What's new

Help?

Hey guys I just wanted to see if anyone in here would like to help me learn the game better. Iv did all the tutorials an I'm still struggling on some things, also I main jaxx an would like to know his best buttons to use for pokes an to rush down people as well.im decent on getting the combos out but struggle on the rush down part, so if anyone could help me out an maybe lab with me i would be greatly appreciated thx

Enenra-Kitsune

If it's a bad pun, damn right I'm gonna say it
I'm not very experienced with the game but I'm totally down for some Jax labbing in a couple hours if you're fine with non tournament variations. What do you play on?

As for buttons (take this with grains of salt lol) I'd say it'd be his down 3 and 4 for poking and his Forward 2 and back 1 for quick and easy punishing as both of these are are special cancelable into Gotcha. Forward 3 and it's string F3,3 is probably gonna be a main stay in your kit I use it to poke and punish. 1,2 is a nice juggle string uhhhhhh Back 3 is a cancelable low but it's kind of slow.
Jax I feel is very momentum based, once you start getting them into hit stun you get better and better. Also don't use his Down 2 for anything but Anti airing I've gotten punked on cause it's pretty short ranged. That's what I got lol

I'm still pretty new to Jax myself so anybody more experienced then me PLEASE feel free to tear me a sunder lol

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
You want to be using Jax's F33 string all the time. It's 9f in startup and has not bad range for what it is. It hits mid and you can hit confirm it into DB4 Amp or BF2 Amp for a launch that you can combo off of. The F3 string in itself is fantastic because the F3 is so fast and mid hitting which allows you to be a force to be reckoned with in the poke battle. The beauty of this string is that you can also use F3 itself as a stagger for pressure, since it recovers pretty quickly. You can use F33 as a stagger too because Jax can condition the opponent to think the overhead ender of the string is coming, which is F331.

F331 is -7 on block so your pressure ends there and your safe if they block it and don't have a 6f poke. There is a gap in F331 just before the overhead hits and your opponent can flawless block punish you for using it. Nevertheless, this adds some more pressure/mindgame potential to the mix because if they're expecting that or attempting to flawless block then you can end the string at F33 and then either go into more F3 pressure or go for a grab.

Jax likes to to throw a lot, mix it in a lot with your F3 pressure.

F3 TL;DR:
-9 frames
-mid
-staggerable
-F33 safe mid hitconfirm
-F331 staggerable each hit
-F331 -7

Midscreen combo:
F33~DB4 Amp, dash, d12, d12~DB1,1,1,1,1, 4

Easy version:
F33~BF2 Amp, dash, d12, d12~DB1,1,1,1,1, 4

Gotcha Grab:
Use 1 for more damage, 2 for corner carry, 3 for a side switch, and 4 to toss them (in the corner it restands)

Corner:
By ending your gotcha grab in the corner, you have a +4 restand so you can frametrap with F3 again. If they jump and you time your F33 right then both hits will connect in a juggle and you can combo into gotcha grab to put them in a restand again. If you mistime your F33 then the first hit will catch them jumping but the second hit will whiff.

Due to being +4, this allows you to frame trap everything in the game pretty much.

Last edited:

Perdidit

Your soul is mine!
You want to be using Jax's F33 string all the time. It's 9f in startup and has not bad range for what it is. It hits mid and you can hit confirm it into DB4 Amp or BF2 Amp for a launch that you can combo off of. The F3 string in itself is fantastic because the F3 is so fast and mid hitting which allows you to be a force to be reckoned with in the poke battle. The beauty of this string is that you can also use F3 itself as a stagger for pressure, since it recovers pretty quickly. You can use F33 as a stagger too because Jax can condition the opponent to think the overhead ender of the string is coming, which is F331.

F331 is -7 on block so your pressure ends there and your safe if they block it and don't have a 6f poke. There is a gap in F331 just before the overhead hits and your opponent can flawless block punish you for using it. Nevertheless, this adds some more pressure/mindgame potential to the mix because if they're expecting that or attempting to flawless block then you can end the string at F33 and then either go into more F3 pressure or go for a grab.

F3 TL;DR:
-9 frames
-mid
-staggerable
-F33 safe mid hitconfirm
-F331 -7

Midscreen combo:

Easy version:

Gotcha Grab:
Use 1 for more damage, 2 for corner carry, 3 for a side switch, and 4 to toss them (in the corner it restands)

Corner:
By ending your gotcha grab in the corner, you have a +4 restand so you can frametrap with F3 again. If they jump and you time your F33 right then both hits will connect in a juggle and you can combo into gotcha grab to put them in a restand again. If you mistime your F33 then the first hit will catch them jumping but the second hit will whiff.

Due to being +4, this allows you to frame trap everything in the game pretty much.
awesome info, i've been searching for something like this for jax. thank you very much.
I seem to be having issues with Midscreen combo F33~DB4 Amp, dash, d12, d12~DB1,1,1,1,1, 4.
I cant seem to get the dash down consistently, is there a trick to this?

Last edited:
I'm not very experienced with the game but I'm totally down for some Jax labbing in a couple hours if you're fine with non tournament variations. What do you play on?

As for buttons (take this with grains of salt lol) I'd say it'd be his down 3 and 4 for poking and his Forward 2 and back 1 for quick and easy punishing as both of these are are special cancelable into Gotcha. Forward 3 and it's string F3,3 is probably gonna be a main stay in your kit I use it to poke and punish. 1,2 is a nice juggle string uhhhhhh Back 3 is a cancelable low but it's kind of slow.
Jax I feel is very momentum based, once you start getting them into hit stun you get better and better. Also don't use his Down 2 for anything but Anti airing I've gotten punked on cause it's pretty short ranged. That's what I got lol

I'm still pretty new to Jax myself so anybody more experienced then me PLEASE feel free to tear me a sunder lol
I play on xbox an I'm down bro I'm always willing to learn

Scott The Scot

awesome info, i've been searching for something like this for jax. thank you very much.
I seem to be having issues with Midscreen combo F33~DB4 Amp, dash, d12, d12~DB1,1,1,1,1, 4.
I cant seem to get the dash down consistently, is there a trick to this?
No trick to it, just practicing the timing. You could try just mashing forward as much as you can after DB4 Amp until you are able to see when in the animation of recovery you should press dash OR at what height that the opponent falls at you can press dash. Then you'll sort of understand the timing.

You have to dash as early as possible and dash as far as you can. You need to make sure you press D12 when the opponent is close to hitting the ground so that the second D12 will connect. It's a pretty tricky combo.

Enenra-Kitsune

If it's a bad pun, damn right I'm gonna say it
No trick to it, just practicing the timing. You could try just mashing forward as much as you can after DB4 Amp until you are able to see when in the animation of recovery you should press dash OR at what height that the opponent falls at you can press dash. Then you'll sort of understand the timing.

You have to dash as early as possible and dash as far as you can. You need to make sure you press D12 when the opponent is close to hitting the ground so that the second D12 will connect. It's a pretty tricky combo.
I honestly didn't even think of D1,2 in mid screen juggles. You just gave me some stuff to do in the lab later thanks lol

F3 TL;DR:
-9 frames
-mid
-staggerable
-F33 safe mid hitconfirm
-F331 -7

Midscreen combo:

Easy version:

Gotcha Grab:

Corner:

Yea I dont use his war hero variant I use his tournament one hunker down so I dont have the db4

Scott The Scot

Yea I dont use his war hero variant I use his tournament one hunker down so I dont have the db4
His second tournament variation is called "Grinnin' Barret". It comes with the 'Duck and Weave' and 'Ripped' special moves (BF2 and DB4). In my opinion it's the stronger variation and I'd recommend learning it. But if you're set on the variant with the command grab then I'm not sure what combo routes that variation has from F33. I suppose you could just do the whole string or hitconfirm into DB1. Alternatively, you could use the hit advantage of F33 to go for a reset: command grab if you think they'll keep blocking or do another attack if you think they'll try and jump from your grab.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
His second tournament variation is called "Grinnin' Barret". It comes with the 'Duck and Weave' and 'Ripped' special moves (BF2 and DB4). In my opinion it's the stronger variation and I'd recommend learning it. But if you're set on the variant with the command grab then I'm not sure what combo routes that variation has from F33. I suppose you could just do the whole string or hitconfirm into DB1. Alternatively, you could use the hit advantage of F33 to go for a reset: command grab if you think they'll keep blocking or do another attack if you think they'll try and jump from your grab.
I have only played the Hunker Down variation and as far as I know... there are no combos. It's all F3 pressure, staggers, and grabs. Unless you count F33, B3, F2, into gotcha grab. lol

But after reading your write up, I'm gonna go into practice mode with the other variation tonight and see what's up.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
OH and B2 full charge KB, you can combo off that obviously. But well, very situational.

I'm interested to see what the difference in BF2 is... because hunker down has bf2 and it's a grounded dash punch.

Scott The Scot

I have only played the Hunker Down variation and as far as I know... there are no combos. It's all F3 pressure, staggers, and grabs. Unless you count F33, B3, F2, into gotcha grab. lol

But after reading your write up, I'm gonna go into practice mode with the other variation tonight and see what's up.
I think you'll love the variation! Take MK9 Cage, make the F3 staggers fairer and give him a couple of launching special moves to confirm into and that's pretty much Grinnin' Barreta Jax in this game lmao.

Scott The Scot

OH and B2 full charge KB, you can combo off that obviously. But well, very situational.

I'm interested to see what the difference in BF2 is... because hunker down has bf2 and it's a grounded dash punch.
You can combo into a fully charged B2 from a jump in, so it's pretty good on read of a wakeup if you want to punish it hard. I don't have an even semi-optimised combo for it yet, sadly.

Pretty much BF2 is like a grounded dash puch move. It's quite slow but after the initial 26 frames of startup, it goes into a crouch animation and you can use that to go under high attacks if you hold it and then let go to punish the opponents recovery- this is useful on a hard read on a projectile. Don't do this against Sonya players because they WILL Amplify that shit until the cows come home lmao.

Anyway, there's a few options from the dashpunch. Let it rock and do the mid attack that leaves you -7 I believe (don't quote me). There's an unsafe overhead, an unsafe low that side switches, a cancel for the stance if you choose to hold 2 and use it as a movment option and finally there's the amplify which is an unsafe uppercut launcher that you get your juggles from.

I just starting playing this variant I like how it's got the pop up combos more then the other one....but I do miss the expert Grappler move from the other