What's new

Homogenized Health Values

grandabx

The Flameater
What do you think about characters having the same health values? Does Cassie having the same health values as Baraka, Geras or the Kahns make sense?

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Is this really a problem? Every NRS game has been balanced around characters having the same health pools. Trying to change that would just break years of balancing philosophy over its knee.

grandabx

The Flameater
Is this really a problem? Every NRS game has been balanced around characters having the same health pools. Trying to change that would just break years of balancing philosophy over its knee.
When you have pixie characters doing beast damage on top of having the benefits of speed and mix-up, it does matter.

Why pick a heavyweight character if the pixie does it all?

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
What doesn't make sense is that female characters have smaller hurtboxes which break some character's tools, when there is nothing to compensate the larger hurtbox characters. I don't think anything should be added to compensate, like higher health pools, but I think hurtboxes should be homogenized to an extent.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Except those characters also took damage at different rates which made it more difficult to determine how much was actually done. Darkseid took more damage numbers wise but by percentage he was more tanky than most characters. Supes had less health, took less numerical damage than nearly every character, and was tied for squishiest im the game.

Having health pools at an even 1000 is a lot better than the system I2 had, imo. If you really wanted to have glass cannons and tanky characters, give them different defense values. I hated explaining to people that getting a 500 damage combo on Darkseid or Hellboy wasn't that big of a deal.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Except those characters also took damage at different rates which made it more difficult to determine how much was actually done. Darkseid took more damage numbers wise but by percentage he was more tanky than most characters. Supes had less health, took less numerical damage than nearly every character, and was tied for squishiest im the game.

Having health pools at an even 1000 is a lot better than the system I2 had, imo. If you really wanted to have glass cannons and tanky characters, give them different defense values. I hated explaining to people that getting a 500 damage combo on Darkseid or Hellboy wasn't that big of a deal.
I didn’t say anything was better or worse.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
When you have pixie characters doing beast damage on top of having the benefits of speed and mix-up, it does matter.

Why pick a heavyweight character if the pixie does it all?
Because the 'pixies' will likely get normalized soon? It's already been established that the top tiers could use some toning down, and the bottom tiers some buffing up. Just because the heavyweights like Kotal and Shao are in a rough spot doesn't make it a good idea to completely change something as core as the health values of characters in a game that wasn't balanced around differing health pools. Mkx balance was a mess at launch too, but it ended up getting much better.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Because the 'pixies' will likely get normalized soon? It's already been established that the top tiers could use some toning down, and the bottom tiers some buffing up. Just because the heavyweights like Kotal and Shao are in a rough spot doesn't make it a good idea to completely change something as core as the health values of characters in a game that wasn't balanced around differing health pools. Mkx balance was a mess at launch too, but it ended up getting much better.
Tbh I don’t think any characters deserve to be nerfed. Just buff a few characters. There’s soo many viable characters, only a few need some help. And the “top 5” aren’t that ridiculous or obviously “too good”.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Tbh I don’t think any characters deserve to be nerfed. Just buff a few characters. There’s soo many viable characters, only a few need some help. And the “top 5” aren’t that ridiculous or obviously “too good”.
Very well said Sir!

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I'm normally in favor of ideas like this, but the playstyles in MK11 vary too wildly for this to be a viable idea. You'd ideally want to give a brawler like Baraka above average health, but he also has strong zoning and keepout. And when they finally add custom variations, this is just going to complicate things further.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
No offence to the OP but I think this design choice is beyond the scope of the average player to do more than have an uneducated opinion on.

I wouldn't mind Jade having substantially more HP than Liu if she's going to do less damage.
#cognitivebias

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I think this could have worked if it would have been made with that idea in mind, but it's clear that it wasn't. Let's say one character gets more health, should their offense abilities be nerfed, as well as damage? Sounds like a whole lot of change which would, in turn, change the gameplay of a lot of characters for what exactly? It would be changing the whole game and pretty useless at this stage.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I think differing health values can be a good way to add some variety in team based games but personally I think it's an uninteresting way to "balance" characters in 1v1 games. In team based games you get more variety and teams have pros/cons based on combinations and it's intuitive. But in 1v1 it's just a disadvantage and you hope that your character is somehow balanced in a way to make it fair that the other guy has 10% more on his healthbar.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
It was interesting to see how Skarlet's health gain really made a difference in Sonic's reverse 3-0 of Semiij, I think people underrate how strong having a larger health pool really is.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Im all for it, specially since hurtboxes for some charakters can't be altered as easily in NRS games like in Capcom games, yet Capcom stil does it cut they know iz makes a big difference when Zangief needs to fight petite Cammy, or zoners for that matter. Nrs females tend to be criminally small and thin, either they start make the models a little thicker or slice a tenth of their health. Same goes for the males, you know which of them!