What's new

How do I punish perma-blockers with Scorpion?

Pancakes

Noob
I have people just blocking all day online and I'm struggling to hit anything as they block and grab the entire time. With very little options for low attacks, it seems pretty easy to block all my moves.

Any tips on how to deal with people that only block and never go offensive?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
You gotta condition them with f3, f34, f32 (in searing rage variation) and f3 into throw. Also his b143 string is safe (-5), and you can hit confirm the b1 and cancel on the b14 into teleport for a combo. If they block b1 just go into b143. Other than that you need to play footsies. He doesn’t have an OH combo starter, so if they know the MU it’s hard to open them up. He doesn’t have real mixups as far as OH’s and Low’s that lead to combos. He has OH’s and Low’s within strings but if they know the MU those are very easy to block. His low starter leads to a combo but he doesn’t have an OH starter that does. Also you can hit confirm the f423. f423 is safe, so if f4 hits, cancel the f42 into a spear or teleport for a combo. If f4 is blocked go into f423.

Another strat after f3 for V2 aka Searing Rage. F3 stagger into f4 (low), and f32 (oh). It’s fuzzyable tho. They can block high first then low. So it’s not a true mixup. But sometimes gimmicks are worth throwing out as they will work sometimes,

Essentially, play more patiently with Scorpion. Play more fundamentals, footsies, spacing, etc. Also jump in mix ups are good. It’s all about conditioning.

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
I'm still convinced Reborn is the better of the variations. If you end in spear 21 teleport cancel. you're plus 4 and right next to them. I never see anyone play it though.
That's because not many ppl want to give up damage for the ability to mix up legitimately in Reborn. Scorpion is already weaker than other characters without Burning Spear when it comes to damage output. Its a hard trade to make unless you are seriously confident in your ability to repeatedly get in and get damage consistently.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
As Jade player, Scorpion is my hardest matchup by far.
He controls space very well with teleport and literally everything he does is safe. As soon as he has meter, he can bait out anything and punish with a full combo and then continue walking away. Gain a bit of life lead and then just keep running away.

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
As Jade player, Scorpion is my hardest matchup by far.
He controls space very well with teleport and literally everything he does is safe. As soon as he has meter, he can bait out anything and punish with a full combo and then continue walking away. Gain a bit of life lead and then just keep running away.
Well yeah. Jade, Skarlet... zoner heavy characters' worst matchup will be anyone with a teleport that puts them behind you. Its funny that you mention running away though as that's what you zoner types usually do first :p

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Easier said than done. Not everyone is comfortable playing a defensive sort of style. You need a certain level of confidence in your ability to read and punish before you can do this and not get pushed onto the back foot.
Practice. Let perma blockers come to you, so you actually have the advantage. Staying in their face is not gonna help. Keep them at bay, control the space and punish slow moves or whiffs. The only way you get that experience is by playing online or offline, and playing a lot.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I'm still convinced Reborn is the better of the variations. If you end in spear 21 teleport cancel. you're plus 4 and right next to them. I never see anyone play it though.
It could be better tbh. I’ve seen some people use it and tried it out myself. But I haven’t had too much time with the game to really explore other stuff yet. The only real reason I’m using Searing Rage is because you get more damage and death spin has some good utility. Plus I liked the f32 added string but against good players that’s never gonna hit unless the f3 connects off a punish or footsies. So Reborn probably is better, I’ll start messing with it more.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Well yeah. Jade, Skarlet... zoner heavy characters' worst matchup will be anyone with a teleport that puts them behind you. Its funny that you mention running away though as that's what you zoner types usually do first :p
I don't, no. I stand my ground mid-screen and good luck getting past that wall without teleport. :D

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
With how much ppl are literally crying/screaming for nerfs NOW... I want to see the day when Misery Blade becomes allowed in Tournament/Ranked.

If its 'crying' now, it will be the denizens of Hell wailing then...

Coz unlike right now, Misery Blade legitimately fucks you up due to how 50/50 Scorpion's strings are with that move, not to mention he CANNOT BE PUNISHED when pressuring with it.

Well without teleport cancel you are even more plus and still in grab range but not totally in face (which is even better for scorpion). The idea is good but I do not think it is practical, yet. Good to know about all the options though and drop everything to the opponent to mess up his mind. :)

I like Searing Rage more. F32 threat to make F3 stagger better after F34 Krushing blow.
Cancel gives other threat though which is also worth to play around - F3, B2 hitconfirm into tele cancel is even possible which is awesome with good execution!

Fortunately both variations are strong and can fine tune a certain match up or the playstyle of the player. Not every character can say this!!!

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Stagger your strings. If people are holding block and respecting your offense then you need to use that to your advantage. F4 into another F4.F3 into throw. Options are endless pretty much when your opponent is just going to hold block.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Keep your F34 Krushing Blow saved until late in the second round. (Try to win the first round with no KB’s used, only fatal blow)

In the first round, only use F34, don’t stagger f3 grab as there is nothing to fear. Use F34 as much as possible, force the opponent to Flawless block, or just block, and then grabs are easier to land from F3 in later rounds.

Into the second round, hold 4 on F34 and start to hit opponents with your KB, cuse, in the second round, taking damage means more, and now f3 grab becomes a thing.

If you are hitting f3 grab early, then the opponent doesn’t know the match. As they can easy d1. Of course you could be a complete potato and just use F32 teleport, but im assuming you are trying to play higher than that...

Use 21, it’s +2, gives you a d1 and d3 first, this frees grabs. The point is to make opponents release block when expecting throws.

Once you are doing all of this, just hit confirm b14 into 3 on block, or tele on hit.

He’s super simple, try this out.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
You could try sending your opponents PSN messages accusing them of spamming blocking, denigrating their play style, and questioning their worth as a human being.

At least that’s seems to be the most popular counter strategy for good defense online.

I have people just blocking all day online and I'm struggling to hit anything as they block and grab the entire time. With very little options for low attacks, it seems pretty easy to block all my moves.

Any tips on how to deal with people that only block and never go offensive?
Keep grabbing them until they learn to stop blocking

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Why end in 21 tele cancel when you can just use s4? S4 is +18, does more damage and doesn't take a defensive bar.