What's new

how do you deal with zoning?

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
my biggest weakness is being zoned. i have no idea how to get over hamburger hill. ive tried dashing, air dash, slowly creeping up, and etc. slowly walking forward does help until a overhead is thrown out then i find myself taking a step back. how do you approach being zoned with ww? i truly need the help.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Any spedific character? Because you can block and just dash, in some MUs you can parry, IADG, Air dash... It's not that hard most of the times but you gotta be so patient and know your oponent's zoning options.

Drizzle

Jump and shoot.
Walking and blocking is the safest way of course, and often the best. Most projectiles give you a free dash if you block or duck them so knowing when you get those is important. What overheads are you getting hit by when walking in? Most don't have great range and there aren't any that out-range your own b2. Once you're in b2 range you're not "in" but it has to be respected by most characters. Other than walking, iaDG is your best bet because most characters can't punish it; even if you're not perfect in your execution. Jumping is useful vs some characters as well because j3 can be difficult to anti-air in a lot of situations. The same goes for airdashes. Some characters have an easier time dealing with them than others. Really, this is all pretty general and it might be easier if you named which characters/tools you're having trouble with.

Drizzle

Jump and shoot.
It's pretty easy to walk Harley down and block high on reaction to her air gunshots. If she's in the air at all, be ready to block high and even if you get hit a few times, it's fine because they only do 4%. That's nothing compared to what you do in one combo. MB cupcakes are very + and give her a free gunshot so just take it and move on. She can't contend with your normals at all and WoWo has no problems anti-airing her either. iaDG is not that great vs horizontal projectiles so I wouldn't use it unless you have a hard read on her doing air guns. Ground guns are also + on block so you don't want to dash recklessly. Harley really can't keep WoWo out for too long if you just play patiently.

Last edited:

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
Pretty much what @Drizzle and @EMPEROR_SunFire said. Its knowing the MUs and knowing when to utilize ji3, air dashes, blocking then dashing, IADM, and in the right range, Amazonian Smash. Also to pay attention to their meter and what it's used for. Like someone like Sinestro for example. If he shoots a FB and has no meter to spend, its a guaranteed dash, and then some. If he does have meter, simply just wait for his short window to delay MB passes and that's when you'd move in.

If you wanna get technical, WW's full dash, as in duration with recovery, is only 18f. Anything that's at least -12 on block, will guarantee a dash forward. That, or anything where's there is an 18f gap between two different hits. Such as for example (solely an example), the hit you with a projectile that's +8, the fastest move that they can throw out to catch you from a distance has to be at slowest 26f, so you should be able to always dash forward and block right on time even though they were plus. But yeah, all in all, it's knowing the MUs

Last edited:

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
so basically take my sweet time walking in until i can make a move. gonna be tedious. whats the consensus on shield charge?

TKB

Noob
i think ppl say that due to frustration. some characters have better tools for getting in. it can be a dauntig task against a good zoner that makes good reads.
It also depends on the character. Some you can get around with air dashing while others(like Deathstroke, hawkgirl, etc.) keep you grounded. Zoning used to frustrate me real bad until I learned to be patient and block>dash or block>walk forward. Hell I still have trouble with it from time to time lol you'll get it. :)