What's new

Help! How do I deal with jump ins?

King Cash

Next Level
So I just played a match against a Noob/Saibot. All he did was jump in 3/4 then down 1/down3.

It didn’t fell like I could do anything! Occasionally I would win if I mash my down 1 after the jump in. Those were probably the times he did down,3 since it’s 9 frames instead of 7 like his down,1.

Doesn’t walk back fast enough to try and whiff punish the down,1 and his down,1 is only -4 so safe.

Outside of being fast enough to anti air. Do I just gotta hold that shit like it appears? Jump in 3/4 is -7 into -4 down,1.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Having the same problem against a Noob actually. Friend is jump-happy and the only character I've been able to cure that tendency with is Shao. I also play Cetrion (ass-tier d2) and Kang (whose d2 is better but still not Shao/Noob tier).

I guess with Cetrion s1 can function as antiair but it doesn't seem ideal. I'm just picking up Kang so not sure what else there is besides his d2.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
So I just played a match against a Noob/Saibot. All he did was jump in 3/4 then down 1/down3.

It didn’t fell like I could do anything! Occasionally I would win if I mash my down 1 after the jump in. Those were probably the times he did down,3 since it’s 9 frames instead of 7 like his down,1.

Doesn’t walk back fast enough to try and whiff punish the down,1 and his down,1 is only -4 so safe.

Outside of being fast enough to anti air. Do I just gotta hold that shit like it appears? Jump in 3/4 is -7 into -4 down,1.
We need to know what character you use.
Generally standing 1 is a universal AA you just need to lab it up in practice.
With Kotal I walk back and wiff punish with full combo. Or D2

But maybe your character has better options to react to jump in kicks. JIK is generally plus 4-10 on block so you don't have the advantage to poke. With the mashing of D1 or D3 all you have to do is block and quickly counter poke and if you hit there are moves you can jail afterwards.

Wigy

There it is...
Standing 1's for about 90% of the cast are very very good antiairs in this game.

Every character seems to have a fast s1 or s2 to deal with jump ins from playing. D1's and d3's also work.

Jacqui's d3 and Johnny's d1 can be really good for example.

Go and lab it. If you're expecting a jump in you should antiair it every time pretty much

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
Just because something is safe doesn’t mean they keep their turn.

If you miss the anti air or react slow( and jump kicks have high priority so they are strong and are harder to AA), then block it standing, immediately crouch block, let them throw out the d3 or d1, counterpoke with your d1 then it’s your turn.

At that point go into a fastish mid string which they can’t d2 or interrupt with another poke, and start your offense. Or throw and get oki going.

You can do all kinds of stuff. Block their poke, counter poke, walk back. Or short hop attack. Or short hop empty jump over their counterpoke and then go low or throw. Jump over them and whiff punish their d2, throw or string.

What character do you play?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Usually dealng with jump ins you:
-Bait the jump in and walk back just out of range, immediately trip guard when they land
-Anti air with d2 or a special
-Anti air with a normal (like a jab, or something with a good hitbox) into full combo
-Air to air by jumping at him first, into combo

If he's poking aftter a jump-in you can just block the poke, and then attack him. Also, if he's using d1, you can usually just walk back a little when you block it and it'll whiff. Or just throw him, which will beat a poke. Or short hop/jump over them if that works.

Having the same problem against a Noob actually. Friend is jump-happy and the only character I've been able to cure that tendency with is Shao. I also play Cetrion (ass-tier d2) and Kang (whose d2 is better but still not Shao/Noob tier).

I guess with Cetrion s1 can function as antiair but it doesn't seem ideal. I'm just picking up Kang so not sure what else there is besides his d2.
Cetrion s1 is an amazing anti air that you can convert into combo off of.

King Cash

Next Level
Thanks for the replies. I was using Sonya at the time. I know I can anti air (normally I db2 with her).

I’ll lab it out. Didnt seem like I had many options in the match after jump in,d1 I quickly looked at the frame data and saw d1 was -4 so I assumed it must still be his turn. He would just mash another d1.

Trip guarding, counter poking, air to air, anti air are all things I do.

I was just wondering if I miss all of those, basically is it still your turn after safe? D1. Against that noob it felt like it.

Ping was also 160+ so imma blame that lol

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Sonya in that match.
As someone else said your best option is to record the AI doing the jump in and figure out how you can anti-air them into a combo. D2 is good but if it whiffs you get punished, so try to find a standing normal attack that can catch them while in the air.

ApexPredator1509

☕️ ☕️ ☕️

D2 or flawless block and punish up 2. Would help if you'd tell us which character you use.