What's new

Question How do I beat Hawkgirl???

JavierDavila

ALWAYS an uphill battle...
Maaaaaan! I was wondering what is the black Adam community approach to fighting Hawkgirl, she is in the air the whole freaking time , checking me with mase toss and when I try to get close she hits me with a mase charge!

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
Neutral jump mace charge and punish, she's at - after it to so you should be able to get off that over head string that black Adam has and if she blocks your at +

Mace throw just block and walk forward, ne patient block overhead. Once you get the life lead on hawk girl it's all your match

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Neutral jump mace charge and punish, she's at - after it to so you should be able to get off that over head string that black Adam has and if she blocks your at +

Mace throw just block and walk forward, ne patient block overhead. Once you get the life lead on hawk girl it's all your match

Depends on the timer, she's deceivingly safe.

You can't do anything about mace charge on block, she recovers too fast and can backdash.
This matchup is pretty stupid because she can just lame you out in the air and you have to do unsafe moves to get to her, if she has a bar then she can always escape too.

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
You want to make her wiff mace charge, neutral jumping works best for me, the startup is really slow and easy to react to

air mace toss is pretty annoying tho

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Maaaaaan! I was wondering what is the black Adam community approach to fighting Hawkgirl, she is in the air the whole freaking time , checking me with mase toss and when I try to get close she hits me with a mase charge!
Be patient, try to find a pattern in her zoning. At worst you can just block dash block dash but I think BA has better options than that. Divekicking through her zoning isn't a bad idea, unless she predicts it then you eat her own divekick/mace toss/mace charge.
Don't use wakeup attacks unless you're sure it'll hit her, because she has options to avoid lightning cage upclose.

And block high. Always block high.

That's all I can tell, I'm sorry I don't know all that much about HG or BA, apparently some dude in the HG boards know everything on how to beat her so you better ask him.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Be patient, try to find a pattern in her zoning. At worst you can just block dash block dash but I think BA has better options than that. Divekicking through her zoning isn't a bad idea, unless she predicts it then you eat her own divekick/mace toss/mace charge.
Don't use wakeup attacks unless you're sure it'll hit her, because she has options to avoid lightning cage upclose.

And block high. Always block high.

That's all I can tell, I'm sorry I don't know all that much about HG or BA, apparently some dude in the HG boards know everything on how to beat her so you better ask him.

How do you ground her though?

You're on record as someone who fights up close, and I respect that. But really, most just hang in the highest corner, belting you, or continually doing air mace charges, which you can't really stop.

JavierDavila

ALWAYS an uphill battle...
The thing is that all those mace toss and mace charge, happen when she is IN THE AIR! And is I wanna get in with jumping 2, she mace charges me... So frustrating ...

Error

DF2+R2
This is a really patient MU that can sometimes even end in time outs. You're going to have to use a lot of jumping normals and quick whiff punishes with divekick. Try to score as much damage as possible then back away, she can lame out well but can also be lamed out herself. If you you're laming her out use trait once she tries getting in to get more damage while you block, she doesn't have many mix-ups and chip is minimal in this game. Learn to space out downward mace and whiff punish it with divekicks or dash under her and hit her while she's in recovery. Also beware of her meter burn specials.

Dulllyanna

You're going to shoot guns at me?
I made a long ass post on this in the KF forum, obviously the stuff about certain punishes doesn't apply but otherwise it's pretty universal. The tl;dr version is don't make stupid obvious jumps because HG players expect them and will punish them, dash after air mace throw if you think they won't EX, and learn how to punish her safe on block specials in training mode because it's really important to do so.

Speaking from the side of HG, you have to be patient against air mace shit and not try to make random jumps or dashes at fullscreen. Try to block and dash after downwards mace while watching out for EX (Easier said than done, I know) until you're within healthy range to hit her with a jump-in. At that point it becomes a mixup between her trying to preemptively stuff a jump attack with fly normals or dive kick, move forward and out of your range or beat shit with air mace charge, or get down and escape with EX air mace or dive kick. At this point if you aren't going to risk jumping immediately b/c of retribution you need to wait and see if she does fly 2/mace charge/or EX air mace/or dive kick in an attempt to escape or hit you and respond appropriately . This is EXTREMELY important, the most important part of the matchup for almost every character in the game. Whiff punish with jump into float combo for the first two. If you block EX air mace she's at + but outside of mixup range, so be smart and don't panic, but if it whiffs you should get free ice spike if not slide (I'm not sure about the latter). Dive kick is punishable if she does it above minimum height, you need to be extremely fast though. Sometimes she floats after so I'd advise confirming 111 xx w/e or whatever float combo or appropriate punish KF has. Note that she can technically only fly for ab0ut 8 seconds, if you've been turtling fullscreen this entire time try to keep track of the time and see what she does, punishing with ground spike or super if you have it. I'd argue the latter is worth it, because most characters have to fight Hawgirl on her own grounds in a shitty war of attrition where both sides typically do mediocre damage.

As for dealing with ground mace charge and wing evade stance: You bait these by jumping neutral or back. Ideally backwards b/c her d2 is an amazing AA, but you can only punish WE 2 (The flip kick overhead) by neutral jump or making it whiff by walking backwards (Not backdashing, the recovery on whiff is far too good). Unfortunately the latter "loses" to mace charge and WE 3 (The fast fucking horizontal flying kick that's like -1 on block with really fast recovery) which are both 100% safe on block. Both options lose to backwards jump and reacting with a jumping move with a strong crossup hitbox. Both options are also her only wakeup attacks so be aware of that. These all work if she does this by cancelling from d1 and other moves/strings too, I highly advise using record mode in training mode to get a feel for this. On that subject, if she fly cancels normals, you generally get a free d2 or jab into combo, but you need to be fairly quick on the uptake and these often lose/trade to the MC and WE cancels, and divekick will hit you if you're slow or try to crouch jab her.

One last thing: if she has full bar, a life lead, and you can't afford to eat a super DO NOT FUCK AROUND. Don't jump, don't whiff, don't bother trying to punish fly landing recovery if you aren't 100% sure you'll hit her out of the air (She can cancel the recovery into super immediately) and while I'm not sure but she might be able to punish ice spike on block, at least within a certain range. It's not quite superman fast but it's still got range, speed, and the hitbox to mess you up for screwing around. Also for god knows what reason it's overhead even though it looks like a grab... not that I'm saying this should be one.

Edit: I forgot to mention that while getting in, once you're in the range where dashing will put you in divekick range you need to stop and just block instead. There's a sweet spot in between the air mace and her divekick where you can safely crouch without giving up ground, but you need to pay very close attention so that she doesn't adjust her spacing a bit, dropkick your head, and ruin all your hard work. Also you can tech roll divekick on hit so that she doesn't get hella advantage and wakes. If she lands sweep and dashes you basically need to guess 3 ways + throw, since she can dive kick, crossup divekick, or sweep again and none are escapable except with wakeups.

JaredL

I can't fucking do it man, I practice and nothing works.

She does that air retreat into 3 and does it again and again and again and you can't react and its safe and its all bullshit.

You try to get her down from the air but all she does is mace charge up there, and you try to do anything you get hit.

Go to vulcan hades youtube channel and he has notes for hawkgirl on how to punish her and everything. I play against a good hawkgirl at least once every week i jump 2 a lot and keep pressure on her. J2 will get her from stop flying. the fact she can fly makes it where u cant zone at all. So if you can keep out of the corner and put pressure on her you will do fine.

JaredL

I'm really not seeing how J2 stops anything. At most I get it to trade with moves that do more damage.

its sad i'm a grundy main so was looking at black adam as somebody to use to counter when my opponent picks black adam or to counter his other terrible match in hawk girl. Sadly it seems like he's not much better off than grundy is. for a low tier character HG sure gives alot of people problems.