What's new

How Did You Choose Your Main?

Gunnxr

Apprentice
I'm in the process of trying to figure out who I consider my main in MKX. I played for a good amount of time when the game first came out but just got back into it lately with the MK11 hype building up. I am playing with Takeda the most but I always stray away and try out other characters. How did you guys narrow down your choices and pick your main?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Picking a main sucked for me... I'm a sucker for aesthetics... and some nostalgia so the demon variation of Scorpion was one of my favs. However, I'm very mediocre at the game.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Saw Cassie when she was first revealed and thought she looked awesome. Looked like she had good moves and I wasn't wrong.

Played a lot of Johnny because I did in MK9, as well as Triborg because Smoke was there he's my all-time favourite MK character.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I like the modern ninja aesthetic such as tight stealth suits with bits of modern armour, one of my favourite weapons is the whip, I like acrobatic and stylish moves... Takeda just hit a lot of spots for me. Plus he's kinda cute.

Also, he's a psychic ninja... my favourite Marvel character is Psylocke from the X-Men. And I hope Takeda returns having trained his powers to the point where he too creates weapons out of psionic energy, replacing his whips and blades... but that's just wishful thinking. :p

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Mileena's always fascinated me from a lore perspective and I absolutely love her psychotic nature, so she was an easy day 1 main for me. Johnny Cage just spoke to me on a spiritual level, and I loved the tight execution that A-List required, so he became a close secondary.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be 0 for 2 for my mains returning. Rip

slamtown

Police Brutality
I picked what character i knew i like from well......Character. I picked kano in MKX because he is a absolute dickhead with big knives and a funny accent and also me having a really deep history with him. Whenever you look at a character to pick dont look at a tier list and just listen to your heart you might find yourself enjoying the game alot more playing a character you know you love just by looking at them.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Scorpion from MK1 in '92. Loved the ninja with the flame breathing skull bit. His teleport and spear specials were insanely innovative back in the day. Too bad they've been nerfed to Injustice crap levels... I'll still main him even if he ends up being garbage tier. RIP MK Spear move.

Gunnxr

Apprentice
Picking a main sucked for me... I'm a sucker for aesthetics... and some nostalgia so the demon variation of Scorpion was one of my favs. However, I'm very mediocre at the game.
I'm also a big sucker for aesthetics. That's partially why I like Rain so much. I love the color purple and his water moves are so pleasing for me to watch. Hopefully he is in MK11 as leaked :)

Gunnxr

Apprentice
Saw Cassie when she was first revealed and thought she looked awesome. Looked like she had good moves and I wasn't wrong.

Played a lot of Johnny because I did in MK9, as well as Triborg because Smoke was there he's my all-time favourite MK character.
I love Smoke too. I'm not sure how I feel about him being a cyborg in MKX though, so I was hesitant to use him. Is he fun to use in MKX?

Gunnxr

Apprentice
I like the modern ninja aesthetic such as tight stealth suits with bits of modern armour, one of my favourite weapons is the whip, I like acrobatic and stylish moves... Takeda just hit a lot of spots for me. Plus he's kinda cute.

Also, he's a psychic ninja... my favourite Marvel character is Psylocke from the X-Men. And I hope Takeda returns having trained his powers to the point where he too creates weapons out of psionic energy, replacing his whips and blades... but that's just wishful thinking. :p
Those sound like a lot of the reasons that I was drawn to Takeda. I love flashy moves and characters with witty humor like his :)

Gunnxr

Apprentice
I picked what character i knew i like from well......Character. I picked kano in MKX because he is a absolute dickhead with big knives and a funny accent and also me having a really deep history with him. Whenever you look at a character to pick dont look at a tier list and just listen to your heart you might find yourself enjoying the game alot more playing a character you know you love just by looking at them.
Kano is a very fun character to me too. I love his personality and design in MKX but his gameplay wasn't a da big draw for me. Thanks for the advice!

Aesthetics and character is the most important to me, especially since the customization is a thing, and if I also like the gameplay I have my main. I don't really care how powerful the character is.

Gunnxr

Apprentice
Aesthetics and character is the most important to me, especially since the customization is a thing, and if I also like the gameplay I have my main. I don't really care how powerful the character is.
Did you find that character in MKX? I'm curious to know what these parameters lead you to find.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
If Takeda is your favorite, use him! If you’re playing a character you genuinely like, you’ll be more motivated to practice with them

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
I'd been waiting for Tanya to return for ages -- my favorite post-MK3 character. Before she was added I played Mileena, since SIndel and Jade (my MK9 mains) were out.

CallMeTetris

draxx them sklounst
It's always a matter of aesthetics to me above all else. Does this character look cool? Do I like their personality? Are their powers and weapons cool? Are their combos/enders satisfying to see? and work from there.

in mkx specifically, that meant jacqui, because i love punchgirls and gun gauntlets are cool too.

Did you find that character in MKX? I'm curious to know what these parameters lead you to find.
Yes. I mained Sonya and Johnny Cage on MKX. I love both of these characters because on one side you have the cocky and funny but powerful warrior and on the other you have the sexy and badass woman who kicks the shit out of the demons. For the gameplay I loved the footsie based gameplay for Johnny, the A List variation helped me a lot to improve my execution, and the Fisitcuffs variation was dope after the lasts patches. The stunt double was also interesting but less fun to use. I loved Sonya because all her variations were all viable (sometimes a little too viable) and were so fun to use. Covert Ops was my go to variation with the command grab, low/oh attack and the stance cancel. This variation was fun to play and I like the mind game that the military stand adds to the game (also because I'm bad at the game so the 50/50s would help me a bit :DOGE). The Special Ops/Demolition both brought a fun mechanic to the game, and I loved it.

I also loved and mained Mileena in MK9, but I sadly didn't like the gameplay in MKX (but the design was awesome).

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I love Smoke too. I'm not sure how I feel about him being a cyborg in MKX though, so I was hesitant to use him. Is he fun to use in MKX?
I'm very much an advocate of Smoke in Human form, myself!

He's a braindead potato in MKX. But the game is potato soooo he fits very well and I can't say that I dislike stealing the round from one touch into a vortex lol it's like that dirty "haha i got you" sorta feeling. So sure, he's fun to play in MKX but he is rarted.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
I'm in a similar position but aesthetics and attitude go a long way for me. I'm on a Johnny Cage kick at the moment, loving the smart-ass dad humor.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
I am still picking Erron Black for the opponents who is weak at zoning game, Spectral Ermac for close matches. Also if we are talking about aesthetic play style no one could be better than Spectral Ermac except Dragon's Fire Liu Kang, both looks equal to me. Both characters that i use also has great corner game options. Safe mid screen combo starters and safe low combo starters at close matches which is great for 50/50s. Their overhead combo starters were great but nerfed later but i didn't mind much. Those things are always been important for me to choose my main while playing MKX.