What's new

How do you open people up without run jabs?

Hi everyone,

So I finally started learning UMK3, and I was able to grasp the pressure game & H.Smoke combos (don't worry, just starting with him until I get basics down) very quickly.

However, one of the Columbus players uses Stryker and I had no idea wtf to do with run jabs no longer an option. Seeing as throws are blockable I don't understand how you're supposed to make him do things besides block low, especially with teleport being so unsafe...

Maybe I just don't understand the neutral game yet, and that's the missing link? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance =)

Hi everyone,

So I finally started learning UMK3, and I was able to grasp the pressure game & H.Smoke combos (don't worry, just starting with him until I get basics down) very quickly.

However, one of the Columbus players uses Stryker and I had no idea wtf to do with run jabs no longer an option. Seeing as throws are blockable I don't understand how you're supposed to make him do things besides block low, especially with teleport being so unsafe...

Maybe I just don't understand the neutral game yet, and that's the missing link? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance =)
Kara jab while mixing it up with Human Smokes pop-up. Kara jabbing won't actually do any chip damage, but it might get your opponent to let go of block. Also the pop-up will do chip damage. I would go for the 3 hit pop-up (D+LK, D+LP, HP) and if he is still blocking, don't do the 3rd hit (the HP). You'll recover pretty quickly and you'll be able to continue rushing down.

Keep in mind not to be too overly aggressive against Stryker. He is a great zone and turtle character, however his infinite is very easy to land especially against Male Ninjas. My advice in the match-up would be to get the lead, and just sit back. Human Smoke is also a good zoning character and if he is sitting back, just wait until he's not blocking and teleport. Be weary of baits though. Unsafe teleport against Stryker could end the round. Usually when you both are full screen from each other, a Stryer player will throw out a bomb. Bad idea because this is when you teleport.