What's new

Help me level up

Killjoy McGee

[Hype Intensifies]
Hi all, I need some help.

I became an avid fighting game player on the back end of the MK9 lifecycle where I played Reptile mainly (and terribly) and when Injustice 1 came out I immediately jumped ship and picked up the Flash who is one of my favorite dc characters. Now at this point I didn't know much about fighting games, Hell I barely know anything now! But I did alright for myself won a few games (ragequit quite a few as well) and overall was really pleased with how I'd gotten better and became what I thought was a really good player. I had my fair share of issues with zoners. Supermen, Black Adams and the like but by the end I really thought I learned how to overcome these issues (the buffs didn't hurt either ;) )

However with the release of Injustice 2 I have felt a consistent feeling of not being good enough, whether it's punishes, zoners, or just general shitty play on my end I feel as though I've taken a massive step back in terms of my overall level of play, I've also not really been involved with TYM since the beginning of MKX and other than the red hood forums haven't really gotten involved or been keeping up with tourneys and small weekly events.

So my question to the Flash community, and the TYM community as a whole is this: Help me level up, help me become a better player, show me what I should be doing and shouldn't be doing, point me in the direction of the ideal injustice gameplay and how I should be playing flash. I understand that a lot of the work will be up to me and I understand that, but I want to reach out to you guys who in my experience have been nothing but welcoming to me personally. GT is IJS_McGee if people want to add me and show me the ways of the Speedforce and Injustice 2 :D

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
If you want to get good, make sure you keep on playing people better than you, even if you are betting bopped. UNderstanding frame data (there are many helpful youttube videos that explain it) Make sure you have a good mindset, dont send hatemail or act scrubby, people with this mentality end up being trash. IF you are planning on playing flash , make sure you look up the flash combo threads here, and get twitter so you can ask Honeybee, and Zyphox questions. You also need to know that honeybee is the flash god lord. And be constantly in practice mode grinding out combos if execution is your issue.

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
if you wanna win then dont play flash, period. Its friggin hideous what players half of your skill level do to you by just picking the right characters

Damn so many weak players on TYM nowadays. Flash is good. @Killjoy McGee follow @EMPEROR_KNICKS advice.

Flash thrives off executing when you get the opportunity you need to exploit it. He takes work, but he is also allowed to be really good depending on the player. He has always been that kind of character. His corner game still decimates life bars. His trait is still one of the best in the game as it adds damage or creates it.

You need extensive match up knowledge. I would add to play all skill level players. If you play someone that is equal or weaker, pull your punches to see how to defend and neutral. Hell I do this against good players too to see if I can win without his damage and mix up. His largest hurdle is defense and neutral. . . no one here will contest that Flash has a bad up close game and mix up game. So you need lots of different play styles for each match up so you know how to handle yourself and counter.

Online it is tough since you have to do more reads than react though. So be sure to get your fair share of offline games too so that you can test your timing and reaction.

To the naysayers, play me. I could use the practice. Win or lose, I will win.

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
Gotta apologize, i was a little out of line with that crap i said.
I was just mad salty over some aquaman player that i just for the life of me could not touch.

@kelevra
aquaman is very rough right now. He is for lack of better words a low skill cap character though. While you maybe are playing at half of Flash's potential, that player was probably playing at 80% of aquaman's. Beyond that, you have to feint to get him to press a button in anticipation then punish for the knockdown. Remember, aquaman cannot do anything once he is knocked down. To be honest most MU's play this way.

Flash's best move hands down is Running Man Stance. It allows sick combos in corner, safe pressure, breaks zoning etc. Aquaman and Ivy's tracking projectile though make it difficult. Plus since we no longer have BF2 to punish 3/4 screen, we have to be a little more patient against Aquaman and move to half screen distance where he can actually fight back now.

Methysan

Noob
I could use some leveling up as well. I've got 2 questions if anyone is willing to help.

1. Why is it if I do B22 and hold back and roll forward (HCF) I get lightning kick, but if I do B22 xx HCF 2 I get lightning punches? I have to let the stick go back to neutral to get fists of fury (HCF 1). Is this just a case of overlapping inputs and the game is trying to compensate/guess? Why does the same motion count as a HCF in one instance and not another? This is with negative edge and input shortcuts off and alternate controls on.

2. What are the pros and cons of Flash and Canary? They both seem to have similar game plans.

TonyFatFingers

I usually lose, but at least it's flashy.
The :l from your b22 is probably reading with the :d:qtr:r2 and registering as :l:qtl:d:qtr:r2.
That happens to me all the time, you just need to make sure you're not rushing the inputs.
My 2 cents.