What's new

History of Mortal Kombat Ep 9: Deception, It's in Us All by MKSecrets

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
The amazing Mortal Kombat History series has returned! Today, episode 9 goes falls down the rabbit hole with Mortal Kombat: Deception. Deception was the first Mortal Kombat game to have online play and surely has lots of nostalgic memories for most Mortal Kombat fans.

In this history episode, dive in with MKSecrets as they truly take you to school with Mortal Kombat History.

Source: MKSecrets
Credit: @Rampage254

Attachments

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
MKD came out the day before my 10th birthday. My mom made me wait an ENTIRE day before she took me to go get it. Never forgot that BS.

Reactions: ded

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
This series is so amazing. I could watch them all back to back. The little tidbits really appeal to the true MK fanatic. I wasn't a huge internet guy back in 2004, so I had NO IDEA Havik was originally just supposed to be an alt for Noob. I'd have been ok with that, but then we never would have gotten Noob-Smoke, which I thought was the coolest part of MKD.

The game had its share of problems, but man did Midway go fucking IN on the effort they put into it.

Also, fuck Dairou. What a shit character. I pray he never returns in any form.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I thoroughly appreciate all the work, knowledge and research ded puts into the series, but he's on blast for not mentioning Dairou's TSD :p

ded

Elder God
Could someone explain why dairou was so messed up? I played the game but I was way younger anx didnt understand fighting games nearly as well as I do now.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I was thinking about that, but me and Gambid decided not go deep into gameplay issues with all MK Games. You can check some gameplay issues in the following article me and Check wrote few years ago:
http://www.mksecrets.net/index.php?section=kolumn&lang=eng&contentID=4200
Fair enough. I'm just saying he is considerably infamous for it though.

Could someone explain why dairou was so messed up? I played the game but I was way younger anx didnt understand fighting games nearly as well as I do now.
The short answer is tombstone drop. Think of like, a hybrid of Jax's ground pound with the frame data/properties of Cyrax's anti air grab in MK9. I probably put the least time into Deception out of all the 3D games though lol so some of the guys who were still taking MK semi-seriously at the time could most likely provide a more in-depth explanation. (@THTB @General M2Dave @Konqrr )