What's new

[Help] Shimmy, Auto-shimmy

Seobones

Noob
Hey, Noob question incoming :

Can someone enlighten me on what a shimmy and auto shimmy string is exactly ?
I heard that a lot of 111 (like Cassie's) are "auto shimmy" and I don't quite get what is does exactly that make it so good.
I've try looking up online but didn't quite get any precise explanation.

Thanks in advance. :)

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
A shimmy is basically putting someone in a position where their go to option would be something like a d1 or a throw so you mix up between pressing your offense or walking back and forcing a whiff. An auto shimmy string is basically a string that baits a throw tech attempt. It works because strings like cassie 111 or noob 212 have the character lean in for the animation which looks close enogh to the throw animation so people see it and let go of block to try and tech and get blown up

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
A shimmy is basically putting someone in a position where their go to option would be something like a d1 or a throw so you mix up between pressing your offense or walking back and forcing a whiff. An auto shimmy string is basically a string that baits a throw tech attempt. It works because strings like cassie 111 or noob 212 have the character lean in for the animation which looks close enogh to the throw animation so people see it and let go of block to try and tech and get blown up
This has been killing me lately, what do you think is a good way to lab and counter against auto shimmy strings?

I don't think it has anything to do with the animation looking like the throw. It has to do with how fast the 2nd hit of the string comes out. Since you have to let go of block to tech the throw, but you need to block if your opponent doesn't throw. If the 2nd hit comes out fast enough you don't have enough time to realize they didn't throw and block. The 2nd hit in Cassie's 111 comes out in 9 frames.