What's new

Question - Sun God How can Sun God get better?

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Honestly I don't see a reason to use Sun God in any MU that Blood God or War God don't cover. I had a thought that perhaps characters with great meter build might be weak to sun god since he has such high unbreakable damage but I feel like kotal is missing something. The few ideas I have of buffing Kotal were reducing the recovery on the command grab. As of right now it's 49. Maybe giving him a new special that lets him have a decent block string. Another idea would be to make b122 like -6 or -7 BUT that would also buff Blood God and War God so I'm not exactly all for it. Finally, Kotal definitely needs to have some issues fixed with his command grab. Maybe general fixes to the game with grab immunities being removed? Also the command grab whiffing if they get hit by the 22 part only of the b122 string. Leave your thoughts and opinions below.

Last edited:

Tweedy

Noob
If you just land the 22 part of B122, make it so the command grab never whiffs.

Besides that he's fine imo.

The whiff recovery of his grab is probably fine, it just sucks because there are characters with much less recovery. I mean can you really punish Jason's command grabs? Maybe 38-40 instead of 49, or something.

TheGangstaFace

+4 isn't good enough? :p
He's not +4 on anything guaranteed. If you're trying to refer to 114 air grab that's not +4 and it's not very common you get a 114 mid screen unless you stagger the b1. In my experiences though typically people see the b1 stagger and poke me because standing 1 is a high

TheGangstaFace

By being in a game where the developers' idea of a grappler isn't just slapping a command grab onto a variation that shares 95% of the moveset with two other variations who aren't grapplers.
True. Honestly the only real grappler in this game is commando Kano and jason

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Honestly I don't see a reason to use Sun God in any MU that Blood God or War God don't cover. I had a thought that perhaps characters with great meter build might be weak to sun god since he has such high unbreakable damage but I feel like kotal is missing something. The few ideas I have of buffing Kotal were reducing the recovery on the command grab. As of right now it's 49. Maybe giving him a new special that lets him have a decent block string. Another idea would be to make b122 like -6 or -7 BUT that would also buff Blood God and War God so I'm not exactly all for it. Finally, Kotal definitely needs to have some issues fixed with his command grab. Maybe a bigger hitbox? Some characters will do a normal and it whiffs just because of weird hurtboxes and also the command grab whiffing if they get hit by the 22 part only of the b122 string. Leave your thoughts and opinions below.
I am not a sun god main (I merely used him as a secondary for a while), so it's possible I've missed something here but, to me, ex command grab is one of the best (maybe the absolute best honestly) armor moves to option select in the entire game. When I play sun god, I basically mash this during everyone's pressure. As with all OS armor, it doesn't come out of there is no gap, but it does come out of there is a gap. However, unlike most other moves, it's unblockable, so people can't bait it out by stopping their pressure, blocking, and punishing. It's also fairly hard to armor break. So for a lot of characters the only options they have are gapless pressure and randomly jumping during their own offense, which opens them up for big combos at times when they should be at an advantage.

So to respond to the question of when you would use sun god - I would say vs characters with strong pressure that have gaps.

E

Eldriken

He's not +4 on anything guaranteed. If you're trying to refer to 114 air grab that's not +4 and it's not very common you get a 114 mid screen unless you stagger the b1. In my experiences though typically people see the b1 stagger and poke me because standing 1 is a high
What is 114~df1 on block? It's always been said that that's what it is. Also, what is his high unbreakable damage? I can only think of db2. Fill me in if you can.

As for what he needs? I don't really know. Reducing how negative he is after his command grab probably wouldn't do anything unless it was reduced to the level that Jason's command grab is on whiff. But that would probably be overkill.

I'd love for his gaps to go bye bye, but that would also buff the living shit out of War God. So, that's automatically out of the picture.

His damage is fine, so that obviously doesn't need to be touched.

Fixing the 22 if the b1 in b122 whiffs to where the command grab will land would be awesome. Reduce b122 minus frames on block by a frame or two.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
True. Honestly the only real grappler in this game is commando Kano and jason
They have the same issues. Cutthroat and Cybernetic aren't grapplers, so slapping a couple command grabs and parries on them for Commando doesn't make a true grappler. Jason's a little better because Slasher is really the odd man out variation there, and I guess all of Ferra/Torr's variations shoot for different takes on the grappler archetype, but they need to just do away with the variation system if they really wanna nail the niche archetypes in their next MK like they did with Grundy in Injustice.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
His only real weakness is that his armored wake-up can be low profiled, so playing wake-up against someone who knows this can be difficult. Other than that, the more I played him - the more I realized that his shortcomings weren't his, but my own.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Sun God is more read-based from my experience than War God. Go for a tick throw and they take the hit instead of blocking and you're fucked.

But that's a player error. It requires more reads than War God's B1/B14/B122 + Mix-Up of Choice, so people won't play it over the easier option.

E

Eldriken

Sun God is more read-based from my experience than War God. Go for a tick throw and they take the hit instead of blocking and you're fucked.

But that's a player error. It requires more reads than War God's B1/B14/B122 + Mix-Up of Choice, so people won't play it over the easier option.
Speak for yourself, fool! I pick Sun God over War God plenty. I just don't do it against you because you play Quan. I get the luxury of being able to bully the everloving shit out of you upon knockdown in the corner. :p War God excels at bullying in the corner versus Sun God in my opinion.

Reactions: GAV

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Speak for yourself, fool! I pick Sun God over War God plenty. I just don't do it against you because you play Quan. I get the luxury of being able to bully the everloving shit out of you upon knockdown in the corner. :p War God excels at bullying in the corner versus Sun God in my opinion.
God, nothing pisses me off more than just having to stand there and block for 3,000 minutes. Get knocked down? Better start blocking. Even when you block correctly getting out of the corner is a god damned nightmare.

Sun God is way cooler.

TheGangstaFace

What is 114~df1 on block? It's always been said that that's what it is. Also, what is his high unbreakable damage? I can only think of db2. Fill me in if you can.

As for what he needs? I don't really know. Reducing how negative he is after his command grab probably wouldn't do anything unless it was reduced to the level that Jason's command grab is on whiff. But that would probably be overkill.

I'd love for his gaps to go bye bye, but that would also buff the living shit out of War God. So, that's automatically out of the picture.

His damage is fine, so that obviously doesn't need to be touched.

Fixing the 22 if the b1 in b122 whiffs to where the command grab will land would be awesome. Reduce b122 minus frames on block by a frame or two.
Yeah I was talking about unbreakable with the command grab and I thought it was +4 also but if that were the case you'd be guaranteed b1 unless you armor and that's not the case

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
God, nothing pisses me off more than just having to stand there and block for 3,000 minutes. Get knocked down? Better start blocking. Even when you block correctly getting out of the corner is a god damned nightmare.

Sun God is way cooler.
I agree.

I think we'll get one more "cool" character. The "cool" characters as of now are as follows...

Quan Chi (All Variations)
Tremor (All Variations)
Kotal Kahn (Sun and Blood God Variations)
Triborg (All Variations)

Kinda cool...

Raiden (All Variations)
Sonya (Demolition)
Ermac (Mystic and Spectral)
Johnny Cage (Fisticuffs)

I think we'll get one more...