What's new

HitBox converts... how long?? Thoughts?

Hello,

So I'm a casual SFV player - primarily I play MK11... but with the recent SFV update, I'm keen to jump back in!

I've been tempted by a HitBox for a while, but it seems like it benefits games like MK/Tekken much more than SFV... I've always played SFV on stick... was never any good with the standard controller.

Of those who used/use HitBox for SFV, how did you find it vs. other methods? How long did it take you to get accustomed to it?

I would get one in a heartbeat if I could use it on both PS4 and XBOX one, as I play different FGs on each console, that seems stupid unless I know I would commit to using it full time and only play PS4 FGs.

Thanks,

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
https://www.hitboxarcade.com/blogs/how-to-hit-box/street-fighter-v-shortcut-guide

These are the shortcuts for SFV that are great. One of my favorites is holding TOWARDS and tapping DOWN+AWAY twice for super. Not that the normal execution is hard but I am feel like I'm more consistent on Hitbox. There are more shortcuts than shown in the link. They vary by game based on how the game interprets multiple directional inputs.

I also was never much of a fan of charge characters but love Honda now. May be the char, may be the Hitbox but charge partitioning is way easier, as is maximizing charge time. Since UP+DOWN=DOWN You never have to release DOWN when Flashkicking. A quick tap of UP, while still holding DOWN makes the move happen and you are instantly already charging again.

As for time to learn, it wasn't bad a week or so, but I do play retro games on keyboard regularly so that may account for a lot. Its weird having UP where it is but I can't imagine more than a week or 2 to become comfortable. Hard to say tho.

As for MK my inputs definitely are cleaner than pad. Never really dug NRS on stick.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
strange.. didn't they used to make a hitbox that ran on xbone and pc as well as ps4?

I have been using a Mixbox recently and been loving it, it works on all three.

GhosT

Noob
You won't really gain anything running hitbox on most games and prolly any non anime game going forward. There's exceptions in everything though. But its definitely not going to improve anything on sfv.

With that said they are awesome and if you want to learn one go for it. It's not that hard if you used keyboard alot or played PC.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I can't speak directly to SF, but I have a bunch of home made Hitbox like controllers I use all the time.

I was really interested in the idea, but wasn't sure if I could see me using one. I have all kinds of fighters on PC, so I started off laying out keys on my keyboard to see if I could do stuff. Not well. Just labwork. Just could I see the possibility of getting comfortable with it. I did (I also ran into ghosting so know what that is if you keyboard)

I then moved on to making a cheap home made PC only thing using a decorative craft box and a cheap DIY kit off Amazon, and kind of snowballed from there.

I'm really super comfortable with my setup now and it honestly didn't take that long to convert, and I prefer it. That said, the real Hitbox has some questionable layout decisions and it's not super cheap if you don't like it. I just found out this week that it has two up buttons or something, which I did not mimic in my builds and have no sad emojis about not knowing. The main issue people point out is the crowding. I haven't tried one personally, but it sounds like it can be a little weird or problematic for some users.

I can't recommend the DIY route to just anyone since the quest usually ends up costing you way more than the cost of a real Hitbox, but the concept of a button only controller is super rad and works great.

You can get a PS4 hitbox and install a Brook Universal Fighting board to use it on multiple platforms

Somehow I don't think I would be doing that... void the warranty... I can't do that stuff haha
strange.. didn't they used to make a hitbox that ran on xbone and pc as well as ps4?

I have been using a Mixbox recently and been loving it, it works on all three.
I've heard the MixBox is harder to use than HitBox? Especially due to the positioning of the jump button?

Last edited:

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
You won't really gain anything running hitbox on most games and prolly any non anime game going forward. There's exceptions in everything though. But its definitely not going to improve anything on sfv.

With that said they are awesome and if you want to learn one go for it. It's not that hard if you used keyboard alot or played PC.
Hitbox is ridiculous on sfv. Ask any guile or any character player that uses a hitbox

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
I just found out this week that it has two up buttons or something, which I did not mimic in my builds and have no sad emojis about not knowing.
That's the Gafro Box that has multiple of the same button. It is a custom Hitbox not one of the official ones. It also is not legal in Capcom Pro Tour atm iirc. Hitbox has one button per action.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
That's the Gafro Box that has multiple of the same button. It is a custom Hitbox not one of the official ones. It also is not legal in Capcom Pro Tour atm iirc. Hitbox has one button per action.
I was about to ask because to hitbox pics didn't seem to have spare buttons. It was a hitbox conversation but maybe hitbox as in controller type and not in brand

DeftMonk

Noob
Hitbox is the shit but some motions in sf you will find hella annoying(gief spd, guile flash king super). Also mk11 inputs are so simple that you wont really find it that beneficial imo