What's new

Question - Wrestler How do you play Wrestler?

Hey guys, i recently picked up Jax. I started on Heavy Weapons, as i love cancel characters, and i love the pressure you can put on with HW. However, several people have pointed out to me that Wrestler is the better variation, and with F3 going into command throw on hit ( in the beta ) its only going to get better. Even if it doesn't go through, I've been told Wrestler is very strong.

My problem is, the only Jax iv'e known is the one with LAW cancels. In Wrestler do i just have to commit to everything? Do i just spam strings/pokes into GG? On HW i can make stuff safe/hit confirm into OH dash punch, so without that option i'm not sure what to do. Mainly mid screen anyway. Corner is more or less the same from what i can see.

TLDR How do you play Wrestler Jax midscreen. Cheers

Last edited:

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I was wondering this recently as well, but I found B2 doesn't cancel on block so it's safe, and in the corner you can hitconfirm B34 for equally hard hitting combo. F21 is a very nice hitconfirmable advancing mid for combos, so the only things you'll ever need to risk being unsafe on is B3 and F3 midscreen and only midscreen and only if you want to cancel into full combo, but B34 is safe and cancels into Gotcha (also safe) or hitconfirms into Dash punch for a couple 21%, and F3 tick throws (and soon on hit as well) so you aren't by any means required to use those buttons as unsafe options and will rarely want to.

Here's what I've been using midscreen:

11~Mix-ups
D1~Quad
D12~Quad
124~Quad (hitconfirmable tick throw armor breaks too)
F3~Quad
F21~DDP (hitconfirmable)
B2~DDP
B34~DDP (hitconfirmable)

Your opponent will have trouble punishing any of that without armoring through gaps (risky for them too)

I was wondering this recently as well, but I found B2 doesn't cancel on block so it's safe, and in the corner you can hitconfirm B34 for equally hard hitting combo. F21 is a very nice hitconfirmable advancing mid for combos, so the only things you'll ever need to risk being unsafe on is B3 and F3 midscreen and only midscreen and only if you want to cancel into full combo, but B34 is safe and cancels into Gotcha (also safe) or hitconfirms into Dash punch for a couple 21%, and F3 tick throws (and soon on hit as well) so you aren't by any means required to use those buttons as unsafe options and will rarely want to.

Here's what I've been using midscreen:

11~Mix-ups
D1~Quad
D12~Quad
124~Quad (hitconfirmable tick throw armor breaks too)
F3~Quad
F21~DDP (hitconfirmable)
B2~DDP
B34~DDP (hitconfirmable)

Your opponent will have trouble punishing any of that without armoring through gaps (risky for them too)
Thank you very much ! Now just have to get the hit confirming down.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Hey guys, i recently picked up Jax. I started on Heavy Weapons, as i love cancel characters, and i love the pressure you can put on with HW. However, several people have pointed out to me that Wrestler is the better variation, and with F3 going into command throw on hit ( in the beta ) its only going to get better. Even if it doesn't go through, I've been told Wrestler is very strong.

My problem is, the only Jax iv'e known is the one with LAW cancels. In Wrestler do i just have to commit to everything? Do i just spam strings/pokes into GG? On HW i can make stuff safe/hit confirm into OH dash punch, so without that option i'm not sure what to do. Mainly mid screen anyway. Corner is more or less the same from what i can see.

TLDR How do you play Wrestler Jax midscreen. Cheers
Wrestler is good mostly because the gotcha grab is -4 on block in my opinion. Yes you have tick throws too. -4 means you can back dash, block or Ex Overhead if they press buttons. With the comand grab you can choose direction ,so easy corner carry. I am hearing too that his comand grab is going to get better, so yeah Wrestler is really good!

Buiu

Woot
besides the cmd grab and all the tick trows

westlers shines because he get the best thing of the 2 worlds.

energy wave is a better projectile (+8 on block, just dont be predictable using it on a string)

the safe gotcha is better than the interactive gotcha pressuring)

igogorek

Noob
Yes i agree with Bulu. I believe that compared to HW, Wrestler (and Pumped Up) should rely on Energy Wave a lot. It has great advantage and makes your mixups much safer.

But you should always keep in mind that Energy Wave can be neutral ducked and whiff punished.
Lately i try to condition people to anticipate 2 hit strings on 11, 12, f21, d12, 23, b12. And when i see that they block second hit consistently - i replace second hit to energy wave cancel (a bit tough on 11). After that you have 8 frames advantage on block which makes startup of b2/b3 mixup almost safe.
You should be aware of distance here though, cause b2 doesn't have a great range, especially if opponent is ducking.

Another good place to apply b2/b3 mixup is after 11 on hit. I personally can't hitconfirm 11 into bf2d. But i can hitconfirm it and link into safe 50/50 on hit. 11 rarely hits though in my experience.
Thats also try about f21, if its hard for you to hitconfirm and cancel into launcher on hit, you can apply b2/b3 on hit. But timing on link should be good or b2 won't connect.

Another thing i like to do is to condition people to block low on third hit of 123. And when they block it low consistently, i do 12~bf2d overhead.
It is not safe, cause if opponent reads you correctly, you'll get punished on bf2d. But that's what i like about Jax. Most of his tactics though are very strong, still are not guaranteed and can be countered. His db1, db2, bf2 though safe or plus, can be neutral ducked, his launcher is unsafe, his mixup is slow, range dependent and usually require setup, he has gaps.
So if you play against experiensed opponent he can counter many of your tactics and you must adjust. Thats where the fun part starts. =)

Many people sadly just block everything you throw. It can develop the habit of just spamming pressure until they panic and push a button or tick throw on block. Which have fucked me up considerably several times already in more challenging matches.