What's new

Help with priority rules?

Hey everyone, trying to get better at this game, but not understanding how "priority" works in some cases. I understand frame advantage, and "waiting your turn". My issue is if me and my opponent both jump attack at the same time, who wins? Is it paper,rock,scissors depending on the attack I choose? Is it host? Do kicks beat punches?

Every single time I jump with my opponent, he wins. 100%. I figure I must be doing something wrong. Help?

there's not really a priority system other then throws beating low pokes. If moves happen to hit on the same frame then they just trade
I would love to believe that, but it wouldn't be 100% if that were true. If I kick early, I take the hit. If I kick late, I take the hit. On very rare occasion we will both take a hit, but 100% of the time I take a hit. Either I'm doing something wrong, or latency really is a factor.

@avalanchegeniex

If both moves hit on the same frame, then ideally a trade results. However, this isn't always the case due to hitboxes and hurt boxes. (If your not familiar with hitboxes and hurt boxes, then I could go into detail on what they are)

For example, weapons have no hurt boxes and if they come in contact with an opponent attack with both a hitbox and hurt box then the weapon attack will win, even if they come in contact at the same time. This is why anti-airs with weapons are extremely good if they are fast enough.

In many cases, certain attacks have larger hit boxes then visually seen. So visually it appears you're attacking at the same time, but either the move is active longer, has a larger hit box, or the move you're using has a smaller hitbox.

In short, it's probably due to the hitbox and hurtobx of the attack your using, or your opponent is reading your attack earlier. Best thing to do is to go into practice mode and test the situation(s). Or you can provide match footage so we can have a better idea so we can help you level up!

-Protagonist_1

@avalanchegeniex

In short, it's probably due to the hitbox and hurtobx of the attack your using, or your opponent is reading your attack earlier. Best thing to do is to go into practice mode and test the situation(s). Or you can provide match footage so we can have a better idea so we can help you level up!

-Protagonist_1
So, if the opponent is reading my attack earlier, that suggests the earlier you attack when jump kicking, the better?

@Error and Sonic: This helps TREMENDOUSLY. Where I'm getting beat is exactly that. Both of us jump kick in the air, but I always lose. I'm guessing this is why. I've always waited until when I believe the kick should "connect", and get beat what I feel is "early". This very likely explains it. I'll give it a try over the next few days and report back.

Thanks everyone.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
@Error and Sonic: This helps TREMENDOUSLY. Where I'm getting beat is exactly that. Both of us jump kick in the air, but I always lose. I'm guessing this is why. I've always waited until when I believe the kick should "connect", and get beat what I feel is "early". This very likely explains it. I'll give it a try over the next few days and report back.

Thanks everyone.
Yes. Jumping attacks still have start up (see the move list). Also, in air to air battles, all chrs have a particular button specifically for this. It is either Jumping Punch 1 or 2. It tends to be faster than Jump Kick on start up and have a better air to air hitbox.

Thanks everyone.
Glad the community could help. Just as Error said, if both of you jump into the air, the opponent that presses their jump attack first will usually win. I believe jump punch is faster than jump kicks though, and each character has their own unique frame data, so it's best to test this in practice mode.

The drawback of your opponent doing their jump attack early (which seems to be the case here) is that it become much easier to anti-air, and you can whiff punish the recovery frames after they land. This is the "yomi" aspect when it comes to jump in attacks (yomi is a japanese terms for mind games). This is why when playing an opponent you want to stay just outside their jump-in range so their attack can whiff and you can punish.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Hey everyone, trying to get better at this game, but not understanding how "priority" works in some cases. I understand frame advantage, and "waiting your turn". My issue is if me and my opponent both jump attack at the same time, who wins? Is it paper,rock,scissors depending on the attack I choose? Is it host? Do kicks beat punches?

Every single time I jump with my opponent, he wins. 100%. I figure I must be doing something wrong. Help?
If both moves are the same startup, Active Answer Hitbox/Hurtbox and done at the same exact time they will both Trade. But if you do a move slightly before the other It will win.
It also has to do with Hitbox properties and hurtbox properties. You may have a bad hitbox and can't reach as far as opponents or your hurt or could be very large getting hit before your move connects with theirs.

Startup/Active frame is what matters here,
  • startup frames is the time it takes for the move to wind up to be active(able to hit opponent).
  • Active frames is how many frames your move can connect with opponents hitbox.
  • If your move is 10f startup and 1 active frame your move can connect on the 11th frame.
  • Recovery is how long you can't do anything when the move misses.
  • If your move connects you look at hit adv to know how long it will take till you are back at a neutral state.
  • If your move is blocked you look at block adv to see the same.
This isn't always the case but jump kicks usually have better hitboxes than jump 1's.
Jump 2's are better for air to airs while jump 1's are better for jumping on grounded opponents. Some moves disjoint thier hitbox making it hard to hit them before you get hit(Geras body slam, Baraka J3).

Hope this helps