What's new

Honest question

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
Im confident enough to call myself mediocre. But I still have a massive problem and I know it. I get ahead of myself and drop shit or get overwhelmed and mash. Like I can be in practice mode and land Terminators standard f32 bnb or jaxs b2 kb into CMD kb for hours repeatedly no issues but I get online and I drop it constantly. Any tips? What's helped everyone else get passed this point. I know it's hindering my game play but I haven't found the trick to resolve it.

Edit; when I say decent I mean I've reached Grand Master every season and 3/4 characters I play with primarily have a better than 50% win rate online.... Not great likely average.

Last edited:
As you're playing the game further and further, you'll get more familiar with your opponents' patterns. That can give you more confidence against new opponents. It's a loooooong road for that, but don't let that hinder you :) I've gotten my ass kicked for God how many times and you learn from those mistakes.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
You may have only mastered the combo against a dummy but you have not mastered the art of setting up your opponents to allow you to execute what you have mastered. What I have learned is to train for the combo execution first, then play some games against the AI to learn how to land the combo on moving targets that fight back.

The last and most important step is going online and taking your losses against live opponents until you learn to condition them into opening themselves up to your combos that you trained to hard to perfect. That's how I learn to implement new combos/characters that I trained with on live opponents.

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
You may have only mastered the combo against a dummy but you have not mastered the art of setting up your opponents to allow you to execute what you have mastered. What I have learned is to train for the combo execution first, then play some games against the AI to learn how to land the combo on moving targets that fight back.

The last and most important step is going online and taking your losses against live opponents until you learn to condition them into opening themselves up to your combos that you trained to hard to perfect. That's how I learn to implement new combos/characters that I trained with on live opponents.
See the issue isn't conditioning. Or opening them up. I can do that shit all day I just drop my combos repeatedly. I can land Terminators f32 6 times in a match so plenty to take a whole round and then some if I didn't fuck around and instead of doing the b31 he just fucking stands there and does a standing 1 effectively losing my turn and doing no damage. I don't usually have issues against the ai unless I'm not warmed up.. this is almost entirely an online/ kl Issue.

Last edited:

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
As you're playing the game further and further, you'll get more familiar with your opponents' patterns. That can give you more confidence against new opponents. It's a loooooong road for that, but don't let that hinder you :) I've gotten my ass kicked for God how many times and you learn from those mistakes.
I know a substantial amount of the MUs. I really only have issues with the rarely played or the zoners. Like dvorah. I occasionally get bodied by Johnny. Cetrion is a joke because most people at my level get overwhelmed when your coin flipping them. The only time my confidence takes a hit is when I'm fighting Kang because I know for a fucking fact the only thing Terminator can do that's fast enough is b312 because f4 is fucking slow and will get mushed by Kang with literally any button and the same thing applies to f3,b2,b1 because everyone just f34 f34 f34 f34 I try to catch the gap because Terminator is blessed with a 6f d1 and I still get poked out by f34 when I try to jail after the d1. I fucking hate Kang players

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Im confident enough to call myself mediocre. But I still have a massive problem and I know it. I get ahead of myself and drop shit or get overwhelmed and mash. Like I can be in practice mode and land Terminators standard f32 bnb or jaxs b2 kb into CMD kb for hours repeatedly no issues but I get online and I drop it constantly. Any tips? What's helped everyone else get passed this point. I know it's hindering my game play but I haven't found the trick to resolve it.

Edit; when I say decent I mean I've reached Grand Master every season and 3/4 characters I play with primarily have a better than 50% win rate online.... Not great likely average.
Play a lot and always recognise when these things surface. Be conscious and try to change your habits.
This is not something you take a pill for or listen to magic mister Miagi advice and crane kick the fuck out of it. This takes time.

What you need to understand is that the more you know about your opponent the more secure you'll feel. There's nothing wrong with losing. Lose honestly and don't go mashing if you see that the opponent is destroying you. Look at what he used to beat you, lab it and come back stronger next time armed with the knowledge you earned.

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
Play a lot and always recognise when these things surface. Be conscious and try to change your habits.
This is not something you take a pill for or listen to magic mister Miagi advice and crane kick the fuck out of it. This takes time.

What you need to understand is that the more you know about your opponent the more secure you'll feel. There's nothing wrong with losing. Lose honestly and don't go mashing if you see that the opponent is destroying you. Look at what he used to beat you, lab it and come back stronger next time armed with the knowledge you earned.
This is exactly the reason I made this post over the last week everyday I've spent like 3 hours in the lab and then 5 hours doing kl matches and then going back and watching my wins and losses at the end of the night to dissect what I did wrong. Which is how I realized when I get salty or overwhelmed I mash. I just didn't know if anyone else remembered anything they used to get passed this point. Yea I have the competitive spirit so I despise losing but I also know I'm not that good at this game yet so I know I'm going to likely lose just as much if not more than I win.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
This is exactly the reason I made this post over the last week everyday I've spent like 3 hours in the lab and then 5 hours doing kl matches and then going back and watching my wins and losses at the end of the night to dissect what I did wrong. Which is how I realized when I get salty or overwhelmed I mash. I just didn't know if anyone else remembered anything they used to get passed this point. Yea I have the competitive spirit so I despise losing but I also know I'm not that good at this game yet so I know I'm going to likely lose just as much if not more than I win.
Lose calmly.
Reconigse that yeah, this guy is using stuff I don't know how to deal with. Try to block and punish, try to backdash, take your turn etc.
You'll meet opponents that will destroy you on principle because they pack a better knowledge of the matchup, more experience or an overall better skill. Hell you'll meet some who have all these and more.

There is nothing wrong with it. It's part of the game.
Don't look at it from the standpoint that you're losing or that you're "not that good", think of it as a journey.
You learn a new thing every time.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Kano is much better now, look at good players like @CO-KANO and pick up some of their tricks.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I honestly quit playing Kano in favor of Jax and nightwolf. And then I picked up Terminator as well. But I should probably pick him back up ripper was a fucking blasty
Playing top tier gets you the false illusion of being good tbh. Stick to your main, that's where your heart is.

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
Playing top tier gets you the false illusion of being good tbh. Stick to your main, that's where your heart is.
That's honestly why I got off of Kano. I wasn't feeling it anymore.i started with Kabal. Got the enjoyment of the game there but wasn't enjoying the character much. Went to Kano. Had a blast with Kano but that was when people didn't know the MU very well. I went to Jax because I heard he was a better grappler and that's my shit. When nightwolf came out I heard he had essentially all the tools is Kano but better so I played him some but he isn't as grappler heavy as I would like even in AG. So I went back to Jax until last week when term came out. I played Jax enough that I was about to land most of his hard hitting combos in matches with relative success. And then I picked up Terminator because we'll it's Terminator and he has shown holes in my game but I love the grappler pressure that he has

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
That's honestly why I got off of Kano. I wasn't feeling it anymore.i started with Kabal. Got the enjoyment of the game there but wasn't enjoying the character much. Went to Kano. Had a blast with Kano but that was when people didn't know the MU very well. I went to Jax because I heard he was a better grappler and that's my shit. When nightwolf came out I heard he had essentially all the tools is Kano but better so I played him some but he isn't as grappler heavy as I would like even in AG. So I went back to Jax until last week when term came out. I played Jax enough that I was about to land most of his hard hitting combos in matches with relative success. And then I picked up Terminator because we'll it's Terminator and he has shown holes in my game but I love the grappler pressure that he has
Day1 Arnie main right there. Keep up the good work and keep it cool.

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
Kano is much better now, look at good players like @CO-KANO and pick up some of their tricks.
Awww man, i’ve never been called a good player before. Thank you man. And yea check out my vids or better yet hop on and fight the God.
Rank Kano. When i begin to mash i make it a positive experience. If my opponent has frame advantage, I always tell myself i can d1 my way out of any frame. And suddenly, my frown is turned upside down. Also dont play when youre mad. Its like a gambling addiction. Also dont gamble if you tend to play KL when mad. Cause if you lose there youll lose here.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
See the issue isn't conditioning. Or opening them up. I can do that shit all day I just drop my combos repeatedly. I can land Terminators f32 6 times in a match so plenty to take a whole round and then some if I didn't fuck around and instead of doing the b31 he just fucking stands there and does a standing 1 effectively losing my turn and doing no damage. I don't usually have issues against the ai unless I'm not warmed up.. this is almost entirely an online/ kl Issue.
I see the problem now. The problem is not actually you as much as you think. The same thing happened to me when I first stated playing Jacqui online. The timing for juggle combos is not exactly the same online as it is offline. It's close, but if the the timing of the juggle is tighter you will drop it online. With the Terminator I've learned to input B+3,1>>DBF+2 immediately after F+3,2. I was dropping it like mad online until I did that. The game will register it and perfom the combo. Try that out and see if it works for you. Remember not to press any buttons multiple times, just dial it in even if you don't see the animation for the button the moment you press it.

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
Awww man, i’ve never been called a good player before. Thank you man. And yea check out my vids or better yet hop on and fight the God.
Rank Kano. When i begin to mash i make it a positive experience. If my opponent has frame advantage, I always tell myself i can d1 my way out of any frame. And suddenly, my frown is turned upside down. Also dont play when youre mad. Its like a gambling addiction. Also dont gamble if you tend to play KL when mad. Cause if you lose there youll lose here.
When I get a PS4 things will likely change more competition and shit. Also watching your games when I played ripper was part of what kept me playing ripper for season 1 and 2. Your really good and super fun to watch.

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
I see the problem now. The problem is not actually you as much as you think. The same thing happened to me when I first stated playing Jacqui online. The timing for juggle combos is not exactly the same online as it is offline. It's close, but if the the timing of the juggle is tighter you will drop it online. With the Terminator I've learned to input B+3,1>>DBF+2 immediately after F+3,2. I was dropping it like mad online until I did that. The game will register it and perfom the combo. Try that out and see if it works for you. Remember not to press any buttons multiple times, just dial it in even if you don't see the animation for the button the moment you press it.
So essentially run it as a constant string instead? F32b31dbf2? And waiting for animations is an issue of mine for sure. I played world of Warcraft for ages so I'm dispositioned to watch for/wait for animations to happen.

You're welcome.
But nah, you just haven't met the "git gud" scrubs yet. They'll come along soon enough.
And when they do, remember that fucktards exist everywhere and laugh at their autism.
That and even decent players will call you out and try to discourage you from improving. Don't ever let that keep you from enjoying the game.

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
You're welcome.
But nah, you just haven't met the "git gud" scrubs yet. They'll come along soon enough.
And when they do, remember that fucktards exist everywhere and laugh at their autism.
Oh no I've ran into those people just not in the forums. I run into those people online. I have pages of messages people talking shit because "all you do is grab me" bitch I play a grappler. OF COURSE IMMA GRAB YOUR ASS. Learn to get out of it . My Achilles heel is jump ins

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
You're welcome.
I feel like you’re attacking me right now, i have down syndrome and the strengths of A thousand retards.