What's new

HMK - One Year of MKX

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Not gonna lie, I feel kinda robbed I wasn't invited to this undercover recording, I would've clamped down on the community's hazy memories hardcore lol.

EDIT: F4xxFBRC links still works by the way

Last edited:

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Ahhh good ol' F34 when it was special cancellable. Every BnB was at least 45% into a restand meterless in the corner. For a bar you'd get 49% into EX Nutpunch (then you get guarenteed 13% chip for another bar or 50/50 which could put the opponent in a near-death situation lol). Off of a jump in punch should could hit 50 with the ex nutpunch ender. Pretty disgusting stuff, definitely had to go lol.

Spec Ops can still to this day get 46% off of a hard-to-block Ex missile setup, it's practical so y'all can hold dat lol.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
This is the third you haven't tagged me man I did not mean to kill your dog!!!

I give this a listen during ESL to keep me cool :D

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Ahhh good ol' F34 when it was special cancellable. Every BnB was at least 45% into a restand meterless in the corner. For a bar you'd get 49% into EX Nutpunch (then you get guarenteed 13% chip for another bar or 50/50 which could put the opponent in a near-death situation lol). Off of a jump in punch should could hit 50 with the ex nutpunch ender. Pretty disgusting stuff, definitely had to go lol.

Spec Ops can still to this day get 46% off of a hard-to-block Ex missile setup, it's practical so y'all can hold dat lol.
Thank god that shit was nerfed lol

This is the third you haven't tagged me man I did not mean to kill your dog!!!

I give this a listen during ESL to keep me cool :D
Sorry man my memory sucks. I'll tag you from now on don't worry :cool:

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
To be fair, I think Reptile was indeed much worse pre-patch. Prior to the August patch, all his claw moves were unsafe, his pounce was unsafe, his invisibility was not plus, his f2 was negative on hit, forceballs had even more startup (I think 37 frames), acid spit was 5% damage so he lost all trades, he couldnt combo off ex slide, and none of the nimble combos involving spit worked.

I wouldn't put him in the category of characters who weren't changed much and were good all along. Those are huge.

JTB123

To be fair, I think Reptile was indeed much worse pre-patch. Prior to the August patch, all his claw moves were unsafe, his pounce was unsafe, his invisibility was not plus, his f2 was negative on hit, forceballs had even more startup (I think 37 frames), acid spit was 5% damage so he lost all trades, he couldnt combo off ex slide, and none of the nimble combos involving spit worked.

I wouldn't put him in the category of characters who weren't changed much and were good all along. Those are huge.
Thanks for posting these, I had a feeling we were forgetting Reptile's changes but couldn't remember what they were.

That said I think he was still good. Those changes have just made him a lot better.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Thanks for posting these, I had a feeling we were forgetting Reptile's changes but couldn't remember what they were.

That said I think he was still good. Those changes have just made him a lot better.
I'm going to have to disagree. I forgot to mention that in a previous patch, Reptile also got his 7 frame d3 (his fastest poke used to be 9 frames) and a bunch of damage buffs (his bnbs which currently do low 30s now used to do even less). So to recap, Reptile had no safe specials to build meter or blow up fuzzy guards with, no safe anti-zoning moves, some of the lowest damage in the game, no plus frames to speak of (everything off his f4 string is -5 or worse, even now ... his only actual plus frames are off st 1 and st 2, which are 10 and 12 frame highs with very little range), one projectile that started up in 37 frames, a high projectile that started up in 17 frames yet tied with cyber kano for least damaging projectiles in the game, and a 9 frame poke. He also could not make use of the option select as far as I know. These were the tools he had to compete with the likes of pre-patch Raiden, KL, Tanya, Shinnok, Liu, Cage, Erron, etc. There is no way pre-patch Reptile can be considered good relative to the nonsense in the game at the time. I would say easily bottom 10, at a time when the gap between top and bottom tiers was much wider. Milky performed amazingly well but Reptile was genuinely - dare I say - abysmal at launch.

On a different note, I've never heard Gabe get as salty as the Inferno segment - that was awesome haha.

JTB123

I'm going to have to disagree. I forgot to mention that in a previous patch, Reptile also got his 7 frame d3 (his fastest poke used to be 9 frames) and a bunch of damage buffs (his bnbs which currently do low 30s now used to do even less). So to recap, Reptile had no safe specials to build meter or blow up fuzzy guards with, no safe anti-zoning moves, some of the lowest damage in the game, no plus frames to speak of (everything off his f4 string is -5 or worse, even now ... his only actual plus frames are off st 1 and st 2, which are 10 and 12 frame highs with very little range), one projectile that started up in 37 frames, a high projectile that started up in 17 frames yet tied with cyber kano for least damaging projectiles in the game, and a 9 frame poke. He also could not make use of the option select as far as I know. These were the tools he had to compete with the likes of pre-patch Raiden, KL, Tanya, Shinnok, Liu, Cage, Erron, etc. There is no way pre-patch Reptile can be considered good relative to the nonsense in the game at the time. I would say easily bottom 10, at a time when the gap between top and bottom tiers was much wider. Milky performed amazingly well but Reptile was genuinely - dare I say - abysmal at launch.

On a different note, I've never heard Gabe get as salty as the Inferno segment - that was awesome haha.
All fair points but I think looking at only his frames is not really ideal, for example his fastest poke might have been slow but don't forget he's always had a 9 frame mid in F4 which is his main stagger string. His F21 has great range and F2 is only 13f with very good reach. You can make virtually any character look bad by just listing frame data.

Also while the force balls were slow you have to take into account what he gets once they're on screen, they allow him to command a lot more space and he's always had his safe 50/50s and correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't his B2 launcher always been plus on block?

Granted when you compare him to some of the other dumb shit at that time he doesn't look like much but calling him abysmal is a stretch for me.

@TheGabStandard s Inferno saly is also great I agree :DOGE

I'm free :oops::eek:

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
All fair points but I think looking at only his frames is not really ideal, for example his fastest poke might have been slow but don't forget he's always had a 9 frame mid in F4 which is his main stagger string. His F21 has great range and F2 is only 13f with very good reach. You can make virtually any character look bad by just listing frame data.

Also while the force balls were slow you have to take into account what he gets once they're on screen, they allow him to command a lot more space and he's always had his safe 50/50s and correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't his B2 launcher always been plus on block?

Granted when you compare him to some of the other dumb shit at that time he doesn't look like much but calling him abysmal is a stretch for me.

@TheGabStandard s Inferno saly is also great I agree :DOGE

I'm free :oops::eek:
Fair enough - I was just kidding with the "abysmal" thing. He definitely always had some decent tools (although I maintain that it paled in comparison to some of the other stuff in the game).

Sad to hear you guys are so down on the game. I'm personally a bit higher on it recently. The stuff I hated most in MKX(L) - completely safe gapless rekkas and looping hard to blockables - are now toned down. There's still lots of silly stuff in the game, and it is a lot more guess heavy than something like SFV, but I'm having fun with it.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I felt this episode was really negative about the game. Many complains on many aspects and not enough props.
It's just how we feel unfortunately. We love the MK franchise and to have waited so long for this installment and it to not be something we're crazy about sucks for us.

The game has a lot of stuff that I strongly disagree with and the general direction of the design and the meta is really something that doesn't appeal to me, at least from the top tier's perspective. I can enjoy the game when not fighting top tiers, but even in the mid tier there are a lot of things that have me shaking my head.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Podcast was fun as always guys!

Much thanks to the three of you for being honest with your opinions of the game. I feel the same way, just disappointed with a lot of it. Fighting games in general appear to be trending towards offense, and it's really hard to get used to.