What's new

Help In Defeating Robo Smoke: Who throws, Invisible, etc

Hey guys,

I know that a thread was developed for beating Robo Smoke. However, I still had a few questions.

I play UMK3 for 360 and have trouble against good RSmoke players. I know with the newbies you can just sit back and wait for a teleport and then combo / uppercut.

Against a good RSmoke player its different especially one that throws.

The player will throw a spear, run and auto combo and then when I block they throw like crazy sometimes I can't even get up. I then hold back on the controller to "defend" the throw then I'm hit w/ a few standing HPs and then a spear is throw.

How do you defend against a good RSmoke player who throws alot?
Who are the best fighters to use against him?
What is the best way to fight when he's invisible?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Pray...

On a serious note, hold back to prevent being thrown and use ducking lk's to stop their jabs when they attempt to throw.

When they are invisible though, don't bother looking for them to make them visible as you will get punished severely.

1. Don't jump... ever! ---Jumping against good robo smoke players usually end up with u getting thrown to the ground like a lil bitch.

2. Hold back at all times

3. Be careful with run jabs! ---Robosmokes spear is quick and is hard to detect.

4. If he goes invisable be careful. ---Turn your volume up so you can hear him when he makes a move, or just crouch lk --and block-- throw out some fire balls as well

When they charge you make it a habbit to hold back. That should get rid of the throwing like crazy. It's not just robo smokes that do this, runjabs are a part of everyones game.

Re: Help In Defeating Robo Smoke: Who throws, Invisible, et

ferris182 said:
HAgainst a good RSmoke player its different especially one that throws.

The player will throw a spear, run and auto combo and then when I block they throw like crazy sometimes I can't even get up. I then hold back on the controller to "defend" the throw then I'm hit w/ a few standing HPs and then a spear is throw.

How do you defend against a good RSmoke player who throws alot?
Who are the best fighters to use against him?
What is the best way to fight when he's invisible?
Thanks.

Don't tell me you fought against me recently. I just adopted that strategy a few days ago. Your name seems familiar too...

Well, sorry to be honest, but you can't really beat them except for watching for screwups and manipulating them to your advantage. I've generally found Kabal to be very annoying to some Robot Smoke players, although the really good ones can kick your ass no matter who you are. (A83, for example.)

EDIT: Actually, nevermind... I have a habit of doing LPs instead of HPs because LP is easier for me to reach, so it probably isn't me.

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
The strat I use against smoke sort of changes depends on who I am playing. The characters I use most effectively against him is reptile (semi-turtling) and sonya (rushdown).

Smoke's sweep is slow so you ever get a blocked sweep and you are reptile, you are counter it with a slide and it's unblockable. If you catch them jumping at you do hp -> into block. If the hp hits you ff into a fast ball, hp, slow ball, hp, hp jump kick combo. If he does an air teleport and you hp wiffs, you let the block happen and you will block the teleport then hp, fastball, hp slow ball, hp, hp jumpkick combo.

If I am Sonya the strat is just rush him down, knee him to death, getting block taps in after the knees cause ppl will try to teleport or spear after blocking some. If he jumps at you or does a teleport that is blocked, just hk him out of the air high enough then combo into a leg grab = AWESOME 2hit 35% combo - makes me laugh everytime.

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Also depends on your character you can back+lp to throw him or back+hp to go into combo if he is trying to rush you down with lp's for throws. Smoke lp is pretty slow and has a small collision so most people throws or hp into combos will take priority over his lp since you are holding back and the throw is negated.

i see most of the fellow Kombats have helped out but heres my 2 cents as well.

I am not the best writer bare with me plz

when i play a good R-Smoke player i am normally a Sub-Zero (big shock) or Kabal,

when they run jab at me when i am U-Sub-Zero i normally Jump away and either Ice Clone or jp ice clone, the jk Ice clone doesnt have suck a big box for them to hit.

p.s. for this to work you have to be on the way down on the jump and be a min distance from them, i think even shock can say that i can get my ice clones really close to some one.

when i am Classic Sub i normally turtle more and wait for them. when they are run jabbing you, you have to hold back, some times you can jump away to a hp but try to wait for their run to empty then you can jump away or start to go on the offense.

and

when they run Jab my Kabal i normally do the same as C-Sub but i spin when their run is empty, or if they are watching that to then i start to run jab and after the 2nd or 3rd run jab i try a combo.

when it comes down to if for me i normally always try to wait it out and then try the same.

ok when they go invisible i try to notice a pattern and try and counter, or i wait it out for them to try something like a spear or i watch the camera and see if they are jumping, or i lesson for the to run.

thats my 2 cents plus some, also sorry if my writing suckled so bad you didn't understand any of it.