What's new

How do you feel so far?

elephantvision

Your Cousins, Sisters, 1st cousins favorite gamer
I suggest that all the whiners in this post that seem to think this game needs standardized mids with equal distance and frame data should probably just play "Dive kick". ITs a game that literally only allows you to move back and forth and dive kick.

you'd BE MUCH HAPPIER
I definitely think there should be variety in frame data, reach, etc. However, the current balance is pretty lop-sided I believe.

Maybe all characters aren't built to be used based around their fastest mids?
Uh, which character's gameplan isn't based around their fastest safe mids? Let me list some off the top for you so you can see that mids DEFINE characters in this game:

Frost: b2 range is where she should be. It's her go to string, it's safe, you can stagger it, it's got long range, it's got a little mix. The rest of her kit is there to SUPPORT b2 mixes

Kotal: F2 is his best string by far, the next is f3 a forward advancing low with good range. Those 2 strings DEFINE his game plan. Everything else he has supports putting him at a range where he can use these strings. F1 is used only for whiff punishing.

Shao Kahn- F4, B4, F34- he alternates between grabs sweeps, f3 staggers and punishing with s1 for the majority of his gameplan. You might never use any other strings in neutral for the rest of the match. F2 will get you rocked by people who know to neutral duck at that range.

Jaqui- need i say more. Once she gets in it's 9f mids and a long game of "is it my turn yet"

Liu Kang: the current reigning champion of "is it my turn yet" with f4 being his most used string and the base of his gameplan

Scorpion- f3, teleport- a neutral destroying mid or a safe stagger mid to mix with grab. Scorpion has other nice mids too but these are pretty much all he needs.

Kung Lao- f4 or grab. You've seen Foxy play. It's safe mid or grab. Anything else is risky as hell.

I'm not gonna discuss Erron, Sub, Geras, or Cassie. These should be obvious.

Damn near every character in this game has a tool kit the supports their mid game not the other way around. The way you can test that is that if you remove any character's MAIN mid string they instantly become F-tier. And by MAIN mid i mean a mid that is relatively fast which can somehow be made safe or is staggerable.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm personally getting bored with MK11 and even the tournaments are fairly zzzzzzzzz. Matches look the exact same etc.
I'm actually a little puzzled by this. I thought Combo Breaker and CEO were both pretty exciting, especially the top 8's. They've all had some great matches that went down to the wire, crazy comebacks, surprise characters making an appearance in top 8. There were even good storylines between the players. I'm curious what else you're looking for in a tournament.

I'm actually a little puzzled by this. I thought Combo Breaker and CEO were both pretty exciting, especially the top 8's. They've all had some great matches that went down to the wire, crazy comebacks, surprise characters making an appearance in top 8. There were even good storylines between the players. I'm curious what else you're looking for in a tournament.
The only thing that CEO brought to us was Buffalo's pop-off on Scar but other than that, it was nothing new.

MK11 is a step in the right direction for sure, but as others said, NRS overdid it as usual.

It's inferior to MKX in terms of art direction, overall presentation and variation system... And it won't dethrone MK9 from being the Best MK.

It really is super fun and addictive, a thinking game for sure that demands MU knowledge. However unbalanced KB requirements and FBs are a joke. Every other issue like ridiculous Erron and Geras will be ironed out in the long run, I believe.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
The only thing that CEO brought to us was Buffalo's pop-off on Scar but other than that, it was nothing new.
It had a great match where a Kotal player took down Hayatei's Erron Black. NinjaKilla showed up and played great. There was a Frost appearance in Top 8. Sonic Fox won his first MK11 major. Close matches, high level play. To me it all made for a pretty fun/hype tournament to watch, I'm not sure what else people would be looking for.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
Well, I dismissed this after your first sentences, you don't have to respond to these threads you know? The post idea was to get peoples opinion on the game. If you want to write so much you can try working as a journalist. I also read your last sentence and I feel at no point will I be "taking back my dismissal of your comment." Thanks for playing!
Bum ass scrubby casual whose opinion is completely worthless confirmed. Thanks for not playing.

Icefyre

Shadows
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the single player content in this game is an atrocity, especially the Towers of Time. I still can't understand why they thought that was a good idea.

Besides that, somebody help me put this into better words, but most characters just don't feel like themselves. I don't really feel like I'm playing Liu Kang when I play him, for instance. Kitana doesn't feel like Kitana, etc. Something about most of the characters just feels off.

Other than that and krushing blows, this game really is fantastic in a lot of ways. The gameplay is good, mechanics are neat (though some could use tweaks), balance is fairly solid for the most part. Fun game for sure as long as you're not playing single player content. My friend and I could play MKX for hours upon hours on end, and we can do the same with this game when we find the time (which is super rare at this point, to be fair), but that we have so much fun playing against each other and labbing together for so long speaks volumes to me. Incredible game.

In all, very mixed feelings. Some parts of this game I loathe, other parts I enjoy immensely.

elephantvision

Your Cousins, Sisters, 1st cousins favorite gamer
Uh, which character's gameplan isn't based around their fastest safe mids? Let me list some off the top for you so you can see that mids DEFINE characters in this game:

Frost: b2 range is where she should be. It's her go to string, it's safe, you can stagger it, it's got long range, it's got a little mix. The rest of her kit is there to SUPPORT b2 mixes

Kotal: F2 is his best string by far, the next is f3 a forward advancing low with good range. Those 2 strings DEFINE his game plan. Everything else he has supports putting him at a range where he can use these strings. F1 is used only for whiff punishing.

Shao Kahn- F4, B4, F34- he alternates between grabs sweeps, f3 staggers and punishing with s1 for the majority of his gameplan. You might never use any other strings in neutral for the rest of the match. F2 will get you rocked by people who know to neutral duck at that range.

Jaqui- need i say more. Once she gets in it's 9f mids and a long game of "is it my turn yet"

Liu Kang: the current reigning champion of "is it my turn yet" with f4 being his most used string and the base of his gameplan

Scorpion- f3, teleport- a neutral destroying mid or a safe stagger mid to mix with grab. Scorpion has other nice mids too but these are pretty much all he needs.

Kung Lao- f4 or grab. You've seen Foxy play. It's safe mid or grab. Anything else is risky as hell.

Damn near every character in this game has a tool kit the supports their mid game not the other way around. The way you can test that is that if you remove any character's MAIN mid string they instantly become F-tier. And by MAIN mid i mean a mid that is relatively fast which can somehow be made safe or is staggerable.
You sir are 100% correct. This is a classic case of...... GOT EM!

DeftMonk

Noob
I was kinda thinking about this the other day and an idea dawned upon me...Some chars get blown up going for highs because people are fishing for d2 KB. What if there was a mid KB and a low KB every match too? like short hop a low into OH? juggle state KB. FB a mid into u4? huge ass KB. Would be kinda cool imo.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
My main problem with the game is single player modes of it. Who created those stupid towers of time, ai battle and the krypt i don't know but i have to say they are The Worst single player game ideas i have ever played. i don't even want to talk about the story mode bullshit. Cheap, undetailed, undone and i can not say any positive thing about it. Kronika probably the worst mk boss ever, this bitch looks like a financial director at a medicine company more than a mk boss. Krypt ruined my life cos i didn't get some gear pieces yet, they are not in chests, not in shrine but where? i have asked this questions to wb and nrs, some of the employees said to me we don't know the answer, okay sorry dude i have to ask this question to capcom employees, it is my bad. Some of Nrs guys should explain the krypt asap cos it is turned into Real bullshit now.

i don't have serious problems with the gameplay. it needs to be balanced i agree but not bad. Graphics of the game is an art that i fucking love. Online modes are cool except those wi-fi mofos. please Ban them it is not very hard to get an ethernet connection to your PS4 mofos, you just need a cable.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Say what you will about MKX, but I had way more fun with it. This game is clearly unfinished.
Sure it’s more balanced in the sense that the power gap between top tier and low tier is smaller than it was in MKX, but we still have characters with zero losing matchups and tons of matchups they decisively 6-4. Half the cast has one viable variation while the other is a joke. The characters have much less room for playstyle creativity in high level play here as well. Look at the difference between King’s and Destroyer’s HQT preds, Rewind’s and Sonic’s spec ops Cassies etc and then look at two high level Sonyas in this game. You couldn’t tell them apart.

The combos/juggle mechanics in mk11 are a huge disappointment compared to MKX. They took 3 steps backward in every way possible, except for maybe the fact that there’s no annoying stamina management involved. The amount of depth and creative potential in MKX’s combos was incredible. We were still finding new tech, new optimals, and new ways to connect shit years into the game’s life. It feels like they copy+pasted the injustice gravity mechanics into an MK game. Most characters’ combo threads have now been dead for a month. The emphasis on filling up everyone’s movesets with neutral tools gimped the combo potential immensely. Some variations can’t even combo at all outside of KBs and the corner lmao.

They still haven’t figured out a way to clean up online either. You will still get matched with, and inevitably lose to scorpions and liu kangs playing from their local McDonald’s bathroom stall connected via WiFi to a 25 year old Comcast router who are objectively worse players than you. 150ms ping is ridiculously unplayable for anything competitive, and on top of that it won’t even show the real ping until you get in-game, where it’s usually 30-50ms higher than that displayed in matchmaking. Just keep the WiFi scrubs fighting other WiFi scrubs, I don’t mind a little extra wait between matches.

Don’t even get me started on how dirty they did kotal in this game... “Alright guys, so for his command grab brutality, instead of smashing them face first into the ground multiple times and then throwing them away, kotal... drops them behind him.” “BRUTAL. LET’S DO IT” That’s how I imagine that discussion went. Wtf NRS.

Last edited:

AugustAPC

Not For Sale
I thought costume/character design was really lacking depth in MK9 though. Most of the characters seemed pretty boring and shallow. Characters in MK11 have a lot more depth to me. I really prefer MK11 character design to MK9 any day.
Depth is not a term that I would ever use to design costumes from MK11. I would say over-designed, in some cases, lacking in color, absolutely and horribly forgettable. Simplicity is not inherently a bad thing. Sometimes less can accomplish a hell of a lot more, and that's certainly the case with a lot of characters in MK11. Some, if not the vast majority, of the most memorable and iconic costumes are very simplistic, but are still vibrant and memorable. Look at Wolverine, Superman, Spider-Man, Batman, hell... the classic MK ninja look. All timeless, memorable and striking. They stand out, like they should. These are not ordinary characters living in ordinary worlds governed by ordinary logic.

It's funny, you google "KItana MK11" and you'll see close to no pictures of her actual primary costume... because it's fuckin' horrible. No one wants to use it with it's ugly, faded colors and generic armor aesthetic. All you see is the living alternate with the bolder blue that actually presents some contrast to the deeper black. But then, it's little more than a full-body leotard with a pattern and WoW shoulder-pads.

I mean, characters like Cassie, Sonya and Jacqui could get lost in a sea of military NPCs. Noob Saibot looks like he belongs more in Bloodborne than MK. Skarlett and Jade look like they'd be more at home in Tatooine.

I'm just tired of established franchises, with distinct visual styles getting transformed, by the political climate and/or need for gritty realism, into tepid, watered-down versions of their former selves.

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm just tired of established franchises, with distinct visual styles getting transformed, by the political climate and/or need for gritty realism, into tepid, watered-down versions of their former selves.
I just find the designs in MK11 to be far more interesting. Most of the female characters in MK9 are just eye-rollingly dumb to me. Skimpy outfit designed primarily to cater to an adolescent male audience. If a distinct visual style is basically treating female characters as pin-up girls, I find that boring, so I'm happy with the change.

AugustAPC

Not For Sale
I just find the designs in MK11 to be far more interesting. Most of the female characters in MK9 are just eye-rollingly dumb to me. Skimpy outfit designed primarily to cater to an adolescent male audience. If a distinct visual style is basically treating female characters as pin-up girls, I find that boring, so I'm happy with the change.
I'm sorry that exposed skin, specifically in females, apparently causes you to ignore every other aspect of their character and dismiss them as pinup models. I also find your comment that their designs only cater to young males to be blatantly ignorant. My last girlfriend loved sexual female designs in games like Mortal Kombat and Dead or Alive. She was also bisexual, for what it's worth, but I'm not about to say that is the only thing that factored into her preferences.

Perhaps you would consider looking at the excessive nature of Mortal Kombat, and how, during it's life, it has not only been applied to gore, but also fantasy, vulgarity, humor and sexuality. It's all escapism.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
I'm sorry that exposed skin, specifically in females, apparently causes you to ignore every other aspect of their character and dismiss them as pinup models. I also find your comment that their designs only cater to young males to be blatantly ignorant. My last girlfriend loved sexual female designs in games like Mortal Kombat and Dead or Alive. She was also bisexual, for what it's worth, but I'm not about to say that is the only thing that factored into her preferences.

Perhaps you would consider looking at the excessive nature of Mortal Kombat, and how, during it's life, it has not only been applied to gore, but also fantasy, vulgarity, humor and sexuality. It's all escapism.
Gore good tiddies bad

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
I think MK11 is excellent and it caters to a crowd that likes to play a lot slower and smarter about their next moves and overall gameplan. That being said, if it wasn’t for the Flawless Block mechanic in this game, I would say MKX has far more depth. For MKX, the execution to play some of the characters in that game was insane. There were some characters whose 3 variations played DRASTICALLY different from each other with different execution barriers. The variety when it comes to creativity, diversity, and overall “swag” in MK11 just feels bland.

All you see is the living alternate with the bolder blue that actually presents some contrast to the deeper black. But then, it's little more than a full-body leotard with a pattern and WoW shoulder-pads.
yep really underwhelming design. I was hoping that they wouldn't give Kitana an outfit as stupidly boring and ugly as that from MKvDCU... but no, they pretty much did.

And don't forget Jade's B3 which can be used for staggers, conditioning into the full string which is +6 on block AND can be made into a mix with B343 into MBGlaive for false pressure.

The fact you even have to sit here and say this is sad.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
The more I've been able to play, the more I just find the game goofy. The hitbox issues, getting hit when you crossed someone over, neutral jumping in 120+ ping is godlike, Erron Black having a 10 frame full screen fatal blow, etc. I could make a massive list. I'm finding myself laughing a lot while I play. I like to laugh and all, but this is more like laughing at something.

My not so bold prediction is that this game will die down as quickly as Injustice 2 did.

Last edited: