What's new

HMK #20 w/ UndeadJim, Mustard and Ketchup

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
The Kouncil sits down to discuss the recent ongoings of the ever entertaining NRS community including Canada Cup, Defend The North and the debut of Season 2 for ESL. But most importantly you will find out how to pronounce Xarakamaka correctly.

Ususal stuff is below.

MP3 version

Topics:

Start - Canada Cup Review and DTN
31:00 - ESL Week 1 Review and ESL general discussion.
54:00 - Is educated guessing becoming a fundamental in NRS games?
1:16:00 - The Curious Cases of Quan Chi and Liu Kang and the TYM divide that follows.
1:41:00 - Reviewing an earlier episode where we listed our hopes for MKX/TYM before release, discuss if any of our wishes come true, if yes/no, why/why not.
1:56: - Remove two characters in the current roster and replace them with two including how variations would work. However, they cannot be characters that appeared in the previous game (MK9)
2:14:32 - Wrap up and bonus stuff.

Attachments

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
shout outs to @PND_Ketchup for always showing respect to @hayatei and stating that he has been ronin since jump and has putting in labor with this variation. and that even before the buffs when Hayatei has said Ronin has the potential to be a threat it was falling on deaf ears.

st9rm

viennality.com
fun listen :)

curious about the tourney in december and also about the evo thread you mentioned
def planning to go there next year!

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Woah, great listen! It would have been nice to have @xarakamaka on for the ESL and Liu Kang talk.

I fall into Mustard & Ketchup's second column of, "talks too much and plays too little" :p

Smoke for MKX.

Yes, Smoke. Not "Who? Oh you mean Enenra?". Fujin sucks. Jim is right. @Youphemism ;)

Last edited:

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I like how they pointed out the potential Liu Kang has as a character, but also cited how difficult it is to keep that character playing at a high level. High level LK's get so much hate, that there's no way players know how tough he is to play at that level.

Kitana has some tough combos too, but she doesn't need them to optimize her game. Doing them is more like gigging in Tony Hawk than playing for real. With LK, you gotta be able to do it - and do it consistently - to pull it all together and make him work. Not disparaging Kitana players; just offering a comparison on how the two characters are different. LK has a higher ceiling, but also a much greater learning curve.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Poor Cutthroat :( #RIPCutthroat #WorseThanPrepatch #StillBestVariation #WhatDoesThatSayAboutKano #BuffKano #NRSPls

DTN must have been the worst covered MKX tournament to date, we got shown maybe two matches from pools then top 8. I know the organiser is apparently a Capcom head but I don't think that's an excuse for improper coverage of the games being played at the event.

I get that a company putting $100,000 on the line is huge for the game but it's not half as easy to actually win it as it's being described. It's not just "playing a game online at home" and bam, season finals and chance at 100k. It's having to deal with up to several seconds of input delay, not being able to do fundamental things like react to moves and punish moves properly. It's being poked when you're plus or when you try to poke them when they're minus, getting beat by multiple pokes you find yourself unable to deal with because your inputs don't come out when you've pressed the button. It's getting punished for playing properly, having people who clearly aren't outplaying you get away with it because of lag. I took part in almost every week of season 1 and every single time I got beat by people who were not outplaying me. Put me in an offline setting and I'd be fine with that, at least I'd be able to say I got outplayed, but online makes things a lot worse and matches a lot harder and getting even part of the weekly 1k is not that easy. At that point in time I needed that money so I could go to my local and practice offline with other players but I couldn't, and instead the chance at that money was being taken from me every week just because the game can't output my inputs as soon as possible. I gave it so many chances having thought about giving up so many times during season 1 but I didn't, I made myself enter it every week because I needed that money, I told myself "maybe it'll get better, maybe I won't get scrubbed out instead of outplayed" but it never did. I grew tired of it by the end of season 1 and decided that season 2 wasn't worth it, I wasn't learning anything and nothing was getting better which is why I don't enter now. If only it were as free as 100k for playing Xbox from your home.

Block breakers suck haha, they should either be buffed or removed because noone's using them due to the resources they require and the lack of actual reward you get for using them.

Lol wakeup Quan :DOGE #QuaNJP

Yeah why did they buff Quan's B2 and skull? Those changes were as weird to me as them buffing Cutthroat...

I'd replace Jason (I just find him really boring) and Tremor (because this bitch stole what would have been Fujin's spot in KP1, lbsh) and replace them with Fujin (Jim you're awesome for wanting him too, JTB you can suck a fat one) and Havik (FUCK YOU JTB :REO ). Not going to do names for variations but I'll give a description
Fujin's variations:
One variation where he uses tornadoes as zoning tools, maybe one move where he uses his ponytail to create a funnel of wind that pushes the opponent back slowly. Maybe even a kind of pulse wind move that pushes the opponent back about D1 distance or something.
A variation where he gets the Wind Staff he should have gotten in MK Armageddon, he can use this for ranged normals and to create his own wind attacks. Think a mix of Dragon Naginata and Pred for range and a lot of spinning his staff.
Last variation would be an aggressive one where he can call in the wind to pull the opponent a little closer that can be comboed into and out of maybe. Maybe one move that's a little slow but plus that he can use at the end of blockstrings for pressure.
Havik's variations:
One zoning variation where he can use his head as a projectile and he also gets the move he had in Deception where he bent his knees backwards as he crouched and shot some energy.
One variation with taunts and a parry. The taunt would disable/rearrange the opponent's buttons for a small amount of time allowing him to get in on the opponent. The parry would break an opponents limb depending on what they attacked with causing a temporary loss of certain moves.
Last variation could have his torso spin as a pressure tool as well as his diving slide move from MKD, basically a variation with good tools to get in and stay in.

Then again John Cena sounds like the best addition to this game ever and is the only acceptable guest character addition to this game.

You're damn right I'm going to blow you up for this blatant Fujin hatred JTB :mad::mad::mad: When he gets put in in KP2 you're going to be my first victim. You're just jealous that in 1 game my character gets elevated to being Protector of Earthrealm whereas Scorpion's been nothing but a baby in every game he's been in :rolleyes: "Waaaaahhhhh Sub Zero killed my clan" "Waaaaahhhhhh I have to go kill Sub Zero" "Waaaaaaaaahhhhhh it wasn't Sub Zero all along but instead of growing from my mistakes and becoming wiser I'm going to keep complaining, try to find Quan and kill him instead of being a man about the whole thing"
Meanwhile Fujin's walking about with a badass crossbow killin....ok I'm kidding the crossbow was shit but Fujin is a badass GOD with badass moves like being able to create TORNADOES/HURRICANES. Scorpion can do what your stove can do by holding down a button and turning a knob...

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
I worked at Burger King when I was teenager. You use mustard and ketchup in equal amounts. It's a 50 50.

For those of us that don't play mk x (me) I don't post because I have no right. It's that simple. Nor do I trash the game on the boards either. Why should I ruin other peoples enjoyment on something I know nothing about? I wish more would adopt this stance.

I just wished others did the same when I played injustice.

Maybe next time.

JTB123

Poor Cutthroat :( #RIPCutthroat #WorseThanPrepatch #StillBestVariation #WhatDoesThatSayAboutKano #BuffKano #NRSPls

DTN must have been the worst covered MKX tournament to date, we got shown maybe two matches from pools then top 8. I know the organiser is apparently a Capcom head but I don't think that's an excuse for improper coverage of the games being played at the event.

I get that a company putting $100,000 on the line is huge for the game but it's not half as easy to actually win it as it's being described. It's not just "playing a game online at home" and bam, season finals and chance at 100k. It's having to deal with up to several seconds of input delay, not being able to do fundamental things like react to moves and punish moves properly. It's being poked when you're plus or when you try to poke them when they're minus, getting beat by multiple pokes you find yourself unable to deal with because your inputs don't come out when you've pressed the button. It's getting punished for playing properly, having people who clearly aren't outplaying you get away with it because of lag. I took part in almost every week of season 1 and every single time I got beat by people who were not outplaying me. Put me in an offline setting and I'd be fine with that, at least I'd be able to say I got outplayed, but online makes things a lot worse and matches a lot harder and getting even part of the weekly 1k is not that easy. At that point in time I needed that money so I could go to my local and practice offline with other players but I couldn't, and instead the chance at that money was being taken from me every week just because the game can't output my inputs as soon as possible. I gave it so many chances having thought about giving up so many times during season 1 but I didn't, I made myself enter it every week because I needed that money, I told myself "maybe it'll get better, maybe I won't get scrubbed out instead of outplayed" but it never did. I grew tired of it by the end of season 1 and decided that season 2 wasn't worth it, I wasn't learning anything and nothing was getting better which is why I don't enter now. If only it were as free as 100k for playing Xbox from your home.

Block breakers suck haha, they should either be buffed or removed because noone's using them due to the resources they require and the lack of actual reward you get for using them.

Yeah why did they buff Quan's B2 and skull? Those changes were as weird to me as them buffing Cutthroat...

I'd replace Jason (I just find him really boring) and Tremor (because this bitch stole what would have been Fujin's spot in KP1, lbsh) and replace them with Fujin (Jim you're awesome for wanting him too, JTB you can suck a fat one) and Havik (FUCK YOU JTB :REO ). Not going to do names for variations but I'll give a description
Fujin's variations:
One variation where he uses tornadoes as zoning tools, maybe one move where he uses his ponytail to create a funnel of wind that pushes the opponent back slowly. Maybe even a kind of pulse wind move that pushes the opponent back about D1 distance or something.
A variation where he gets the Wind Staff he should have gotten in MK Armageddon, he can use this for ranged normals and to create his own wind attacks. Think a mix of Dragon Naginata and Pred for range and a lot of spinning his staff.
Last variation would be an aggressive one where he can call in the wind to pull the opponent a little closer that can be comboed into and out of maybe. Maybe one move that's a little slow but plus that he can use at the end of blockstrings for pressure.
Havik's variations:
One zoning variation where he can use his head as a projectile and he also gets the move he had in Deception where he bent his knees backwards as he crouched and shot some energy.
One variation with taunts and a parry. The taunt would disable/rearrange the opponent's buttons for a small amount of time allowing him to get in on the opponent. The parry would break an opponents limb depending on what they attacked with causing a temporary loss of certain moves.
Last variation could have his torso spin as a pressure tool as well as his diving slide move from MKD, basically a variation with good tools to get in and stay in.

Then again John Cena sounds like the best addition to this game ever and is the only acceptable guest character addition to this game.

You're damn right I'm going to blow you up for this blatant Fujin hatred JTB :mad::mad::mad: When he gets put in in KP2 you're going to be my first victim. You're just jealous that in 1 game my character gets elevated to being Protector of Earthrealm whereas Scorpion's been nothing but a baby in every game he's been in :rolleyes: "Waaaaahhhhh Sub Zero killed my clan" "Waaaaahhhhhh I have to go kill Sub Zero" "Waaaaaaaaahhhhhh it wasn't Sub Zero all along but instead of growing from my mistakes and becoming wiser I'm going to keep complaining, try to find Quan and kill him instead of being a man about the whole thing"
Meanwhile Fujin's walking about with a badass crossbow killin....ok I'm kidding the crossbow was shit but Fujin is a badass GOD with badass moves like being able to create TORNADOES/HURRICANES. Scorpion can do what your stove can do by holding down a button and turning a knob...
Regarding Fujin...:p

And you can replicate Fujin's greatest moment in MKX by eating brussel sprouts and waiting 20 minutes lol

#buffthebreeze

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Regarding Fujin...:p

And you can replicate Fujin's greatest moment in MKX by eating brussel sprouts and waiting 20 minutes lol

#buffthebreeze

Protector of Earthrealm who can keep an entire realm of people alive > whiny, gullible, submissive bitch that got his whole clan killed not once but TWICE.

As if Scorpion wasn't already incompetent enough with not being able to keep his clan alive the first time around, when he's given a second chance with the new Shirai Ryu he can't keep them alive either! Worst grandmaster ever... Don't even get me started on him being gullible as fuck about Quan showing Sub killing his family when it never happened and him being Quan Chi's bitch 99% of the time :rolleyes:

I don't think you really get what tornadoes and hurricanes are if you think they're a "breeze", meanwhile Scorpion's doing what people have been doing since cavemen first did it :coffee:

JTB123

Protector of Earthrealm who can keep an entire realm of people alive > whiny, gullible, submissive bitch that got his whole clan killed not once but TWICE.

As if Scorpion wasn't already incompetent enough with not being able to keep his clan alive the first time around, when he's given a second chance with the new Shirai Ryu he can't keep them alive either! Worst grandmaster ever... Don't even get me started on him being gullible as fuck about Quan showing Sub killing his family when it never happened and him being Quan Chi's bitch 99% of the time :rolleyes:

I don't think you really get what tornadoes and hurricanes are if you think they're a "breeze", meanwhile Scorpion's doing what people have been doing since cavemen first did it :coffee:
You make it too easy sometimes man lol

Can I make a request? @FireBreather as a guest?
I'd love to have him on, there's actually a lot of EU people on my list. Xoro and Madzin are hopefully next as I've been wanting to have a discussion about Kotal and where he stands.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Finally up to date with HMK.

@Undeadjim imagine Fujin with the harsh breeze fatality where the opponent just falls over and does the peter griffin hurt knee.

Also @JTB123, the Bo' Rai Cho variation you were missing was hungover, where he can have vomit re-stands.

Regarding the MK11 potential story discussion, my hope would be that the skull in Quan Chi's chest armour belonged to Onaga the whole time, which Quan Chi had been using for its magical properties. Liu Kang became aware of this, either due to his whole dragon connections or because Quan Chi had had plans to resurrect Onaga himself before getting bodied, and so retrieves it for himself in order to resurrect Onaga and finally defeat Raiden (which he knows he cannot do himself) and take over Earthrealm and the other realms. Knowing what Onaga is capable of, the other Elder God's decide to take human form like Raiden did in order to prevent him, and so we can get some new, cool, bad-ass Elder Gods as the new protagonists.

Also, can people stop wishing for a mature MK vs DC. I feel it's exactly the same as those wanting ESL to be ran on playstation. DC will never allow sub-zero to remove superman's spine. Not going to happen.

Edit: also I think everyone's opinion on block breakers is a bit of a blow up as the general consensus came to "even if you use it to prevent death, you'll die anyway". Not if you make the right read. Chris G is possibly the only player to ever use a block breaker in tournament, and not only did it prevent his death, but he won the round.

Last edited:

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash

Fujin's variations:
Havik's variations:

Time stamp of Kano discussion?