What's new

How do you feel about Liu Kang? (General Discussion)

jkd626619mma

C88 Kajukenbo
Sweet! I like his rushdown as well. (favorite thing to do) In most cases he can zone when he feels like it. And Parry for whenever your opponent thinks it's a good idea to jump at you. Realistically I'd put him around the middle as well. (a little higher actually) His wake-up game is horrendus. (higher level players take advantage of this...)
yo check out this link to see my liu in action;

jkd626619mma

C88 Kajukenbo
Kang in my opinion is at 10th place in top 10... he has really good tools for almost every situation. The only thing he lacks is a wake up game... other than this, he is a very dangerous character... and i believe he is hardest to master...
OMG I AM TRULY YOUR BIGGEST FAN FOR SHOWING EVERYONE WHAT KANG CAN DO

AssassiN

Noob
jkd626619mma

Good Liu Kang, good stuff.
Just 2 two things:
- You use parry too much :p, did that in the beginning of the game as well. When people play against you enough, they know it's coming => bait and punish. Also parry is unreliable as a wake-up attack.
- When you win an air-to-air punch, don't do projectile. You can do a +- 28% combo after that, 28% > 8%.

Also, the forum has an edit button. Use it :p.

Zyns

Grodd for Injustice 3
Awesome character! Very underrated, only has one glaring weakness (wakeups). Few bad matchups
My only gripe with him is that he gets boring after a while. I'm normally a big fan of technical characters, but I'm way too loyal to my Woo Kang to ever drop him.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Awesome character! Very underrated, only has one glaring weakness (wakeups). Few bad matchups
My only gripe with him is that he gets boring after a while. I'm normally a big fan of technical characters, but I'm way too loyal to my Woo Kang to ever drop him.
Traitor.

jkd626619mma

C88 Kajukenbo
jkd626619mma

Good Liu Kang, good stuff.
Just 2 two things:
- You use parry too much :p, did that in the beginning of the game as well. When people play against you enough, they know it's coming => bait and punish. Also parry is unreliable as a wake-up attack.
- When you win an air-to-air punch, don't do projectile. You can do a +- 28% combo after that, 28% > 8%.

Also, the forum has an edit button. Use it :p.
uh aight but good lookin out the fireball is just for safety

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
I picked up Liu Kang as my tertiary for a while. Was getting beat left and right, so I dropped him.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
How do I feel about Kang? Love, love, love the character (always have since early mk days)
I've been thinking about making him my permanent secondary but I need more play time with him to get a complete feel for the character.

I'm a little confused about him in some aspects. Namely, some of his strings seem pointless. I'm a firm believer that every move has a use SOMEWHERE, but some things seem almost useless outside of combos.

D1: at 10 frames this is definitely overshadowed by most of the casts' d1s. +5 on hit is great but at -9 on block i can't see why i would d1 over his 10 frame b3 which leads to a full combo/is safe on block

F2/F24: Again, good advantage on hit +2/ +8 respectively. Only use i can think of is mixing up whether or not i'm going to finish the string. 0 on block, can't be all bad.

B2/B2B3/B23: Seems like F2 in the way it's a mixup. I catch people with the b3 often, but gimmicks aside it's basically fishing for a hit to get that +4. B2 can't really be hit confirmed into 3 but you can get a nice 20% off of it. Doesn't B23 give random advantage off block? I'm not one to rely on these things, but it's still something.

334: I like standing 3 for it's range. +6 on hit for standing 3 is awesome, -5 on block isn't won't kill you, but it's definitely not desirable. 3 3 4 is neutral on block, maybe 3 on block can be hit confirmed into 334?

F43: F4 is gdlk. I can't seem to find any use for f43 though. -10 on block and missing out on that fat +14? Not even worth it.

What do you guys think about some of these strings? Just looking at the frame data tells me Kang is meant to be as unpredictable as possible to fish for hits/+ frames to keep pressuring. I love the idea, but what really stops me from b312/f3ing people to death?

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
How do I feel about Kang? Love, love, love the character (always have since early mk days)
I've been thinking about making him my permanent secondary but I need more play time with him to get a complete feel for the character.

I'm a little confused about him in some aspects. Namely, some of his strings seem pointless. I'm a firm believer that every move has a use SOMEWHERE, but some things seem almost useless outside of combos.

D1: at 10 frames this is definitely overshadowed by most of the casts' d1s. +5 on hit is great but at -9 on block i can't see why i would d1 over his 10 frame b3 which leads to a full combo/is safe on block

F2/F24: Again, good advantage on hit +2/ +8 respectively. Only use i can think of is mixing up whether or not i'm going to finish the string. 0 on block, can't be all bad.

B2/B2B3/B23: Seems like F2 in the way it's a mixup. I catch people with the b3 often, but gimmicks aside it's basically fishing for a hit to get that +4. B2 can't really be hit confirmed into 3 but you can get a nice 20% off of it. Doesn't B23 give random advantage off block? I'm not one to rely on these things, but it's still something.

334: I like standing 3 for it's range. +6 on hit for standing 3 is awesome, -5 on block isn't won't kill you, but it's definitely not desirable. 3 3 4 is neutral on block, maybe 3 on block can be hit confirmed into 334?

F43: F4 is gdlk. I can't seem to find any use for f43 though. -10 on block and missing out on that fat +14? Not even worth it.

What do you guys think about some of these strings? Just looking at the frame data tells me Kang is meant to be as unpredictable as possible to fish for hits/+ frames to keep pressuring. I love the idea, but what really stops me from b312/f3ing people to death?
Hm, d1 lowers his hitbox, good for some wake-ups. (such as Kitana's fanlift)

I believe f2 and b2 are neutral on block, and hits mid. Good pressure tools, most people will block low for the b2b3. I think f4 is the only one that has random frame advantage. I'll have to check though.

33 is similar to 11, so I only ever used it in combos. XBlades used this string against me a few times, though I thik he was trolling. (he had a considerable life lead...)

f4 by itself is great. f43? Again maybe for combos, but as you said, seems pointless outside of combos.

2 things I found pointless were

DS 2 and 112. No use. None. (imo)

Hanzer0

Hm, d1 lowers his hitbox, good for some wake-ups. (such as Kitana's fanlift)

I believe f2 and b2 are neutral on block, and hits mid. Good pressure tools, most people will block low for the b2b3. I think f4 is the only one that has random frame advantage. I'll have to check though.

33 is similar to 11, so I only ever used it in combos. XBlades used this string against me a few times, though I thik he was trolling. (he had a considerable life lead...)

f4 by itself is great. f43? Again maybe for combos, but as you said, seems pointless outside of combos.

2 things I found pointless were

DS 2 and 112. No use. None. (imo)
thanks for the quick reply!
I love DS2! Great range and awesome whiff punisher if you happen to dodge something with stance. 112 I would agree with but with so much swag you can't NOT chip someone out with it :p

D1 makes a bit more sense now, but with d4 only 2 frames slower.. I'm not completely sold (although d4 does get blown up if they jump).

How do you feel about 1/111 mixup? I've been experimenting in the lab. Think it's good for fishing with when you expect opponents to try and jump out of pressure? The hitbox looks pretty high up there, but I can't tell if it's actually higher than 2's (damn that thing's good for AA)

Edit: Oh and F1 alone can't be worth much either, can it?

Edit2: What about 12? The launcher on the end doesn't really compare to 213 or b312

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
thanks for the quick reply!
I love DS2! Great range and awesome whiff punisher if you happen to dodge something with stance. 112 I would agree with but with so much swag you can't NOT chip someone out with it :p

D1 makes a bit more sense now, but with d4 only 2 frames slower.. I'm not completely sold (although d4 does get blown up if they jump).

How do you feel about 1/111 mixup? I've been experimenting in the lab. Think it's good for fishing with when you expect opponents to try and jump out of pressure? The hitbox looks pretty high up there, but I can't tell if it's actually higher than 2's (damn that thing's good for AA)

Edit: Oh and F1 alone can't be worth much either, can it?

Edit2: What about 12? The launcher on the end doesn't really compare to 213 or b312
Hm, I'll have to check DS 2 out.

I think 1 hits high and (1)1 hits mid. I use 2 for AA, has a bigger hitbox and comes out faster. If you think they're gonna jump out of pressure just use 2. 2 is neutral on block and it'll AA them if they try crossover or jump away. I'll have to see what 1 is, but I do know 2 is 8 frames, which is his fastest standing jab.

f1 does seem pretty useless, your at a disadvantage on block. I doubt anyone would use it after a jip or to combo, as it doesn't lead anywhere. (unless your trying to get someone full-screen, which is f121) f12 is neutral, and chips. So I do believe f1 is useless.

Thank for asking/commenting! Noyone checks the Liu forums. I guess everyone thinks he's all b312. :(

Hanzer0

I guess everyone thinks he's all b312. :(
Says the online idiots.
I once had someone message me "Liu kang infinite your so good"
If you'd block low in the corner, you wouldn't be getting your ass kicked to infinity! I actually have so much fun with kang up close. His mix ups are so hard to read if he's played well. I don't think even johnny cage can mix it up like he does.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Says the online idiots.
I once had someone message me "Liu kang infinite your so good"
If you'd block low in the corner, you wouldn't be getting your ass kicked to infinity! I actually have so much fun with kang up close. His mix ups are so hard to read if he's played well. I don't think even johnny cage can mix it up like he does.
Yea, XBlades corner pressure is freakin' ridiculous. Funny, Liu doesn't have an "infinite", as opposed to Jax or Cyrax. (or even Cage!) I think Liu has the most mix-up options in the game (overhead and low). One of my favorite things to do with Liu is after you knock them down I go into DS, and since the DS 3 takes 14% of your life away, they block high. So I dash in and b312 their ass.

Interesting fact: MK Peanuts has nailed the f3 six times in a row. I've only nailed it 4 times in a row. b312 ftw!

AssassiN

Noob
DS+2 as a whiff punisher is no good, takes some time and is unsafe on block(if they were able to block in time).
I like to use B1 + fireball for 12% or B1 + bicycle kick for 18%. Fireball is when you don't know if he'll block in time(safe on block).

F43 itself is useless, F4 isn't.
0 on block and +20 on hit(which is freaking ridiculous for one normal), people know that B3 is negative on block so you can trick them by using F4 and following up with 213 as bait.