What's new

How do you know you have gotten better since you had the game?

oBryant

Noob
When i first started i used to look up to xILLEGAL EAGLEx cus he always used to kick my ass and he inspired me to get better.. last night i totally skirmished him and he quit out on me the second time..

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Just play good players and when you can beat people more and more often you will know you're getting better.

Also, please do not bring up personal experiences with player behavior.

oBryant

Noob
yeah abc about scorpion.. i sometimes have to use him cus people call me a noob for using kano and kunglao..

Lars

Noob
Wooow, you realy gave me second thoughts on a stick there.
To be honest I just want the stick, so I can play the arcades as well.

Not tryying to kill your hope for a stick, as people here will prob hate on me for it

but man..
it's just really frustrating relearning the whole game with a stick

I've got the feel pretty much down, but I just can't put the game all together

I can't kung inf well like I thought I would....

I don't block as well as I can....

my ducking LK's just don't come out as nicely as I do with the d-pad...

idk, the list goes on..

It's got some of my game tighter....

but not much.

Lars

Noob
At the moment i feel im stuck with the pad some moves just come out delayed or slightly off cause of my d-pad. Eh im pretty sure its me and not the controller.
How much did you pay for your stick

No, it's not just you

I bought mine from arcadeinabox

150+ the artwork.

The feeling with feeling stuck with the d-pad drove me to buying one...and it'll push you past your roadblocks...

but..

you'll have to relearn the game first...
whether you wanna do that is up to you

by the way that first post???

thats what happens when I don't smoke pot while playing UMK3

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
onewhite1gold, did you have any stick experience before buying one? If not, then it's going to take a little while to learn. Even if you did and haven't played on one in a long time, it's still going to take a few weeks to get things down. You mentioned you can't Kung inf like you thought you would, but when Summoning got his stick, the first thing he said to me was "I can finally Kung inf again."

"fuck the stupid arcade sticks don't buy em" - thanks man.

I mean, a lot of lower skilled players might be deceived into buying sticks, thinking their game is limited by the d-pad analog because we all bitch about them.

No I had 0 experience before I bought one, but being encouraged a lot by the players on this site, I bought one, in order to improve my playing experience.

That one line you quoted was completely just to show the frustration....

I'd LIKE to think I was a decent player before hand...
It's REALLY discouraging learning one.

That's what i'd like to rephrase my first post into.

So to respond...what do you consider a little while?

I practice hours straight on MAME, focusing straight on diff chars, although this doesn't help my competitive game, i'd like to think I'm better at combos because of it.

but honestly, I don't feel rewarded one bit, except for the fact I can hit ONE move I couldn't before. and lost a lot in the process.

anyway, like you said about the contradicts with the kung inf..

I understand why some people (pajaro, you, summoning) are so able to do an Inf with the stick.

But people like me who learned how to perfect it on the d-pad?
That's hard man.

the motions are difficult for me, because jammin that actuator is really hard for me...maybe because i've broken my left wrist before? I doubt it... i have no idea.

I doubt any of you will read this, and I came off all wrong in the first post, but i'll admit at the time I wanted to. Sorry for foulin up your thread man, not like me.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
9.95 use to play on stick back in the day, but for years has been strictly a pad player. Over the last month or so he's focused on the stick and is now better on stick than he was on pad.

No one is being "deceived" into buying a stick. That is a ridiculous statement as the only thing which limits using the stick is one's own coordination which with time will become second nature. If someone has the money, they should buy a stick and learn how to use it. It's completely worth it for anyone and everyone who can to do so. Every now and then I go back to playing on the gamepad just so I can chat with people in a room and it's DISGUSTING how bad I am on a pad. It took me about 300 matches to specifically learn the 360 pad's nuances to a point where I could at least have some kind of fun. In fact, 90% of the people on this site who have played me, played me when I was on pad.

As for the stick, try utilizing your index finger, thumb, and the inside of your hand for the directions, as MK motions are taps, and utilize at least 4 of your fingers for the buttons, and remember, Run = Right thumb. It's going to take a few weeks to get comfortable. I would maybe just try combos and stuff on MAME for now, and more complex motions.

Look, i'm not trying to win an argument or anything....

I mad a lame ass post, I admit it...
I agree, they're great...

I'm just having a hard time getting it down..
for the 1000000000000x time.

it's terribly frustrating.

hope I can get better with it soon, it's making my crazy sometimes.

Noob
I started playing UMK3 back in the arcade when it was released, back when everyone basically still played it like MK2. I stopped playing it in the arcades before the new style of play really started, I think in 1999 or so, so I had quit playing it in arcades prob. in late 1996 or sometime in 1997 when the SNES/Genesis/Saturn versions came out and then cemented not playing it in arcades when MKT came to the PSX. I hadn't played it in the arcades until about 6 months ago at the Break where I was so totally unfamiliar with the stick that I looked and felt like a complete beginner. I was a complete pad player for over 10 years at that point, however playing Street Fighter was like riding a bike on stick, that I could still do.

Anyway, on topic(I'll get back to the stick play later)... I've know I've gotten better for a few reasons.

1. I no longer play UMK3 like MK2.
2. I win far more games than I did when I first began truly learning how to play UMK3.
3. I accepted THROWING as a usable technique. Alot of people have problems with it.
4. I started playing better competition and learned from losing till I got better.
5. I am now better on stick than I was on pad.

Regarding stick play. The first thing is to NOT give up. No matter HOW frustrated you get, no matter who you lose to, no matter how many trash talkers you KNOW you can beat with the pad... if you commit to the stick, then commit to it. Lose to those players and just keep playing. Eventually it will click. Eventually you'll beat those players and trust me, b/c I just went through this...it will be that much more gratifying to know they can't beat you on EITHER stick or pad...not that you have to switch to a pad just to beat a certain person.

Finding a "comfortable" position for holding the stick is important, but that will come over time. The more chars you use, you'll notice you will change hand position throughout the game anyway. That will come through time and experience...so though it's important, it's a learning process. Use something comfortable for now, and for most moves, try to execute them from the middle to bottom of the stick(like a lever...closer to the base has the shortest distance to move).

I def. recommend spending time just practicing the execution of moves. If you're a H.Smoke user, practice the spear and TP from BOTH SIDES till you can execute them on command. Practice Run Jabs from both sides. If you need to, use the pad for a round and forget watching the screen...watch your hand and see how your hand works for them, then move the mechanic over to the stick. It will take time but the timing mechanics are the same...the big difference is that you use one hand for buttons instead of 2.

Once you get move execution down, then try practicing combos on a dummy 2nd player. Again,practice from both sides. It won't take too terribly long to get these if you have your move execution down. Overall the move from pad to stick will take some time... a month or more. The big difference is that more options are available to you this way. Instead of limiting wrist movement on a pad to press that left bumper, you have 6 buttons and 5 fingers. Charging moves is easier, etc. I could not perform H.Smoke's combo into aaHP, JK, Air Throw on a pad... the timing was just not there. On stick I can do it. I still can't do Sindel's multi-scream combos on pad, but I can on stick. So to be honest, it is true, I know I've gotten better at UMK3 b/c I got a stick.

Tim Static

Adminerator
The whole positioning thing is an issue with me.

Its wierd playing on a stick sitting dowm.

I wish I had a 360 cabinet :(

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I actually stopped playing MK around the MK4 Arcade days due to the game sucking and no comp left. But one major factor for me was MKT on the PlayStation...on a pad. I played it for about 30 minutes and never went back.

To this day I haven't played UMK3/T on a pad since then. I even bought UMK3 for the 360 and didn't play it until I modded my DOA4 Hori Stick to re-arrange the buttons. I would quit the game forever if it meant that I had to use a pad...any pad.

For MKII, though, the SixAxis works perfectly for me. But there is no run button on a shoulder trigger for me to bitch about so it's all good.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Somebody should make a frankenstei controller paddle, and have it set up MK layout, but Run button on left should and some sweet ass Nintendo D-pad.

I knew I was getting better when I played ranked matches and I got into the top thousand. That was a big deal for me!

Everyone has gotten better. Time = Getting better no matter what your skill level was before. I just find it funny that some people who have like 20-30,000 more games played than I beat me and get all excited.:rolleyes: