What's new

How easy is it for you to enforce your offense online with Nighwolf?

I played about 100 games online ( around 40 in KL and rest with friends) with NW. I tried to like him but i just cant seem to enforce anything. The mids are slow enough so anyone can disrespect even in hit advantage. Once my opponent realises that they turn into maniacs. You want to 111 nope get d1 son. His anti-airs are below average so even if i read wake up jump, i cant seem to punish it. No one is gonna sit there to wait for my offense. I just cant figure him out.

Maybe you guys/girls had better luck than me. Maybe share that tech i cant find. Or i should finally accept he aint that good?

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
He has his weaknesses but he is crazy good at what he does and that's decent damage into corner carry. You want to enforce staggers to land the overhead/B13 once they are respecting his number of hit mix off B1, B13 or B1, 31.
If they are ducking your auto Shimmy (11) then start checking ng them with D3 its amazing and jails into 111/F12/312/222.
The corner carry is where you can make your opponent scareson Wakeup since you can bait U3's with EX Wolf Buff which has armor and soaks up the U3 and allows you to continue pressure or combo.
You are not wanting to just rely on F21 or B13 you have to use his other tools to make them respect you which opens up F2/B13.

For Anti-Airs I use s1 and it works great for me but you can also use backdash punish with B13/F12. Your main mids are F12 and B34D4 and shoulder. Your main highs are: 111/22/31.
Forward throw loops and back throw sets up EX Shoulder KB where only the Overhead hits.
His mix isn't off overhead/low its off staggers and Strike/Throw and then after they are afraid of that then comes the F2/B13/B34 mind games.

kcd117

Noob
He is a conditioning heavy character. You need to condition people to respect your oki, respect your pressure, your options and footsie tools. After that he can start to enforce his throw game mixing with 111 using his amazing dashes to close the gap or wiff punish. Having success with him relies on how good you are able to condition your oponent.

Against decent players? It is pretty easy. You can even go ahead and beat people using only the 111/grab mix if you have the neutral for it.

Against maniacs/KL? Not gonna happen. You’ll probably spend most of the game trying to condition them not to jump on wakeup, or not to press after getting poked, etc and will end up playing dumb and the habit may carry against good players.

He has his weaknesses but he is crazy good at what he does and that's decent damage into corner carry. You want to enforce staggers to land the overhead/B13 once they are respecting his number of hit mix off B1, B13 or B1, 31.
If they are ducking your auto Shimmy (11) then start checking ng them with D3 its amazing and jails into 111/F12/312/222.
The corner carry is where you can make your opponent scareson Wakeup since you can bait U3's with EX Wolf Buff which has armor and soaks up the U3 and allows you to continue pressure or combo.
You are not wanting to just rely on F21 or B13 you have to use his other tools to make them respect you which opens up F2/B13.

For Anti-Airs I use s1 and it works great for me but you can also use backdash punish with B13/F12. Your main mids are F12 and B34D4 and shoulder. Your main highs are: 111/22/31.
Forward throw loops and back throw sets up EX Shoulder KB where only the Overhead hits.
His mix isn't off overhead/low its off staggers and Strike/Throw and then after they are afraid of that then comes the F2/B13/B34 mind games.
For me at least he is just way too honest. 111 is such a good stagger but every other stagger is reactable. D1/D3 to jail into s1 you need to be almost frame perfect. S1 also as aa hits kinda low compared to other characters thats why he has a different timing and is actually impossible aa lao/baraka level kicks. Since it's online no one is ducking off a read. They just d1 since it puts you in a ducking state. I actually never use f21 it feels so slow and in this meta where everyone wants to steal their turn back, they just press buttons. Even 3 days after he released it feels like everyone knows the mu. I dont really care about points but i got wrecked in god and couldnt get anything going. Lets be real here i just suck with him most likely and cant figure him out.

xKMMx

Banned

I didn't get a chance to play him yet and wont till he hits the open market next week but this info is better than most ive found on here about him.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Close range, after D3 on hit, 111 jails. That’s the main thing I’ve been doing. You can mix in D3 on hit into throw as well. It’s very strong. @Darkperson6 You can’t mash s1 after d3 on hit, has to be timed. I can get it 9/10 times, you just have to practice the timing. It’s not nearly as hard as his meterless axe launcher corner combos. That shit requires super strict timing and execution.

Full screen just been zoning with arrows or counter zoning with reflect. Works pretty well except the mirror is rough.

The biggest issue is mid range neutral. All of his advancing mids are unsafe with exceptions. So it’s hard to really initiate offense in neutral. You’re better off playing footsies and relying on fundmentals and defense in neutral. A big issue is his anti airs aren’t consistent. My D2’s are constantly being stuffed. Arrows are a good aa but it’s hard to react to a jump at certain ranges with arrow.

Anyway, basically, he’s very strong up close, has options full screen, and needs to play very solid neutral with footsies and fundamentals. He can’t just enforce his will like a Jacqui, Geras, Scorpion, Sonya, Cassie, etc etc.

LawAbidingCitizen

For me at least he is just way too honest. 111 is such a good stagger but every other stagger is reactable. D1/D3 to jail into s1 you need to be almost frame perfect. S1 also as aa hits kinda low compared to other characters thats why he has a different timing and is actually impossible aa lao/baraka level kicks. Since it's online no one is ducking off a read. They just d1 since it puts you in a ducking state. I actually never use f21 it feels so slow and in this meta where everyone wants to steal their turn back, they just press buttons. Even 3 days after he released it feels like everyone knows the mu. I dont really care about points but i got wrecked in god and couldnt get anything going. Lets be real here i just suck with him most likely and cant figure him out.
It will just take you a bit to get him down. I don't play online just at local tournaments and with players I know are good locally most of the time, occasionally I play with TYMers and in TYM Tournament / League / War Room.

His F2 is very powerful its just mainly used for meaty/oki and from range or wiff punishment.
For anti airs:
I use s1 for jik distance on reaction and it works well when timed correctly. I never use D2 but if I know they are going to jump I use B2 on a read which lands me a combo: B2, dash xx 31, dash xx 111 DF2/BF4/DBF3(depending on variation)

He is honest because they made his moves require thought but I like that about him. He has to use his moves at the right time and utilize all if them not just auto pilot 2 of them like many other characters.
Up close use: D3, 1, 11, 111, 112, 22, 222, 31,3, 312 and B34.
Footsie range use: F2121, B132, F12, Rhino Charge, B2

Keep practicing doing B1 into B13/B132/F12/111/11 into throws.
His staggers is what opens up your opponent or locks them up so you can do 50/50's.

PreNerf_

No labels
Like kdc said, he is a conditioning heavy character. Once you condition them then you can use his staggers. His b1 is a great stagger cause the recovery is deceiving. You have to condition them with b132 a couple of times before you use it though and if they always use a high on their turn then you can steal a turn back with d3 after b132. Use his d3 alot it jails into half of his strings. Most of the time unless they respect you, you should only use his f2121 as a meaty wakeup punisher or a ranged check tool if they are respecting your play, and in the corner alternating it with b34d4. His b13 confirm tomahawk is for wiff punishing and if they start blocking the b13 then start confirming it into a mix of the b132 and b3 arrow cancel into his 11,111,112. The 112 gives you a plus 1 and you may be able to get a f12 off afterward or a shoulder. Watch for them to try to take a turn with a slower advancing move the first time you do it. If they do then you can use either one. If they try to poke. They next time shimmy throw. His 1,11,112 sets up an amazing shimmy throw headgame. 112 to condition, 11 throw, j1112, j11 throw. Like lawabidingcitizen said. His standing 1 into f12 is a great AA or s1 canceled into b2. He is good. Very honest but not a character you just throw buttons out with. He is like noob in that way. All of noobs buttons are good for certain situations and you have to use all of his tools to be successful with him. Very honest but great tools If you condition them.

Zviko

Noob
Embrace the D3. It's soooo goooooood, especially since jailing now works properly. I have never ever caught so many mashers as with NW's D3 jailing into S3 or B34
Yesterday I wanted to try what Ancestral is all about. It was on fresh account in KL so opponents weren't very good anyway but still. I didn't get a single command grab, throw or any other mix ups. D3 jailing and whiff punishing is what won me all 3 games lol.

rainuS

Prince of Edenia
Its extremely easy to start he has amazing dashes then his d1 is a mid w 7f startup that jails to 1 or option select to Command grab on block.

LawAbidingCitizen

how is it an auto shimmy?
Because it sets em up for wiff punishing on block perfectly just like Cassie 11 and it has a super fast mid on second hit which is hard to punish With throw. It Also baits throw techs and punishes with the fast mid. The move looks just Luke a throw on first hit which has a quick mid to follow this tricks high level players into trying to tech and forces them into combo.
They are multiple purpose

In case anyone doesn't understand my explanation there is videos on this:

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
I'm loving him, he's a stagger God, scary throw game, good buttons, great corner carry and corner damage...also he has a bunch of tricky stuff. For example, b132 looks almost identical to b13 bf4, so if they think that you did b132 and they wanna press buttons you can amp the bf4 and get a kb. Also there are some nice armor setups with the wolf.

Zviko

Noob
I'm loving him, he's a stagger God, scary throw game, good buttons, great corner carry and corner damage...also he has a bunch of tricky stuff. For example, b132 looks almost identical to b13 bf4, so if they think that you did b132 and they wanna press buttons you can amp the bf4 and get a kb. Also there are some nice armor setups with the wolf.
There's a big enough gap to full combo punish between BF4 and the amplified version so I wouldn't do that. Whether you finish the string or do the BF4 it's always their turn so you'll probably get punished by amplifying BF4. But the BF4 might hit someone who's trying to flawless block the 2 part of B132.

LawAbidingCitizen

b132 looks almost identical to b13 bf4, so if they think that you did b132 and they wanna press buttons you can amp the bf4 and get a kb.
Don't KnoW if many know this but his B132 has a 8f gap full combo punishable by 7f starters and the Rhino Charge Amp has a 10f gap that's full combo punishable by 9f mids so it shouldn't be used as a mixup.

But I found a decent 50/50 if you have the execution.
312 Ends on an overhead on last hit and KB's and he can stagger the first hit into a microdash into B34 which hits low on same hit the overhead hits making it a 50/50 and in Ancestral Gift the low goes into a throw for 17-19% which is pretty good damage either way. In Matoka Warrior you can hit confirm the low into 30+%.