What's new

Question How do you play "against" Aquaman with Batgirl?

SZSR

Noob
Those members I tagged are Batgirl mains and are able to give you an informed opinion about the character. I do not play Batgirl.

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
It's a really hard match :/ His normals have better range and speed. Cartwheel is the best footsies option in my opinion. Whatever you do, don't jump in on him and don't recklessly dash forward. Just be patient.

I'm still working on this match but it is really tough. You might need to pick up another character specifically for aqua.

It's a really hard match :/ His normals have better range and speed. Cartwheel is the best footsies option in my opinion. Whatever you do, don't jump in on him and don't recklessly dash forward. Just be patient.

I'm still working on this match but it is really tough. You might need to pick up another character specifically for aqua.
I believe Lobo works against aquaman too. I also use him

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Uh Aquaman... to have control of this match you need to do one of two things:
  1. Get a knockdown on him quickly since his wakeups are shitty and you have the advantage there,
  2. For combos/damage launch him quickly. LAUNCH 'IM REAL GOOD. That way trait won't be as much of a problem :)
DON'T jump in too much if at all, if you do jump in you WILL get d2'd since Aquaman's is one of the best in the game. Use empty jumpins cancelled into smoke bombs to bait the d2 but obviously don't do this too much as it's VERY punishable on block.

Cartwheel is probably your best option for a bit of pressure and getting in, mix it up between:
  • Db2u- Side Kick (for frame advantage, this option is whiff punishable by ducking though)
  • Db2- Bat-wheel (hits overhead to catch out those ducking to punish cartwheel up, -14 on block though so not hard to punish)
  • Db2d- Low punch (hits low for another mixup/mindgame, -9 on block so slightly harder to punish)
You can also use cartwheel/up/down after a blocked trident rush (normal or MB) to check the opponent since cartwheel starts up in 12 frames and trident rush is -11, so it won't be backdashable or get beat by another move.
Of course use your vortex when you can to an extent, Aquamans period of traitlessness is probably best for doing vortex. Otherwise, if he has trait but you manage to get a launch, go for damage-optimized combos and try to stuff his wakeups after a knockdown or keep the pressure on.

In general it is a stupid match, but with a bit of patience you might find it a bit easier. The other Batgirl mains can elaborate on anything I've missed here since they'll have played it more than me but this is everything off the top of my head.

Other POSSIBLE solutions: Don't take my word for this but from certain distances you may be able to punish a blocked trident rush with flying bat since trident rush is -11, but that would only be helpful if the Aquaman lands close enough to you at the end of the move. I haven't played the match enough to know if this works so again refer to BG mains more experienced in the matchup, but that's my two pennies (I'd say cents but I'm not American :DOGE)

Edit: Refer to Pan1cmode's post below too

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
It's a challenging MU but it's possible to beat him. I personally think 6-4 but sonicfox and others argue 5-5

Firstly, you've got to condition him to not anti-air you with d2. Punish his d2's with tele so that he won't try and anti-air you as you much. Once you established that, you can use ji3, and on block you get a free vortex mixup (b1 or b2). On hit you can confirm into df2(mb) into vortex.

When you get him in bola and he traits up, use ji2, 12b2/12b3. This allows you to go for an overhead/low mixup into a hard knock down. From there you can dash forward and jump in to make your jump in very ambiguous (whether it crosses up or not). If he blocks correctly, you're still safe.

If he does something unsafe and pops trait to try preventing you from launching him (such as scoop or From the Deep) launch him with df2(MB). As a single hit launcher it nullifies trait.

Look at his trait and life and decide whether or not you wanna use vortex or damage. Damage is nice but AM's wakeups are arse so a hard knockdown basically gives you a vortex anyways.

After trident rush (both MB and non-MB) you get a free cartwheel check that can't be backdashed or beaten out with any of AM's moves.

In terms of footsies, AM's footsies are much better than BGs. His b1 is stupid and cancels into trident rush for chip. If you space really well, you can bait out a b12 and whiff punish with your b12 but it's challenging.