What's new

Help me understand this mentality

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Hey guys, got some messages from a salty player I beat and I tried discussing things with him. I am missing something here? Can these people be reasoned with? Should I have said something different?

https://imgur.com/a/Vk31m9G

I'm not in the sending hatemail business, I'm in the trying to make haters into training partners business.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I posted this in a reply below, but I think I should mention it here too. I guess what I was trying to do is see if I could get through to him and hopefully ease/prevent him from raging in the future against me or other players who play similar to me.

At one point or another, we were all scrubs (especially when starting out). Eventually, we learned that this kind of mentality is toxic and unhelpful in terms of leveling up, and we try to avoid it. My hope was to maybe show this person that path and that turning point.

So while I appreciate replies along the lines of "don't waste your time with idiots like this, they can't be helped" etc etc, I guess what I want to also ask you guys is what CAN WE DO to actually HELP and MAKE A DIFFERENCE for these kinds of players? Again, this guy had a pretty good robin, but a crappy attitude. Can we, as a community, do something to help people like this (especially in a online, messaging setting)?

Last edited:

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Hey guys, got some messages from a salty player I beat and I tried discussing things with him. I am missing something here? Can these people be reasoned with? Should I have said something different?

https://imgur.com/a/Vk31m9G

I'm not in the sending hatemail business, I'm in the trying to make haters into training partners business.

Thoughts?
Uncle JBeezY appreciates how you really tried to take the higher route in helping this person out. Mighty admirable of you. HOWEVER! Certain people you just cannot help because they're doomed with that fuckboy/scrub mentality that kid has. You can't help everybody and that's something you have to identify and realize. You will better off bro bro.

E

Eldriken

Total scrub mentality right there. Everything is your fault, not theirs.

Instead of choosing to learn, they whine thinking it will somehow fix their inability to adapt and overcome.

You also say roughly the same thing I do to someone who complains how I play. I usually ask them why I have to play the game how they see fit. Would they be willing to do it for me if the roles were reversed? Hell. No.

I really can't stand people like that.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Those who whine aren't good players and never learn to git gud. You most likely felt upon this guy who's a scrub. If you want games with a good player, ask @hayatei . He's the best Robin out there.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Entitled little bitch losers who got used to receiving participation trophies throughout their lives. This is RAMPANT on Tekken 7 right now. Absolute mashers who just whiff attack after attack or throw out unsafe moves that get punished. I then get a message calling me a "[ban incoming] combo spammer". Don't try to help them. They can't be helped. Just send them a kissy face emoji, block them and move on. Take solace in the fact that they'll be fuming and probably wasting time sending messages that you'll never see.

EVERY person I play that is good gets a positive message from me after. I also respond to and try to help anyone that's actually looking for tips and what not.

Online is mostly a toxic experience, but here and there I'll meet someone worth chatting with. Don't waste your time on the scrublord fucktards.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Those who whine aren't good players and never learn to git gud. You most likely felt upon this guy who's a scrub. If you want games with a good player, ask @hayatei . He's the best Robin out there.
Yes, of course hayatei is the robin god. It wasn't really about finding the best robin to play against, it was more about me trying to say something nice to him to get him to calm down lol

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Entitled little bitch losers who got used to receiving participation trophies throughout their lives. This is RAMPANT on Tekken 7 right now. Absolute mashers who just whiff attack after attack or throw out unsafe moves that get punished. I then get a message calling me a "[ban incoming] combo spammer". Don't try to help them. They can't be helped. Just send them a kissy face emoji, block them and move on. Take solace in the fact that they'll be fuming and probably wasting time sending messages that you'll never see.

EVERY person I play that is good gets a positive message from me after. I also respond to and try to help anyone that's actually looking for tips and what not.

Online is mostly a toxic experience, but here and there I'll meet someone worth chatting with. Don't waste your time on the scrublord fucktards.
Awwww we're twins :p

Gamer68

Fujin!
This reminds me of when the Injustice subreddit started downvoting Deadshot players into oblivion when they posted some of their gameplay clips. All the comments would be stuff like "Yeah, can you just not play that way, please?" like holy shit lol. NRS designs Deadshot to be -- surprise -- a zoner and yet everyone gets mad when you play him the way he was literally designed.

I used to have that type of mind set too but I was like 12. Really speaks a lot about how these people act.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I can't believe you still attempted to help him to be honest lol. You gave him WAY more time than you should have.

The only thing to understand is that people are scumbags (generally speaking, there are always exceptions of course).

Reactions: Ram

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Anyone can get angry and you only need to read the dead shot early posts to see that complaining about OP and spam is common as fuck, not just regulated to "trolls". The thing is that fighting games, particularly NRS ones some might say, can be legit frustrating at times. Just as he let loose, or didn't want to hear you doesn't mean necessarily that he is a bad guy. Anyone can get frustrated and vent.

I think you kinda disarmed him a little... but in general I think it is just not worth responding. He wasn't "talking" to you.. just venting. Just let them and move on. It is actually what they want, and it takes a lot less effort for you.

Your better off taking the time to message people that DON'T message you. To get rematches and make friends than putting effort into reply to a frustrated and angry person.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Anyone can get angry and you only need to read the dead shot early posts to see that complaining about OP and spam is common as fuck, not just regulated to "trolls". The thing is that fighting games, particularly NRS ones some might say, can be legit frustrating at times. Just as he let loose, or didn't want to hear you doesn't mean necessarily that he is a bad guy. Anyone can get frustrated and vent.

I think you kinda disarmed him a little... but in general I think it is just not worth responding. He wasn't "talking" to you.. just venting. Just let them and move on. It is actually what they want, and it takes a lot less effort for you.

Your better off taking the time to message people that DON'T message you. To get rematches and make friends than putting effort into reply to a frustrated and angry person.
I see what you're saying, but I guess what I was trying to do is see if I could get through to him and hopefully ease/prevent him from raging in the future against me or other players who play similar to me.

At one point or another, we were all scrubs (especially when starting out). Eventually, we learned that this kind of mentality is toxic and unhelpful in terms of leveling up, and we try to avoid it. My hope was to maybe show this person that path and that turning point.

Skedar70

Noob
Zoning is kind of cheap and I kind of understand the feeling but that is just how the game is and if you can't get over it then its best if you play another game. There is no need to send hate mail and insult your opponent. This guy let his salt get to his head and was inappropriate.

Reactions: Ram
E

Eldriken

I've found much better success pissing people off by responding to hatemail with "k guy". I leave them unblocked for the aftermath.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I see what you're saying, but I guess what I was trying to do is see if I could get through to him and hopefully ease/prevent him from raging in the future against me or other players who play similar to me.

Some people aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about. You see it all the time in life. A wife who stays with a deadbeat husband who treats her like shit. She complains incessantly about it to her friends. Her friends ask "Why don't you leave?" "I don't know..." The answer is some people just thrive on being a victim. They won't do anything to change the situation or try to make things better. They'll just keep bitching because that's just what they do.

E

Eldriken

I've had a few people stop whining on the mic during a match by turning mine on and telling them to hush for a minute and I'll show them their options. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

However, when it does and you see the person already starting to handle the match differently, it's very fulfilling.

You know it's gonna work when they go quiet and stop moving their character because they're listening. lol

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
I've had a few people stop whining on the mic during a match by turning mine on and telling them to hush for a minute and I'll show them their options. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

However, when it does and you see the person already starting to handle the match differently, it's very fulfilling.

You know it's gonna work when they go quiet and stop moving their character because they're listening. lol
Although i'm kinda scared to do this lol, it does seem like a nice idea. Thanks!