What's new

Help on how to play half decent

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Never heard of this dude but apparently I was subbed him(I must have liked one of his past vids) he seems pretty nice and informative. He seems like the Bob Ross of fighting games, very chill, no ego, not arrogant and very seasoned with FG knowledge.
And also give the Tuesday show a try. He and UltraDavid do an FGC podcast every Tuesday night on Twitch on the UltraChen channel that UltraDavid does his streaming on. They will go over event results and news.

Record some of your matches and upload them on here. It might be simple little things you are missing.
Hi, I'm looking to do so, I have started to record some of my fights but don't actually know how to get it from the PS4 to the website, any ideas please?

Sounds like you are frustrated by not knowing what to do when your opponent finds your weakness. First of all, there is no "spam". There is only you getting hit with something over and over that leads to you losing because you did not know how to counter it.

If that is the case, hop into training mode, turn on the frame data dialog and put the recording mode to use. Record the character you are struggling against and perform the move(s) that are killing you. Block the moves and check the frame data. Verify if those moves are positive or negative when blocked. If they are positive on block, you must wait for pushback to push you safely away while blocking or, wait and read the opponents next move if you can predict it (i.e. you blocked so well they attempted a throw, duck the throw and uppercut them.).

If they are minus, check the amount of negative frames. Moves that are negative on block can be punished by moves that start up faster than the attacker can recover. For example:

If your opponent does a string that leaves them -10 on block, you can punish them with a move that starts up faster such as a fast standing jab that leads to a string combo that in turn leads to a larger combo if applicable. Your best bet is to use this data to learn the match-up against a character that is giving you trouble.

Having the knowledge is just part of the equation. Having the correct toolset in your bag such as a high damage combo to punish blocked attacks that are negative and knowing how to bait the opponent into leaving themselves open to counter attack are essential. Training the opponent to play by your rules is also key. You can do this by using attacks and combo strings that leave you safe on block so that you can pressure your opponent into making mistakes that open them up to counter attacks/full combo punish.

Employ mind games such as mixing up using safe mids and throws. Nuetral jump out of pressure when you know you can get away with it and land a jumping 1 or 2 into a full combo punish. Don't forget to use your defensive options when you are knocked down. Choose the best one for a given situation.

Always remember that every move in this game can be countered. You just have to learn what it is and use it. Once you do, the game converts from "He's just a spammer" to "I made him pay for relying on a weak strategy. He was not on my level." In order to get to a higher level, you must first let go of any imaginary rules that you want people to play by and play against the hardest opponents possible. You only become good by surrounding yourself with good players online/offline.

I hope that helps.
Thanks, just DM'd you

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I was in the same boat, this is the first figting game I took seriously. What I did was I stuck with one character for the first time (shao kahn). I lost pretty much every match at first but playing one character made me learn my options better. You naturally learn the safer moves and what will work and what won’t. And once you find something that works don’t spam it, be unpredictable.

I was in the same boat, this is the first figting game I took seriously. What I did was I stuck with one character for the first time (shao kahn). I lost pretty much every match at first but playing one character made me learn my options better. You naturally learn the safer moves and what will work and what won’t. And once you find something that works don’t spam it, be unpredictable.
Hi, I have focused on Noob as I enjoy this character and like his looks, I know he's not the best but as you said that all characters should still be able to potentially beat anyone. I have tried training and hints and tips and all sorts, I do like to keep variation on all moves to keep unpredictable but seem to still struggle a lot. I noticed at times my moves don't seem to do what I'm pressing so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong there. Also I can have my god moments but then just do crap on another fight. I am confident it is something simple but without someone telling me what it is, I am going to struggle to change that. For a well seasoned player, they might be able to notice what it is and tell me what to do, part of the reason I put this post up. I am still trying to figure out how to transfer my recorded fights onto the website from my PS4 but don't know how to. Cheers

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Hi, I have focused on Noob as I enjoy this character and like his looks, I know he's not the best but as you said that all characters should still be able to potentially beat anyone. I have tried training and hints and tips and all sorts, I do like to keep variation on all moves to keep unpredictable but seem to still struggle a lot. I noticed at times my moves don't seem to do what I'm pressing so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong there. Also I can have my god moments but then just do crap on another fight. I am confident it is something simple but without someone telling me what it is, I am going to struggle to change that. For a well seasoned player, they might be able to notice what it is and tell me what to do, part of the reason I put this post up. I am still trying to figure out how to transfer my recorded fights onto the website from my PS4 but don't know how to. Cheers
Inconsistency is something we all go through at first. And refining your execution to where things come out every time takes practice. The more you practice ‘cleaning up’ your inputs and making them more precise, the less problems you’ll have (and we all had to go through that, too).

If you have a Youtube account, you can use the PS4 Share button to upload videos directly to Youtube. Just browse to your video in the Capture Gallery (or whatever it’s called), hit Share, select Youtube, enter your YT login info when prompted, and then title your video and send. That’s pretty much it.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Have you messed with the menus at all? I turned something off, I forget what it was but it made a huge difference with input errors. Yup it just takes practice and the “god rounds” you have is just you correctly reading your opponent and throwing the right things. The next game could be somebody more unpredictable or maybe a different character you are not used to yet. I’d rather fight the high tier characters because I know the match ups better since EVERYONE picks them. Kotal And Kano are supposed to be trash but I lose almost every time because I rarely fight the character and I’m flying blind.