What's new

Hit- and block-confirming, need advice.

hatyr

tease out the impurities
Other than setting AI to block mode 'random hit' or 'random combo' and practicing that way, does anyone have any advice for hit/block-confirming a string? Is it discipline (literally waiting to the last moment to special cancel), differentiating the sound/animation of a block vs hit, or something else? Having a hell of a time hit-confirming something as simple as, say, Sub-Zero's f22 into df2 on hit vs db1 on block.

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Other than setting AI to block mode 'random hit' or 'random combo' and practicing that way, does anyone have any advice for hit/block-confirming a string? Is it discipline (literally waiting to the last moment to special cancel), differentiating the sound/animation of a block vs hit, or something else? Having a hell of a time hit-confirming something as simple as, say, Sub-Zero's f22 into df2 on hit vs db1 on block.

Setting the AI to the random block modes worked well for me. Practicing hit confirming needs a lot of drilling (or does for me at least) so you gotta keep at it.

For special canceling, say you want to special cancel into df2 if the string hit but no cancel if blocked, what top players usually do is input the string and buffer the directional inputs df, then only press 2 when hit confirming. That's easier than inputting the whole df2 after hit confirming.

Regarding canceling into one special on hit but another on block, I don't know about any input method to make it easier.

hatyr

tease out the impurities
Setting the AI to the random block modes worked well for me. Practicing hit confirming needs a lot of drilling (or does for me at least) so you gotta keep at it.

For special canceling, say you want to special cancel into df2 if the string hit but no cancel if blocked, what top players usually do is input the string and buffer the directional inputs df, then only press 2 when hit confirming. That's easier than inputting the whole df2 after hit confirming.

Regarding canceling into one special on hit but another on block, I don't know about any input method to make it easier.
Ooo, buffering directional inputs; I will give that a good go. Thanks for the input! Will also keep drilling in practice mode. Are you paying attention to anything specifically (sound of hit vs sound of block, spacing of hit vs spacing of block, etc) or is it so ingrained at this point that it's just intuitive reaction?

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Ooo, buffering directional inputs; I will give that a good go. Thanks for the input! Will also keep drilling in practice mode. Are you paying attention to anything specifically (sound of hit vs sound of block, spacing of hit vs spacing of block, etc) or is it so ingrained at this point that it's just intuitive reaction?
I don't pay attention to anything specific, just in general the combination of animation+sound. Some moves do have more distinguished sound cues for example so if that works for you, you should definitely pay attention to it.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!

Honestly, practicing hit-confirming in practice mode will only get you so far in my experience. As soon as you can get it down mostly consistently go into real games and focus mainly on hitconfirming that one thing instead of winning/losing. Practicing in the heat of the moment is by far the best way of learning for me, practice mode is more of an aid that anything.

Also what @Braindead said, look out for any shortcuts you can with directional inputs. With FS for example when hitconfirming MbStarfish I always hold back afterwards, as on hit I have to B3 and on block I have to B1, this means I only have to worry about pressing the last input instead of worrying about the back too.

So for your example you'd be able to dial in the down for both options as they both start with it, then either go into F2 or B1. This might help or it might not, as it is only 1 input you're buffering in but no harm in giving it a go.

hatyr

tease out the impurities
Duly noted. Eager to get to work on these -- you've both given me a couple new things to consider.