What's new

How Do I Defeat Robin Players (I main Black Manta/Supergirl)?

Stevie Steelz

I break muthaf****s...
This is one of the match ups I struggle with the most. If I try to dash in I'm poked out of range and/or comboed. I can't punish wake up assassin strike even though it's -12 on block (I'm figuring this must be a lag thing, but that should be enough frames for me to punish. Forget about knocking him out of the air with an air-to-air. I can't seem to figure out why I'm struggle against him so much. It seems really hard to get in, open him up and or get out of the blender I'm constantly being put in. I'd appreciate any REAL, good advice.

Last edited:

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
As Manta, outspace and whiff punish him. Backdash his pressure as much as possible. Jump over birdarangs and make him afraid to throw them out be yolo teleporting on him when you feel it coming. Be sure to use laser and get free chip anytime he blocks.

As Supergirl, do Supergirl things.

In general? Mash uppercut after blocking swoop cuz they always MB it and it will beat that option. Also you gotta outmash them cuz they all fucking mash. -_-

They really do all mash. The hard part is figuring out when each individual player like to mash. Often times I let them mash first. For example, if they wake up bf3 ill let them d12 into mb db2 because they wasted a bar and now I'm sure it's my turn. If they mash again they are punished if not it's your turn. I don't know manta but sg can d1 ice breath and is easily hit confirmable if thats a word.

D2 works also as mentioned above.

bishbash

Magic as easy as 1 2 standing3
When someone has a good grasp of this character it can seem pretty overwhelming for sure. Most, however will just be looking to abuse those normals like they hit from full screen. Pretty easy to just out space and wiff punish, I play Cheetah and will do this with a b3. They'll usually leave after I've done it twice and cleared a health bar for no meter ^_^

xSamuel

Player of All, Master of None.
Punishing Assassin Strike isn't a lag issue. The move itself has almost no block stun so your punish has to come out immediately (If you played MKX it's like Reptile's dash).

Try to punish assassin strike with SG 112 it's a little bit easier also don't take 212 there's a gap you can use her d3 to get out of it. Also don't fall for most of his thing his pressure is mostly fake and without 212 most robin will be lost + none of his trait cancel are plus the best one is neutral you can armor through it (mbb3) or backdash. If you see him birdarang punish it it shouldn't be too hard to punish it on reaction with manta(his air charge thing or his f21 string If they are close enough) or SG( her trait and b12 If they are close enough)

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Try to punish assassin strike with SG 112 it's a little bit easier also don't take 212 there's a gap you can use her d3 to get out of it. Also don't fall for most of his thing his pressure is mostly fake and without 212 most robin will be lost + none of his trait cancel are plus the best one is neutral you can armor through it (mbb3) or backdash. If you see him birdarang punish it it shouldn't be too hard to punish it on reaction with manta(his air charge thing or his f21 string If they are close enough) or SG( her trait and b12 If they are close enough)
@Yoaks
Good information, and I agree with all of it except the part where he recommends a MB B3. MB B3 after his kancels is risky because Robin's D1D2 would beat you out of it.

Also, with Manta, throwing out a DB3 from midscreen or jumping from range to hopefully land an air DB3 is good. If you do it from range, you should anticipate his projectile as his follow up since you'll be at minus frames in which kase you kan use the standard methods of avoiding it.

With Manta a good way to avoid his projectile is to time your jump back after it loses tracking (practice in training mode if you don't know that timing), from a lot of spacings Robin kan't kontest this. Then you kan float to avoid the projectile. If he jumps to hopefully air to air you (since characters without float avoid it easier by jumping forward), then you kan punish him with the 5 frame air shark attack.