What's new

Highborne 2.0 Breakdown/Thoughts (Write-Up)

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Introduction:
Highborne is Kitana's 2nd competitive variation that possesses strong zoning via Sai toss, and an anti zoning option via teleport. Kitana's damage in this variation is primarily unbreakable at the expanse of having damage comparable to Jade unless she gets you in the corner. The main focus of this variation is load up it's specific KB by landing three Sai Toss and then cash out with gigantic damage by ending in another of her Kbs that ends in nearly 50% health loss. However, with the new patch introduced, this variation's corner damage as well as overall damage midscreen suffers due to random hitboxes and some whiffing issues that were not addressed in the latest update of the game.

The Good:
So what exactly makes this variation still worth using? Well, the MUs where this variation excels in are (for the most part) untouched; you can still play the lame the game, and counter your opponent's lame game with smart use of the teleport. Speaking of the tele, the recent changes have made it so Kitana now enters a ducking state as begins the move, making projectiles that are high more difficult to catch her in the middle of the animation. Her universal stagger game also remains with the mind game of stance cancels at the cost of a bar but they are still negative. This means if you're opponent knows a cancel is coming, your turn is over and you have lost a defense bar. Fortunately, some of the changes made to Edenian Razors have helped her in other ways, such as making the move have a 2nd range that allows all of them to connect on block for some nice chip damage (approx 6%). It is also still possible to convert off Razors in the corner using B34 but the timing is strict and the damage is drastically lower than what it was before (from 37% to 29%). Lastly, her Sai Stab KB extra hit advantage now allows us to score the Quick Execution (df2) KB off all strings by letting us perform a j2 midscreen after scoring the KB.

The Bad:
The biggest problem this variation suffers from is the inconsistency of the Razor's hitboxes and frame data on block. What do I mean by this? Well depending on which side Kitana is on while hitting the opponent, a specific number of razors will hit that ranges from either none to all. This is universal to both male and female hitboxes. A list of what side and number of razors that hits can be found below using the newly extended range:

Left:

- B321: 1 razor, sometimes 2 depending how long the button is held.

-B14: all Razors

-B13: 1 Razor

-B3: 1 Razor

-21: 1 Razor, sometimes two depending how long the button is held.

-32: 1 Razor

F2: 1 Razor, sometimes 2 depending how long the button is held.

-12: 1 Razor

Right:

- B321: All Razors

-B14: All Razors

-B13: 0 Razor

-B3: 0 Razor

-21: All Razors

-32: 0 Razors

F2: 0 Razors

-12: 0 Razors

The frame data on block on block is just as random, ranging from -5, -2, 0, +1, to -29 depending if your opponent is crouching or standing, the distance your normals hit at, how long you held button, and how many razors hit your opponent on block. As a result, this makes Highborne Kitana extremely execution heavy in the sense that you have to not only react to how many Razors have hit the opponent on block and immediately let go of the button, but you also must memorize which number of razors will hit the opponent the opponent if they stand or crouch block. Example: B13 hits with two razors while the opponent crouch blocks, and hits with one if they stand block. The only string on block or hit that 100% will always hit all three razors on hit or block is B14 so keep this in mind. In the corner, all strings have all razors hit consistently and score 18-24% unbreakable damage that keeps the opponent standing with massive hit advantage. The only downside is that some Razors will hit at the same time so you will need to memorize which strings require you to hold the button or not.

In Closing:
Highborn unfortunately has been nerfed. Factoring all the whiffing issues that Kitana still has such as not being able to use U2 after flawless blocking, df2 not connecting on ground females, the inconsistency as well as lower damage added to corner game from the change made to razors, and one of the hardest KB requirements of landing three Sai tosses for the big damage, Fanfare might now be the definitive variation to play when choosing Kitana outside of some MUs. I only hope that this is a bug and gets hotfixed soon.

Last edited:
Just to reiterate and discuss as I find your post informative.

All the hit box issues were present before and after so that is not a Nerf. Same with kb req.

From what I understand since I'm new to kitana is that she lost her corner damage from the patch. So that is a nerf no. 1

I believe that is the only nerf correct? Let me know otherwise.

Highborn has gained razors to hit mid screen for higher combo damage correct? Or could she always combo to 200 plus damage before.

Gained an unavoidable chip damage tool mid screen and corner that is safe at worse with decent execution and plus at best with great execution. With razors.

You also gain a plus 20 combo ender with razors.

Gained slightly better damage on air ass. Match up specific but it's there.

Stronger mid screen kb, that unlocks her other kb that was otherwise dead mid screen.

Huge quality of life to react to high projectiles to punish. I assume this helps with it's anti air property if it low profiles 5f.

I think the list of buffs outweigh from my perspective. But if you were truly getting that much mileage in corner damage in real time then I can see this. It is an 80 damage difference on that one combo that can occur in the corner. So I will say this. For every time you make an opponent block you are now gaining avg 40 damage that is unavoidable and can lead to more. I think you will by far have more blocks than corner combos occur in any given game.

I know you have spent infinitely more time labbing this than I have, but I just wanted to give you a spring board for discussion.

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
genuinely curious since I gave up on this karacter on week 1, but does this variation have any combos outside of the corner that would make your opponent want to breakaway? As nice as those extra frames are for her KB combo, I would imagine 90% of the time you get that KB they'll be breaking away before you can really make any use of it.

Definitely a buff, but is it a buff that really changes anything?

True I don't think there is any reason to break away from her, but I believe the strategy is that you chip them so hard on wake up that they will want to spend a d meter to escape it. 70 damage for blocking is terrifying. Especially if it has a possibility of being plus after for a bit more mind games.

DarksydeDash

Just to reiterate and discuss as I find your post informative.

All the hit box issues were present before and after so that is not a Nerf. Same with kb req.

From what I understand since I'm new to kitana is that she lost her corner damage from the patch. So that is a nerf no. 1

I believe that is the only nerf correct? Let me know otherwise.

Highborn has gained razors to hit mid screen for higher combo damage correct? Or could she always combo to 200 plus damage before.

Gained an unavoidable chip damage tool mid screen and corner that is safe at worse with decent execution and plus at best with great execution. With razors.

You also gain a plus 20 combo ender with razors.

Gained slightly better damage on air ass. Match up specific but it's there.

Stronger mid screen kb, that unlocks her other kb that was otherwise dead mid screen.

Huge quality of life to react to high projectiles to punish. I assume this helps with it's anti air property if it low profiles 5f.

I think the list of buffs outweigh from my perspective. But if you were truly getting that much mileage in corner damage in real time then I can see this. It is an 80 damage difference on that one combo that can occur in the corner. So I will say this. For every time you make an opponent block you are now gaining avg 40 damage that is unavoidable and can lead to more. I think you will by far have more blocks than corner combos occur in any given game.

I know you have spent infinitely more time labbing this than I have, but I just wanted to give you a spring board for discussion.
That basically sums it up. Obviously we can use Sai Stab on hit to overcome these hitbox issues but the corner damage nerf really hurts. It's a shame we don't have any auto shimmy strings in the corner butnat least if we are there we don't need to worry about razors whiffing ramdomly.

DarksydeDash

I've only ha
True I don't think there is any reason to break away from her, but I believe the strategy is that you chip them so hard on wake up that they will want to spend a d meter to escape it. 70 damage for blocking is terrifying. Especially if it has a possibility of being plus after for a bit more mind games.
Now if only we can properly make it plus outside of midscreen and make it consistent. :oops:

Oh something severely undersold is 2 razor or 3 razor staggers. It is extremely good an difficult to react to since the recovery frames are non existent.

I can make razors plus in corner or mid screen what you talking about?

Also play around with far razors, it works like an autoshimmy as well. I've only been able to get it consistent in corner so far from b14.

DarksydeDash

Oh something severely undersold is 2 razor or 3 razor staggers. It is extremely good an difficult to react to since the recovery frames are non existent.

I can make razors plus in corner or mid screen what you talking about?

Also play around with far razors, it works like an autoshimmy as well. I've only been able to get it consistent in corner so far from b14.
I mean that I only was able to make razors plus 1 only midscreen and not in the corner. I'l ussed b14 and b231 for it.

By staggers from which strings though? Because I think B13 is super good for it.

Can definitely get plus 1 corner from b231, tbh that was the most consistent string for me. Also with auto release you should be getting -2 consistently from B2 string.

Thanks for the recap, I didn't try Kitana since the patch dropped. I hoped for a damage buff and a better KB requirement on Gutted. Because only 18% when you finally open someone, yeah that's not great.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Did they allow her to combo a fan after b3,4 now? I messed around with her custom moves and it seems you can only combo ground war with it.
Also in custom, it seems only her up fan allows midscreen combos. I dont know why this isnt in a variation.

Did they allow her to combo a fan after b3,4 now? I messed around with her custom moves and it seems you can only combo ground war with it.
Also in custom, it seems only her up fan allows midscreen combos. I dont know why this isnt in a variation.
Eh why you talking about custom variations in a highborn thread?

You're usually on point lol.

In the corner you can get a d3 out. But depending on how you condition with 2 or 3 razors pretty sure you can just go for D1 or reloop. This is why I think she is pretty damn scary if someone mains her with good execution.

I could be really wrong but I still think it's a large buff for most actual matches.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
@AK Harold Read what i said, its was about the fact you can only do fan combos midscreen with the custom move because a lot of kitana players were wondering why they cant regularly do it. Im just addressing a point.