able to play one variation of one characters yet because I lack the attention span to stick it out with another character.

What seems to take me the longest in learning a new char are the match ups and conversions definitely. Sometimes if I'm pressured of what not I don't know what to do in certain situations because I'm not familiarized with the character yet, that I feel is the longest part in mastering a character.

Yet you have people like sonic fox who can pick up a character and master all aspects of it within 5 minutes lol

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
A few things comes to mind here.

1. It's character dependent. Some characters are easy to learn and master, some aren't

2. Always learn 1 to 2 bnb combos that are optimal, practical in a real match, and the most damaging. You don't need 6 combos. Make sure those same combos can be used with punishing and not just a combo starter

3. To master a character, it will take time and experience. You have to get comfy with thier movement, spacing, tools, anti airs, and conversions.