What's new

Question - Demolition Hi / Sonya's run cancel timing in Demolition

Hi there
I'm new to the forum, my name is Tony. However I am not new to Mortal Kombat. I main Sonya and in MK9 I was able to do 50% damage in one combo and I know I will get there in MKX but I am having trouble with the run in timing. In demolition in particular..

I'm on PS4 here and I dont yet have the fancy fighter language down yet...

My starter in Demolition is Square Square Triangle, and then I want to run in and do another como but everytime I run in I only connect with them 30% of the time. Yes I make sure my stamina has filled up all the way.

I try to press FF-R2 to run after she throws the grenade and says "WHORAH" but its almost like I never connect. Sometimes I can with square triangle leg grab but it isnt often enough.

I would like to be able to do Square Square Triangle, Run In, Square Triangle, Close Frag Grenade, Run In, Square Square, Leg Grab eventually.

Can someone give me guidance in regards to the timing? Why am I only able to hit this 30% of the time? They always fall right as I reach them, but I have been able to do it.

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
this is just a really strict combo to do midscreen honestly just keep practicing it. Though if i landed a 112 i would just refill grenades or just save this combo for when im closer to the corner because of how inconsistent i get it.

Kevin 7

The bad boy scout
Legend:
Square: 1
Triangle: 2
X: 3
Circle: 4

Personally I had issues with attempting to run cancels in Sonya's combos in Demolition as well. It really is just practice. Me personally, I just did one part of the combo 100% of the time before adding another step. So I would just master the one run cancel for now. Once you feel you can do this combo 100% of the time. Then move on to the second run cancel. This took me a couple days to eventually feel like second nature. Eventually it's going to dawn on you and your hands will figure it out. The issue with run cancel is your mind does one thing and your hands fall behind. I think an easier one you can do is.

Combo with 1 run cancel: 2,1,3 down to back 1, forward forward block, (when in contact) 1,1,2 leg grab.
Combo with 2 run cancels: 2,1,3, down to back 1, forward forward block, 1,2, forward forward block, 1,1,2 leg grab.
Combo 3 just add a dive kick to any of these.

These combos should be enough to get you started. This way it will kinda teach you the run mechanic. Hope this helps.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Welcome! There are varying notations (it depends on the person writing out the combo) but your universal stuff is this:
1 = Square on Playstation / X on Xbox
2 = Triangle on Playstation / Y on Xbox
3 = X on Playstation / A on Xbox
4 = Circle on Playstation / B on Xbox
B = back
F = forward
U = up
D = down
NJ = neutral jump, ie jumping straight up and pressing the button written after NJ. So NJ4 is jumping straight up and pressing 4 which is Circle /B.
JI = jump in, ie jumping forwards and pressing the button written after JI. So JI2 is jumping forwards and pressing Triangle / Y.
~ or xx = "...cancelled into...". If you had 112~DB4 or 112xxDB4 then you would input 112DB4 as if it was one combo.