What's new

Question Help me guys...

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Alright. So i am at a bit of a crossroads when it comes to my MK9 life. Lately, I find myself unable to find as much joy in the game as normal. After my performance at Frosty Faustings i was at an all time high in my feeling toward the game and was looking to the future. However, over these last 2 weeks i have seen and felt my interest fall off a metaphorical cliff. I am no longer playing well or even finding as much fun in the game. I went to a local last thursday and was not even as excited as usual and wishing to get myself ready to compete as i normally do at all bnbs.

So i come here to ask the opinions of those who probly have seen me play or may even know me. What should i do? I have thought about dropping rain to truly attempt to see how i do with a "top tier" or even just dropping the game completely but i cannot force myself to truly make a decision. I have made the decision that i will most likely not be traveling outside of atlanta for anymore tournaments and after Final Round I may call it quits at that point for sure. I know i wanna still hang out with the Atlanta guys especially now that we truly have a place to meet up every week. It sucks that my dilemma has to come now when Atlanta is looking like it can become a more powerful piece in the MK community.

Any advice is appreciated guys.

L0rdoftheFLY Mr Aquaman Reno_Racks Peckapowa MK Kobra Espio

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Alright. So i am at a bit of a crossroads when it comes to my MK9 life. Lately, I find myself unable to find as much joy in the game as normal. After my performance at Frosty Faustings i was at an all time high in my feeling toward the game and was looking to the future. However, over these last 2 weeks i have seen and felt my interest fall off a metaphorical cliff. I am no longer playing well or even finding as much fun in the game. I went to a local last thursday and was not even as excited as usual and wishing to get myself ready to compete as i normally do at all bnbs.

So i come here to ask the opinions of those who probly have seen me play or may even know me. What should i do? I have thought about dropping rain to truly attempt to see how i do with a "top tier" or even just dropping the game completely but i cannot force myself to truly make a decision. I have made the decision that i will most likely not be traveling outside of atlanta for anymore tournaments and after Final Round I may call it quits at that point for sure. I know i wanna still hang out with the Atlanta guys especially now that we truly have a place to meet up every week. It sucks that my dilemma has to come now when Atlanta is looking like it can become a more powerful piece in the MK community.

Any advice is appreciated guys.

L0rdoftheFLY Mr Aquaman Reno_Racks Peckapowa MK Kobra Espio

It sounds to me like you're burnt out Kasey. I'd just take a break, as long as you need till you can enjoy the game again.

Play different games, focus on something else etc. it's good for you :).

I had a point where I took a two week break from MK and when I came back, it was exciting and fun again, but everyone is different, you might need more or less time depending.

You can take a break on a high note too because all your hard work paid off :).

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
don't pick up a top tier for the sake of picking one up

if there's one you really like though, there's no reason not to try them

I think rain is really good though

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
don't pick up a top tier for the sake of picking one up

if there's one you really like though, there's no reason not to try them

I think rain is really good though
I think he is an awesome idea in a character but ive done i think the best ill ever get to with him. Like ive said before i think rain is an amazing character thrust into a game where his good tools and footsie tools get put to waste and laughed at by the characters that have no reason to respect them. Also like i said in that Shang MU thread to foxy, i dont think im skilled enough to truly bring rain to his most amazing potential. I like a couple of the best characters but i guess i havent truly devoted myself to them. I think if i put my head into one like i have rain i could do well but then it feels like ive wasted a year of my MK life on rain. Im just torn on whether or not to give something else a try or just be happy with what i have and what ive done. Anyway ive definitely made my decision to just hang with the ATL guys and not travel almost at all. Now i just wanna decide if i should stay with the use of my time on the game or just spend it elsewhere.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Take a break dude, don't be a tier whore. I have gotten pretty sick of this game too, couple of weeks doing some skyrim, or something completely different will refresh your love for it.

EGP Wonder_Chef

I think he is an awesome idea in a character but ive done i think the best ill ever get to with him. Like ive said before i think rain is an amazing character thrust into a game where his good tools and footsie tools get put to waste and laughed at by the characters that have no reason to respect them. Also like i said in that Shang MU thread to foxy, i dont think im skilled enough to truly bring rain to his most amazing potential. I like a couple of the best characters but i guess i havent truly devoted myself to them. I think if i put my head into one like i have rain i could do well but then it feels like ive wasted a year of my MK life on rain. Im just torn on whether or not to give something else a try or just be happy with what i have and what ive done. Anyway ive definitely made my decision to just hang with the ATL guys and not travel almost at all. Now i just wanna decide if i should stay with the use of my time on the game or just spend it elsewhere.
With the right patience and movement, you can force every character to respect Rain. I mean think about it, what tools does Johnny have over rain? Johnny's dash is a bit faster, but that's about it.

You can eventually force every zoner to the wall, and at that point they need to make SOME move to get out.

All rushdown characters have to deal with Rain's footsies, even Sonya. Have you ever tried throwing out 3 xx Bubble at Sonya's max d4 range? You can actually kick her out of a d4 and get a full combo. It takes a read, but it's a good option.

And with correct meter management, everyone has to respect his armor.

I mean if Wound Cowboy can do so well with another character with a large hitbox, a 10 frame combo/pressure starter, and way WORSE wakeups than Rain, I think Rain can do absolutely great.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Pick a character that covers Rains bad MUs? Who beats him?
Its easier to say who doesnt beat him. His terrible mus (7-3 or worse) in my opinion are Kenshi, Lao, Freddy, Kitana, Kabal. Most others are 4-6 or 5-5. He doesnt have too many advantage MUs. If i were to pick up another character id solely play them like i have been rain. Liu is one im looking at most. I like him. I also play an okay sonya but i hate the idea of playing the top 5 character just to play her.

With the right patience and movement, you can force every character to respect Rain. I mean think about it, what tools does Johnny have over rain? Johnny's dash is a bit faster, but that's about it.

You can eventually force every zoner to the wall, and at that point they need to make SOME move to get out.

All rushdown characters have to deal with Rain's footsies, even Sonya. Have you ever tried throwing out 3 xx Bubble at Sonya's max d4 range? You can actually kick her out of a d4 and get a full combo. It takes a read, but it's a good option.

I mean if Wound Cowboy can do so well with another character with a large hitbox, a 10 frame combo/pressure starter, and way WORSE wakeups than Rain, I think Rain can do absolutely great.
rains wakeup isnt that good... cage owns rain in the footsie game and rain cant zone him out.... his pressure is way better.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?

Like ive said ive gotten insanely stale with rain too. At this point i think im gonna just play offline for fun with the ATL guys up to FR and then let FR be my last involvement. I get the idea behind what you are saying but like i said i have some personal flaws keeping me from going to the next level. Maybe a hiatus to only offline and then a break will clear my head for the future. Who knows. You guys may see me come back in injustice if it is good or hopefully in MK10 where rain will be the most broken character :). I think this is the best thing for me at this point though.

Does Smoke interest you at all?

Liu is going to get dominated by Kenshi. I like Sonya but how hard you have to work just makes the game less fun, but thats just a personal opinion. I would believe a high level Sonya could take on all those bad MUs you posted though?

EGP Wonder_Chef

rains wakeup is that good... cage owns rain in the footsie game and rain cant zone him out.... his pressure is way better.
don't really get what you're saying here or why

Like ive said ive gotten insanely stale with rain too. At this point i think im gonna just play offline for fun with the ATL guys up to FR and then let FR be my last involvement. I get the idea behind what you are saying but like i said i have some personal flaws keeping me from going to the next level. Maybe a hiatus to only offline and then a break will clear my head for the future. Who knows. You guys may see me come back in injustice if it is good or hopefully in MK10 where rain will be the most broken character :). I think this is the best thing for me at this point though.
well whatever is right will happen

I don't play online at all so I wouldn't call that a bad idea

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
I remember after Summer Jam last August, I completely stopped playing. Like, lost all interest and the game didn't even come out of the case until mid-December (didn't even visit TYM outside of maybe 1 time every 3 weeks). Just burnt out on it. But I came back and I'm having just as much fun (if not more) with the game as I was before I took that hiatus. I was even back to the level I previously was after only about 3 matches due to everything being second nature (and you're a hell of a lot better than me lol), and now I think I'm better. I'm seeing things in a different light and have loads of new set-ups and mindgames.

Basically, if you're not enjoying the game, then don't play it. And don't force yourself back into it either. There are THOUSANDS of other games to play. Eventually, you'll start getting the itch to MK it up again and you'll go right back to enjoying it. Everyone needs a breath of fresh air every now and again ;)

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
If you even have to ask or you are questioning your future in MK9, its time to take a break. Also, do you have the means to record your matches

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
If you even have to ask or you are questioning your future in MK9, its time to take a break. Also, do you have the means to record your matches
I will be at Reno_racks next week for some offline level up session. I will try to record a couple sets if possible.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
*match's? Ever since I got my HDPVR thingy...I like to review my match's thoroughly. It helps immensly. ;)

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
I'm on the same boat as you, I can't seem to have much fun anymore, even though I only play on weekends now to not play too much. And also I've been playing extremely bad the past few weeks.