What's new

How do you adapt to INJ2 after MKX?

LightsOut

'sup?
Hello everybody!

I am having a huge trouble adapting to injustice 2, its mechanics, and well.. the game's flow.

A little background:
I had never played any fighting game until MKX came out. I slowly learned the game, had fun even after i was losing, because i could feel myself growing stronger after every single loss i took. Eventually i became pretty decent at the game (80% wins in online with over 4000 matches played), even won a couple of local tournaments.

Then I found out that Injustice 2 was gonna come out, and i also found out that its made by the same developers, I was hyped as hell and purchased the game on release day.

But now i am struggling to adapt to the game. I can't play without the block button, without running, with all these keep-away characters in the game. It's 10 times slower than MKX too.
Now, I am not saying all of this is bad. I am just not able to get used to all of this.

Every time i play i lose to every scrub ever and get mad (just smashed one of my controllers against the wall after i lost to a catwoman only doing meterburn b3's). I do, however, have a strong wish to learn this game, but it slowly fades away each time I play online ranked. Honestly, right now I'm having more fun playing multiverse towers than real opponents.

So far ive learned batman, robin and the flash. But i just cant win.
I am a fan of the up-close rushdown playing style, I find zoning very boring.
Also, I'm not trying to become a pro or anything. I just want to have fun.

If anybody could share some tips on how to adapt to Injustice 2, it would be greatly appreciated!
If there's a similar thread, please link me to it.

Thank you!

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I had the exact same problem for about a month and to be honest I can't give a concrete solution besides just playing more, though you could try to get someone to get into online practice with you. He/she could then randomly pressure you or try to use mixups. That way you can get used to the way blocking works.

DavesHotnJuicy

jmack_215
I would say be more patient while playing matches. MKX Matches were very quick while this game is slower imo. U have to play smart Bc you only can "clash" once. Whereas in MKX you could break multiple times in a round.

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
Neutral jump is your friend. I wasn't used to doing njk into full combos, but it's now a tool I use for pressure and to counter advancing normals not properly spaced. Spacing is so important in this game; more so than MKX imo.

inj1 player here, so Idk if I'll be the best of help. But I'd stop playing ranked. Instead, I'd play player (re)matches, or learn mean set ups in practice.

I don't think ranked or the multiverse is helping you learn.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Normal 3s in the Injustice series game do INSANE damage compared to MK. B3s and f3s obviously would because they're exclusive to Injustice. But j3s and d3s also hit crazy hard. Be weary of those, you can lose a ton of health very quickly even when it doesn't look like they're doing much.

The wakeup system is also much different since instead of using meter to wake up with armor, you now have invincibility frames. Some have complete invincibility, partial, and some have none. So now you have to learn which wakeups have said invincibility frames and which don't. You also have to learn the timing to stuff wakeups with partial invincibility. It's not nearly as straightforward as in MKX. I don't know if there's a list up anywhere or not.

On characters that have ridiculously tough to anti-air jump-ins, try to trip guard them or dash under them. You'll learn through experience who can be AA'd and who can't.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Getting used to the blocking style was the first thing I had to get used to.also getting in with Batman is fairly easy relatively speaking with his trait giving lots of block stun. Learning to not press trait for certain characters was huge for me as an adjustment from mkx to IJ2. Learn when to utilize MB roll and when to just slowly move in. At this point I'd tell u to just keep playing with player matches (most ppl will turn on comp mode I find) to learn and hv long sets

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
As a very first timer in INJ2, it took me a while to get used to its mechanisms.

At first, I had a hard time getting used to those more strict timings around the combos as Captain Cold. Unlike MKX, I cannot (and won't) do the crossup jump ins, because they're too risky, so risky that they need a good distance and timing to land on the exact position.

Gradually, with the help and tips from others I have almost gotten used to the deep mechanisms.

The rest is second nature. It just needs time and a lot of training to get used to this weird controller input layout.

R_H_B

Noob
I would say try and get used to anti airing and following up with your character's best combos off an AA. Use mb b3 and f3's when appropriate as if they were armor in mkx. For instance in a situation where you're slightly negative. Try to use down to block whenever possible because it will save you from left right mix ups. It's a process but you will adapt eventually.

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
If you like "in your face" and fast paced kind of playstyle I would highly suggest Cheetah. I've had the exact same problem and so far she's the only character I can stick with. Did I mention she's hella fun?

Last edited:

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
Hello everybody!

I am having a huge trouble adapting to injustice 2, its mechanics, and well.. the game's flow.

A little background:
I had never played any fighting game until MKX came out. I slowly learned the game, had fun even after i was losing, because i could feel myself growing stronger after every single loss i took. Eventually i became pretty decent at the game (80% wins in online with over 4000 matches played), even won a couple of local tournaments.

Then I found out that Injustice 2 was gonna come out, and i also found out that its made by the same developers, I was hyped as hell and purchased the game on release day.

But now i am struggling to adapt to the game. I can't play without the block button, without running, with all these keep-away characters in the game. It's 10 times slower than MKX too.
Now, I am not saying all of this is bad. I am just not able to get used to all of this.

Every time i play i lose to every scrub ever and get mad (just smashed one of my controllers against the wall after i lost to a catwoman only doing meterburn b3's). I do, however, have a strong wish to learn this game, but it slowly fades away each time I play online ranked. Honestly, right now I'm having more fun playing multiverse towers than real opponents.My friend i feel your pain . Everything you said , i agree . specially , the multiverse part lol The game is to slow and too sloppy . doesnt feel a supehero fighting game . just go back to mkx and have fun .

So far ive learned batman, robin and the flash. But i just cant win.
I am a fan of the up-close rushdown playing style, I find zoning very boring.
Also, I'm not trying to become a pro or anything. I just want to have fun.

If anybody could share some tips on how to adapt to Injustice 2, it would be greatly appreciated!
If there's a similar thread, please link me to it.

Thank you!

LightsOut

'sup?
inj1 player here, so Idk if I'll be the best of help. But I'd stop playing ranked. Instead, I'd play player (re)matches, or learn mean set ups in practice.

I don't think ranked or the multiverse is helping you learn
I'm starting to think that way too.
Problem is that in player matches people do not turn on competitive mode. And gear is some cheese with certain characters

LightsOut

'sup?
I would say be more patient while playing matches. MKX Matches were very quick while this game is slower imo. U have to play smart Bc you only can "clash" once. Whereas in MKX you could break multiple times in a round.
Yeah took me a while to understand the clash system too, sometimes I break early because of my mkx habit.

LightsOut

'sup?
I would say try and get used to anti airing and following up with your character's best combos off an AA. Use mb b3 and f3's when appropriate as if they were armor in mkx. For instance in a situation where you're slightly negative. Try to use down to block whenever possible because it will save you from left right mix ups. It's a process but you will adapt eventually.
Interesting idea. As an mkx player I was really bad at AAs. Gonna lab this more now, thanks.

LightsOut

'sup?
I had the exact same problem for about a month and to be honest I can't give a concrete solution besides just playing more, though you could try to get someone to get into online practice with you. He/she could then randomly pressure you or try to use mixups. That way you can get used to the way blocking works.
You wanna play sometime? I'm EU and judging from your username, you are too. Hah

LightsOut

'sup?
don't try holding the block button
This might sound stupid but after a month of playing inj2 I still sometimes press the block button. Especially in critical situations while in panic mode lol. That messes me up plenty of times.

And the teleporting characters are a nightmare to deal with for me right now

LightsOut

'sup?
If you like "in your face" and fast paced kind of playstyle I would highly suggest Cheetah. I've had the exact same problem and so far she's the only character I can stick with. Did I mention she's hella fun?
Hmm that leap across the screen move she has looks interesting tbh.

Gonna lab her and see what I can do. Thank you!

LightsOut

'sup?
The wakeup system is also much different since instead of using meter to wake up with armor, you now have invincibility frames. Some have complete invincibility, partial, and some have none. So now you have to learn which wakeups have said invincibility frames and which don't. You also have to learn the timing to stuff wakeups with partial invincibility. It's not nearly as straightforward as in MKX. I don't know if there's a list up anywhere or not.
That is actually new information for me. Seems like I need to do my homework before I can go and play vs real opponents haha.

Thanks!

DrZmmm

Noob
I'm mainly just trying/struggling to adjust to the b3 & f3 aspect along with hardknock downs/wakeup armors... at this point.

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
What does having a clash to do with the argument of adapting to the game ?!!!!!! MKX has a faster pace while injustice is slower ?!! really ?!! you found that by yourself ?!! Are you trying to say you dont have to play it smart in mkx ?!!! its actually harder because you have more things come your way and you have to take decisions in a less period of time . i inderstand your point , but injustice is more about zoning and being patient . being patient doesnt mean you have to be smarter than MKX .it just means its slower and more boring lol Has for multiple breackers ....yes , you have some breackers but you dont gain health back lol

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Turtling in is trickier in this game, what I like to do is briefly crouch then react to overheads since they're much slower and aren't as abundant in this game.