What's new

Help me understand this mentality

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
It's idiots like these that ends up justifying the elitist mindset that the FGC can have sometimes. It's why u hv ppl telling scrubs to just "git gud" instead of helping them out. Tilt happens and that's ok, OP if u are serious abt trying to help them out, ur best shot is probably letting them get their steam off before attempting to try and help ppl like these out. It's usually best if they're calm.

Rizz091

Noob
Yah I've gotten mail like this before and I usually respond with ggs and encourage them to check the replay. And offer to help. Sometimes people end up apologizing for their hate mail after. Other times it just continues and at that point I just ignore them and move on. Don't have time for toxic people. I just wanna keep getting better with good players who respect the game.

Also sometimes depending on my mood, I may just make fun of them so they just look at how ridiculous they're being and how they're embarrassing themselves. Like you're so worked up over an online game that you actually went through the effort to send me a message crying about it? What are you expecting out of this conversation?

Last edited:

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Hey guys, got some messages from a salty player I beat and I tried discussing things with him. I am missing something here? Can these people be reasoned with? Should I have said something different?

https://imgur.com/a/Vk31m9G

I'm not in the sending hatemail business, I'm in the trying to make haters into training partners business.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I posted this in a reply below, but I think I should mention it here too. I guess what I was trying to do is see if I could get through to him and hopefully ease/prevent him from raging in the future against me or other players who play similar to me.

At one point or another, we were all scrubs (especially when starting out). Eventually, we learned that this kind of mentality is toxic and unhelpful in terms of leveling up, and we try to avoid it. My hope was to maybe show this person that path and that turning point.

So while I appreciate replies along the lines of "don't waste your time with idiots like this, they can't be helped" etc etc, I guess what I want to also ask you guys is what CAN WE DO to actually HELP and MAKE A DIFFERENCE for these kinds of players? Again, this guy had a pretty good robin, but a crappy attitude. Can we, as a community, do something to help people like this (especially in a online, messaging setting)?
Nope, he's just a twat. You represented yourself extremely well and in a damn respectable fashion, and should be proud of yourself. Fuck that asshole, loser mentality, and a waste of your time.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
Block Spammer. I was called a block spammer and that will now and forever be the height of my FGC career. I only hope everyone else has achieved such a prestigious accolade.

Also once got called a repeater, because I did optimal combos, and apparently I'm expected to just make up random conversions on the fly or something. I really tried to reason with that guy, pointing out that he was dangerously close to calling me a combo spammer, which I had thought was just a meme. But he actually agreed and said that I, indeed, was a combo spammer.
My accolade I will remember forever, for its egregious spelling and content. Street Fighter IV, Arcade Edition on PS3. "You're one of those walk forward and block mutha fuckers"

You can imagine where the conversation went from there. He was playing Oni and I was playing Zangief. :confused:

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Hey guys, got some messages from a salty player I beat and I tried discussing things with him. I am missing something here? Can these people be reasoned with? Should I have said something different?

I'm not in the sending hatemail business, I'm in the trying to make haters into training partners business.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I posted this in a reply below, but I think I should mention it here too. I guess what I was trying to do is see if I could get through to him and hopefully ease/prevent him from raging in the future against me or other players who play similar to me.

At one point or another, we were all scrubs (especially when starting out). Eventually, we learned that this kind of mentality is toxic and unhelpful in terms of leveling up, and we try to avoid it. My hope was to maybe show this person that path and that turning point.

So while I appreciate replies along the lines of "don't waste your time with idiots like this, they can't be helped" etc etc, I guess what I want to also ask you guys is what CAN WE DO to actually HELP and MAKE A DIFFERENCE for these kinds of players? Again, this guy had a pretty good robin, but a crappy attitude. Can we, as a community, do something to help people like this (especially in a online, messaging setting)?

Not even a little bit. Bad attitude is a choice and you can't force people to change. They have to WANT to change.

You could maybe convince him over a mic since that humanizes the whole exchange a bit more but even then you're probably going to be met with the same amount of shit talk.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Should have made fun of him for wasting $60 on a video game to lose to your spamming. :p

But really, you can't do anything about people like this other than ignore them.

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
While I understand that a lot of these guys can be "saved" from their scrub mentalities, I find it exhausting typing out message after message trying to reason with these guys. Especially when I've received completely opposite messages from guys who actually are genuine and want to play more so they can learn. I'd rather give those guys my full attention and respect and add them because a lot of them get ignored and looked down on by some pro players.

But screw the toxic scrubs. If you're playing like an idiot and you lose and complain, I'm not going to help you. If you actually try and play well, then lose to my character and complain, I might help you. But if you're throwing insults and adding -spammer to every word, I'm just gonna meme you, because I find the salty rage quite hilarious.

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020

That point you made about "playing how you want me to play" is exactly why I stopped playing poker with people who aren't already my friends. Some people feel like there is only one way to play a particular game, and if you don't do that, then you're abusing tactics. Some people just can't handle losing. Even I get that way sometimes, let me run across a G player in SF:V and I turn into the saltiest of bitches lol

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Of course he plays Robin too lol that just ices the cheesecake. And even better that he’s crying about Cyborg. There’s nothing to understand he’s just a loser
As a Robin main, I'm offended.

But I get it, most of the Robins I play against online always teabag uselessly it's kind of bad sportsmanship but whatever, anonymity on the internet makes people act like douchebags and that's never gonna change - one of them told me to burn in hell after our matches so...I don't know I think it's more important to focus on how you personally react when you win or lose. I like to send messages to people to either tell them helpful advice on how to improve if I see they're new, or to tell them GG.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Lost cause, here...keep it movin'. Maybe throw more salt on the wound if you're feeling devious lol.

But really, there's no reasoning. You can adjust your gameplan all you want or try to reason, they'll just bitch continuously or just reveal they're drunk ass trolls.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I get hate messages when I LOSE. lmao

Which, in Inj2, is a lot because I'm trash at that game. But I get called a scared little bitch a lot for playing defensive with WW (do you know how nice it is when I'm NOT the one having to go to the opponent with WW lol) or the same thing when zoning with starfire.

I just respond with, "it's ok, ggs to you too, <3"

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Lost cause, here...keep it movin'. Maybe throw more salt on the wound if you're feeling devious lol.

But really, there's no reasoning. You can adjust your gameplan all you want or try to reason, they'll just bitch continuously or just reveal they're drunk ass trolls.
Speaking of adjusting gameplan, any backup plans/hopes if Reptile doesn't make the cut for MK11?

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Fighting game players don't want to accept their own shortcomings. If they really were that much better than you, they would know the matchup and have a gameplan to beat whatever character they think is bullshit.

Sometimes you just lose