What's new

Question Help Vs smoke

Wigy

There it is...
When i try ex nut punches, i misread a lot and then i get crossover whiff punished, or smoke bombed. For the b2 f3 smokebomb, the sb comes out staggered and i often find myself getting caught out by it trying to punish the actual string with a blockstring, should i always just wait for the smokebomb

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
When i try ex nut punches, i misread a lot and then i get crossover whiff punished, or smoke bombed. For the b2 f3 smokebomb, the sb comes out staggered and i often find myself getting caught out by it trying to punish the actual string with a blockstring, should i always just wait for the smokebomb
What it sounds like to me is that your friend likes to jump....a lot lol.... For players like this I NJP a few times after every nutral string I do...

Wigy

There it is...
Yeah but when he jumps alot he has crazy reactions with the jk grab and if i try njp i just get floored

whats this friends name of yours on xbl? if he jumps that much then hes not a good smoke lol , jumping vs johnny cage = win win for cage

Fractured_Shadow

How though, cause he immediately kick grabs.
Smoke has zero air options so Cage knows that as soon as Smoke leaves the ground it is a free AA... which for Cage is 1, 2, 2, 2, 4, 4 ~ NutPunch, crossover JIP, F3,3 ~ EX Force Balls, F3, 3, B3.... that is 35% and 3/4 of a bar built back up for you every time he jumps lol.... As a Cage you have ZERO reasons to jump so getting hit by a JK~Air Grab will not happen.... A NJP will beat a cross over JIP so if he is crossing you over that is the only time you should leave the ground. The MU is 6-4 Cage but honestly it feels more like 7-3.... 8-2 if the Smoke can't hit his resets...

Fractured_Shadow

The Njp is when i get kick grabbed.
Ya you arn't AA enought then... What it sounds like he is doing is crossover JKing to escape pressure... which I LOVE when people do.... just start hoe checking him with a 1,1 after whatever block string you are using... the 1,1 will AA him if he leaves the ground and is easy to corvert into a 1,1, 2, 4, 4 ~ NutPunch... if he isn't crounching to try and poke out of F3 pressure you can link 1,1, F1 back into pressure becasue you are +3 on block.

On the topic of Smoke bomb abuse, has anyone ever punished it on block with F33xxNutpunch and the Smoke player confirmed they were blocking? I always found it kinda odd that Cyrax can punish with 11xxNet but Sub-Zero can't punish with 212/22 etc despite both starters being 9 frames.

But then I've suspected for a while Cyrax's standing 1 could be active on the 8th frame in the first place. Ultimately I'm just asking if F3 can punish it and it doesn't really change the matchup since Cage want Smoke to block anyway.
Idk but I'll test it.
I just punish with 1,3~nutpunch it's easier

Thats how I punish it, 1 being 8 frames gives you that little extra time frame
Exactly! I always go for the more consistent punishment option. It's only sacrificing 3-4% for the same results.

SIDE NOTE: I use 1,1,1 against scrubs because they try to jump out and you get a free f3,3~nutpunch.