What's new

How can I beat johnny cage?

heildan

NANI?!
First impressions, it looks like one, sure. But what if it's not a bait?
I don't think we should be that paranoid, we don't have enough "data" to say if it is or if its not, that's for sure.
But we can know by truly trying to helping him.

If it is, what's the worst thing that could happen? Why shouldn't we trust him? It wouldn't be that bad, I believe.
If it isn't, the least thing that he can get will be the help he might be needing.

So... I have two questions:
What character do you play?
Could you give us a little more detail about what are you having trouble with?

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
Honestly, about the most real advice I can give you (as a semi Johnny main) is that if you think its a mid, it probably isn't. Spend more time neutral ducking and taking risks on high reads. The force balls, the shadow kicks, like ALL of his moves that aren't b+2 or nutpunch. Just duck and see what happens.

Also, get better at delayed wake ups and rolls. All he has to do is whiff one string on oki and he'll be half way across the screen and ready for your favorite punish most of the time. Lastly, don't jump. If its one thing we will make you pay for, its jumping. ALthough the occasional neutral jump is not a bad again because again, whatever he does will probably sail harmlessly by you and be ready for a punish.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Once you know the spacing on his moves he's arguably the most free to whiff punish. F344 has him stationary while doing the 44 kicks, and it's pretty much the same thing for f44. You shouldnt be caught be followup attacks on his strings like it sometimes happens with Kabal and Kung Lao for instance

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
is this thread for real?
It is real. Real full of JC downplayers. Not saying he’s top 10 or anything, but ya’ll acting like he’s Dan from Street Fighter. He’s got some whiffing issues and a reliance on highs, definitely weaknesses, but it’s nowhere near as dire as people are making it seem. If you don’t know how to abuse his weaknesses then yes, I can see him giving you a ton of trouble. Props to OP for posting this thread on a forum explicitly designed to answer questions like this.

Owerbart

I miss you
It is real. Real full of JC downplayers. Not saying he’s top 10 or anything, but ya’ll acting like he’s Dan from Street Fighter. He’s got some whiffing issues and a reliance on highs, definitely weaknesses, but it’s nowhere near as dire as people are making it seem. If you don’t know how to abuse his weaknesses then yes, I can see him giving you a ton of trouble. Props to OP for posting this thread on a forum explicitly designed to answer questions like this.
OK, I give it to you. I'll chime in.

The reality is that Johnny does not have any guaranteed pressure. F44 is -5 and after the ex-fireballs everything is gimmicky at best. He lacks fast/normal speed mids, which means that you are going to able to poke him out most of the time. Maybe you are thinking that F44 and Caged Rage (if he's playing that variation) feel like unsafe on block but they aren't, so if you block it, just take advantage of the frames in your favor. A lot of Cage players tend to block after their caged rage/F44 gets blocked so usually a throw is a good idea. If you get the life advantage and you have a semi-decent projectile, just lame him out because his projectile is good but not enough to counterzone.

Once again, everything is gimmicks. 124 and 34U3 are +6 on block but because of the pushback they don't jail into anything.

Once you know the spacing on his moves he's arguably the most free to whiff punish. F344 has him stationary while doing the 44 kicks, and it's pretty much the same thing for f44. You shouldnt be caught be followup attacks on his strings like it sometimes happens with Kabal and Kung Lao for instance
I don’t know man, patience is key here.

Several times I’ve whiffed f344 and the opponent tried to whiff punish me and got hit with one of the 4s, same thing happens with lius f43, active frames in this game are weird.

D

Deleted member 35141

All doe mids tho
Amirite?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
If he can't hit your character with forceballs from F4 then it's a 8-2 matchup in your favor. Unless he has P1 advantage, assuming NRS hasn't given him an overhead starter yet. At least it's not MK3

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
And she was considered the worst character a week ago so what was your point?
She still doesn’t have fast mids and is now considered one of the better characters, possibly one of the best rushdown characters. Mids are great, but not absolutely necessary to be viable.

D

Deleted member 35141

She still doesn’t have fast mids and is now considered one of the better characters, possibly one of the best rushdown characters. Mids are great, but not absolutely necessary to be viable.
Wait we have concluded she is already top tier a week later.
Damn thats quick considering for 3 months we were told let the meta grow as the top tiers werent actually that good yet it kept being the same characters played and not played.

xKMMx

Banned
Honestly most online JC ive run into are kinda dependant on the same shimmy game.

They all kinda throw his low kick then jump back wait for you to whiff something and then nail you with that same string into nut punch. His back dash seems to be pretty quick and he has decent range on that advancing low string so it makes sense why they do that .

I believe EX nut punch is punishable so look out for them to cancel into that on block for a punish.

Good Johnnys will also cancel into ex fireball off blocked attacks and if I'm not wrong that leaves them plus so you have to respect the plus frames.

Other than that I'm pretty sure he is not too hard to get around.