What's new

Match-up Discussion Help with DD vs Lantern

I'm still learning this MU because Wafflez dodges all the time.

Things that are good for GL in this MU

D2, trades with body splash but you still get a full combo.
B1. Doomsday doesn't really get anything out of backdashing the b1. B1,3, chaingun good way to chip, build meter, and be safe.
Lift. Once Doomsday gets frustrated with b1 he will have to jump more. That is where lift comes in handy.

Things that are good with DD

Supernova hard for GL to deal with, however on hit DD doesn't get anything guaranteed.
Trait. Chain gun is good here, but if we can get in beforehand the trait is good.
D1, ES. Learn to block it and back up.

The Great One

"I Always d1 Lif-" SHUT UP
What can lantern do against supernova? I almost got eliminated at the last touneyment i went to because the only way to get out of supernova was to lift when i was close or MB b3 then dash cancel after it hits because it crosses up when lantern B3 or F3s

E

Eldriken

Dash forward for Supernova. >_> It's the easiest way to avoid it unless you're not good at timing it and you get to punish for free.

Also, don't rely on a Doomsday player (or any player for the matter) to necessarily get annoyed with b1 and start jumping a lot. That can lead to blocked Lantern's Mights and you will wind up eating some damage and having to deal with Doomsday blowing up your wake ups.

I'm not gonna say I blow up GL players for free or anything, but I play an awful lot with @Orochi and have learned that the MU isn't one-sided for either character. It's a pretty solid 5-5. However, GL has an awesome tool to deal with Doomsday's trait and that's one thing that pisses me off. >_<

b1's range and seemingly endless active frames does drive me nuts, but I'd rather deal with that than the stupid range on Lantern's Might.

Just wait for Orochi to come in here and explain things. He's the best GL player I've played (and seen!) and has some absolutely dirty shit. He's mindfucked me one too many times, that's for sure. :p

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
For GL doomsday ends up behind you...
Having played Noobe on multiple occasions mb b3 is the best option. He shouldn't go behind you if you hold it. Feel free to test it in the lab. Mini gun also helps a lot in the match up. I have been starting to incorporate a lot more mini guns in my game to help control space, build meter, and do chip damage. Harassing DD with mini gun works pretty well, but he does have options around that. Also if DD has meter, NEVER EVER throw air rockets, or rocket power. One ex shoulder and your right in the corner and knocked down, and that is the worst situation to be in. Also knowing how to block ES is essential, cause it's not if he gets you to the corner, it's when he gets you to the corner. Also DDs only true wake up is up venom, so everything else can be stuffed on knock down even supernova, using minigun after a knock down is a great for exploiting this and can be done at a safe enough distance where you maybe able to block up venom.

E

Eldriken

Keep in mind that if you block Up Venom and the DD player decides to MB it, it WILL cross you up and hit you, leading to him being able to d1~Venom you right back into the corner. Make sure to pay attention and after blocking the first hit, immediately switch directions that you're blocking (DO NOT CROUCH) and you will block the second hit and have a free punish.

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
Having played Noobe on multiple occasions mb b3 is the best option. He shouldn't go behind you if you hold it. Feel free to test it in the lab. Mini gun also helps a lot in the match up. I have been starter to incorporate a lot more mini guns in my game to help control space, build meter, and do chip damage. Harassing DD with mini gun works pretty well, but he does have options around that. Also if DD has meter, NEVER EVER throw air rockets, or rocket power. One ex shoulder and your right in the corner and knocked down, and that is the worst situation to be in. Also knowing how to block ES is essential, cause it's not if he gets you to the corner, it's when he gets you to the corner. Also DDs only true wake up is up venom, so everything else can be stuffed on knock down even supernova, using minigun after a knock down is a great for exploiting this and can be done at a safe enough distance where you maybe able to block up venom.
Just yolo lift dawg.

Ashenar

Ash stop trolling lol
just saying dawg. dem yolo lifts do wonders. seriously.

don't jump or use air rockets to much they honestly don't net you anything in the mu. stay grounded play footises and harass at near max b1 range it will stuff any kind of random checks for the most part when they try to venom. Also I've been able to backdash once in a blue moon doomsday's mbvenom but to be honest that's not a major concern because if they mbvenom tbh then they just spent the only bar they most likely had. blocking shakers is great but I'd also recommend learning how to slow down the doomsday players meter gaining methods in the match up. Gun is a great way to slow down the pace of the match just make sure your spacing is great. Also doomsday players have begun to use the trait as a way to punish you for trying to 223 mini gun by getting hit by the 3 at the end so the best option is to 2231 or 223 and ether try to back dash out of it or just block. Learning how to tech throws is key because his grab range is huge. I also have some interesting corner options for doomsday and also some interesting tech to stop dd and various other characters from waking up on the traited mix up. But I wont disclose them here I've had them for quite a while now.

Ashenar

Oh and one other thing most dd players after a shaker blocked in the corner will toss out another d1. If you wait and see it you can punish it on whiff with B1 into a beefy combo for good damage. Tbh always try to maximize your damage against characters like Doomsday and Zatanna for instance. These are some of the things I've learned but failed to completely execute when it counts which is something I am working on.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
Still gotta test some things in this MU but meter is very important for both characters and good defense is a must.

saving mb minigun for his trait, like kingjames said doing a raw b3 to make his supernova whiff is probably the best option for GL (easier done offline) until then mb hold b3, being able to react and punish non mb venoms and doing max damage 1 meter combos. also meter for pushblock and knowing how to space him out and tech throws. never wake up in the corner if he's dashing to reverse your wakeups lol.

People got most things covered already, but in the heat of the match when you have a top doomsday rushing you down it's tough to think about all these things and react fast. A good doomsday is trouble.