What's new

High level play and learning opportunities.

chores

bad at things
stole this from the street fighter subreddit a few years ago -- i read it before analyzing matches (both my own and others)

1. First thing's first. Who does what first and what happens because of it? - The opening salvo. There can be a ton to learn here. If my opening sequence was or wasn't successful, why?
  2. Footsies/Neutral Moments. - Are there missed buttons? Are there moments that I was fooled? Who controlled the stage? And, of course, the question that should be asked during and after every exchange, was there damage that was left on the table or, if I took damage, what did I do that let them in.
  3. Jump-ins/gambits and Anti-Airs. - Simple but obviously crucial. Any time that a player makes a true move to get in and set something up. If it worked, why? Did I get the most out of it that I could? And conversely, if they are the ones that attempted to make a big move, did I react to it right?
  4. Scramble moments. - When a player makes an attempt to get in but the situation is defended without leading to a punish or advantageous situation, what did I do to get to out of that situation. Were things reset to the neutral game or did someone manage a big hit/combo/reversal of fortune.
  5. Resource Management. - Did I throw out an EX when a regular special would have worked exactly the same? Did I miss times to build meter? Did I miss meter burns that could have put more damage up and would that damage have been worth the meter?
  6. Key Momentum Points. - Last but not least I'll just look at the core momentum shifts of the game, the points where huge damage was doled out or dropped, the scrambles that lead to one person getting advantage. Basically I'll just look at the major moments in a more broad sense while applying all of the above.