What's new

How do you deal with cross-up jumps?

SaLB71

Noob
Greetings everyone, I've been lurking this forum since the launch of MK11 to learn and improve in this game and I thank everyone for their contribution to new players like me.

The other day, half way into grandmaster (Raiden -Cage main) I played against a Kung Lao who used repeatedly cross-up jumps, since I couldn't D2 (frame advantage and switching sides), and when I tried to D1 I took the jk, and I blocked the jk I was so negative that i had to deal with the coming mix up. Obviously I lost the set 2-1 without knowing how to deal with that move.

Is there a way to counter that move?,what's your strategy against those situations?

Wigy

There it is...
Antiair earlier.

Cages d2 is one of the best in the game. Fast and hits all over your head.
If you catch them on top of your head you can get a 121 shadow kick.

Crossup jump kicks you need to do immediately cause they are very hard to antiair once they pass your head unless you have a lowprofiling poke antiair.

If it's baraka just hold that shit til you die cause he has some stank feet that are impossible to antiair

Last edited:

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Greetings everyone, I've been lurking this forum since the launch of MK11 to learn and improve in this game and I thank everyone for their contribution to new players like me.

The other day, half way into grandmaster (Raiden -Cage main) I played against a Kung Lao who used repeatedly cross-up jumps, since I couldn't D2 (frame advantage and switching sides), and when I tried to D1 I took the jk, and I blocked the jk I was so negative that i had to deal with the coming mix up. Obviously I lost the set 2-1 without knowing how to deal with that move.

Is there a way to counter that move?,what's your strategy against those situations?
You can dash out against a crossup jump generally. Still a hard situation though.

Doesn‘t reliably work against some characters though. Flawless blocking is probably the best answer for the almost impossible to anti air jik‘s. Also works wonders against geras stupid crossup attacks.
But if they empty jump and go into a normal you’re screwed

kcd117

Noob
It depends on the character.

With Shang and Jade D2 is a really good answer for crossups if you don’t react too late.

With Noob I just wait and do a D4 as it hits 95% of the cast out of their crossups.

With Kano I simply accept the fact that NRS has designed a game with a very strong air normals and decided it would be too much to give some character any real decent answer to them.