What's new

Match Footage Help Glass Sword Level Up

Glass Sword

Nobody
Now that I finally have some match up footage of myself I am here to ask for the help of the Smoke community in what I can improve the main thing I want to over come is the Kitana match up. I think fighting her is a big mental challenge for myself. I feel more confident fighting Kung Lao than Kitana.
Me vs Revolver Losers finals Rockem Sockem
Me vs Pokchop Winners finals Rockem Sockem

Here are the other two I played to winners finals... I wish I had my matched from CEO winterfest.
Me vs MDK
Me vs. Vote for Gote

and for reference me vs SSJ4.Crisis from a couple of months ago

EDIT 1
Glass_Sword VS. Friction Burn

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
First of all, you did AWESOME vs Pokchop.

The one thing you just need to work on with Kitana is whiff punishing. Admittedly, you caught me off guard with the teleport on my squareboosts which I thought was cool. I actually fucked up a couple times and threw out horribly spaced f21's. You have to make sure you can whiff punish or smoke bomb everything I do like that with a full combo.

CYracks

Command Grabber
at least you have your resets and fuck kitana

EDIT: that MDK guy sucks even worse than glass_sword that's impressive.

Double edit: @Ssj4Crisis_x I appreciate all your efforts, but where is the rest of the video with MDK vs Glass_Sword? The suspense is killing me, you ass.

#properuseofcommas

watched a little bit of the pokchop game

whenever you gain momentum you jump a LOT to try and stay in your opponents face if they techroll
this isn't necessarily bad but it's exploitable so be wary of how often you do it

i'll watch in more detail in a few days, if you haven't gotten another reply from me by saturday give me a tag and remind me and I'll look these over for ya.

glass sword has pleasantly surprised me over the past few months with how much he has improved. I played him at UFGT8 and he is looking WORLDS better, I've become a fan of his recently :)
Are you saying that you have hope for me? If that's the case, then I'll probably let you down :p.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
Glass_Sword if you are in the Raleigh area we should play sometime dude. I wouldn't mind running some sets and stuff. It's been a minute since i could play this game offline.

I have faith for all of you. Each of you should post more vids so everyone else can tear them down and try to help out. I'm still sad that nobody's said anything about the smoke/cyrax stuff I posted, everyone was just giving props to the cyrax player ;_;

Glass Sword

Nobody
The_SNKE
I love your oki setups very unique. I never really got into that. I play very by-the-book.You actually did not play nervious against 16bit (I think) the first time I played 16bit I was nervous as hell. It seems this match up is all about footsies and whiff punishing Kitana whenever she whiffs something. Also jumpkick fan is retarded in this match up. I need something to deal with square wave. I was told to hit her out of it, but that is well... I need to practice.

The_SNKE

BLT | RM
The_SNKE
I love your oki setups very unique. I never really got into that. I play very by-the-book.You actually did not play nervious against 16bit (I think) the first time I played 16bit I was nervous as hell. It seems this match up is all about footsies and whiff punishing Kitana whenever she whiffs something. Also jumpkick fan is retarded in this match up. I need something to deal with square wave. I was told to hit her out of it, but that is well... I need to practice.
Thanks dude. It was just casuals, and that's something I'd hope I never get nervous during haha. I did get pretty nervous when I played Satsui in tournament though, mostly because people behind me kept yelling and critiquing my every move. I so regret not putting my headphones on. But yeah, whiff punishment is definitely key in this matchup. I think a smart move is to start playing Mr. Mileena online. He plays so aggressive that just getting any kind of punish is extremely difficult. He's definitely helped me in that matchup.

Edit (since I don't want to double post)

FrothyOmen - Doesn't Kitana's JK jail you standing and force you to block the fan? I'm honestly not sure but I want to assume it is.

KRYS9984

Noob
Glass_Sword

We played a FT5 earlier and your Smoke is very good; people who are proficient with the character always give me a hard time. You know the perfect spacing to wiff punish with B2, 3 and your combo execution / conversions are spot on. Obviously, online is far from the actual game but we seemed to have a pretty good connection and got in some good matches.

My main suggestion would be to play a little more aggressive when needed such as wiffing teleports (more often) on knock downs to continue your pressure game. People don't really want to crouch block against Smoke so use his D3 for +3 on hit to keep the pressure going and hopefully get them to crouch. You can then hit confirm a launcher and deal some big damage.

Smoke is really good at laming out the opponent at full screen, so use it to your advantage. When playing at full screen, try not to throw a steady stream of Smoke bombs because an opponent will catch on to your pattern and close in on you when you're vulnerable. Instead alternate Smoke Bombs / Smoke Away to create confusion and frustrate your opponent.

Also, use grabs; his B2 and 3,D1,2 are neutral and once you condition your opponent to block, you can grab them more often and play your full screen game. After a few grabs, the opponent will try to tech your throw and you can let the full string rip for a combo / set-up.

We can spar again some time; I main Mileena, Ermac, Cyrax, Kenshi if you want some match-up experience.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Thoughts against Revolver:
-Good job on some F21 whiff punishes
-Really concentrate on cancelling b23 into smoke away/towards on block. Kitana can't punish SB, and I know it isn't an easy hit confirm (I mess this up a lot too...but if you do b23 smoke away and she tries to move in with an advancing string I think you have enough time to smoke away again and punish (or maybe just back dash).
-If you ever smoke towards though one of Kitana's strings try to punish with smoke bomb immediately before it recovers
-Use d3 to break up Kitana's pressure more because it gives her a lot more problems that d1 in that MU
-For d1 use; make certain that you force Kitana respect d1~SB because it is essential to help alleviate some of her counter-pressure and increase the
-Be careful in the corner, you took a ton of damage there. Try mixing in some more d3~smoke toward to try to get away
-Doing walk toward smoke bomb works pretty good in this MU. I sometimes will do this when I am about to enter F21 range
-The worst part of Kitana's game are her wake-up options; d4/d3/smoke through are pretty good options here. I like to be aggressive against her on wake-up a lot of the tim
-5:21 you should have won that round with an unbreakable air throw, 6:13 you could have won that round with a standard combo finish and had meter in the final round for a huge potential reset that couldn't be broken. (sorry I didn't take a ton of match notes in this one, but that particular game stood out to me)
-Throw more off d4 on hit if they are not respecting your pokes...They will start blocking low and your B2 will get a lot more effective

Thoughts against Pokchop:
-When Kenshi has no meter you should be peppering him with smoke bombs looking for trades from full screen if you can. If he is trying to move in to punish with a jump, just learn that distance where he likes to dash and jump in and you can anticipate this by dashing in so you can 2 anti-air punish(instead of throwing the bomb if he thinks you are on auto pilot)
-If you jump a spirit charge you have make sure you punish with a jump punch combo. I saw a lot of JK tele. I know if your read is JK it is hard to change it up on the fly...but when you jump from that range where SC could come out it always needs to be in the back of your mind that it could be a huge combo opportunity.
-mix in more throws off d4 on hit and B2, 1, and 2 on block. Against Kenshi, if you have a read that a D3 will hit I will do that into a standing 2 and throw or sometimes even back into d1~bomb

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I've watched and played against you a lot and you are already leveling up a ton. Two kind of major things is to make sure you close out the rounds cause you have people making comebacks when you could have taken the round. Secondly, you have to be more careful with smoke bomb up close. Pokchop murdered you on the corner for it. Just work on playing your own spacing game when the opponent gets in that sweep distance. If you notice they are jumpy refrain from using the smoke bomb when they are in jump distance and just wait or bait the anti air. Overall though you're looking better everyday. Keep it up.

Something small, but I imagine it would help you would be meter management--in one of the Revolver matches you used an ES smoke bomb in the corner (like you were going for a reset) when it looked like you could have just done an extended corner combo to finish the round.

schnitzel_on_fire

Maining the Roster
Glass_Sword there is some footage of you VS someone in the tom brady vs pig of the hut team exhibition (at gga, i believe?) sorry, don't have the link ready, but maybe someone knows. but i remember you were surprising brady: "maaan, this guy, glass sword!" :)

cheers

Kitana's blocked jump kick while standing forces you to block the fan.

not on duck though, but then you run the risk of eating a NJP 52% combo

Glass Sword

Nobody
I think every time you jumped I jumped +5 more. I was extremely nervous! Either way, thanks for busting my offline tournament cherry, lol!
You were very good you surprised me. You keep working on that Sub you know your stuff. Just try to maximize your damage more.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Thoughts against Revolver:
-Good job on some F21 whiff punishes
-Really concentrate on cancelling b23 into smoke away/towards on block. Kitana can't punish SB, and I know it isn't an easy hit confirm (I mess this up a lot too...but if you do b23 smoke away and she tries to move in with an advancing string I think you have enough time to smoke away again and punish (or maybe just back dash).
-If you ever smoke towards though one of Kitana's strings try to punish with smoke bomb immediately before it recovers
-Use d3 to break up Kitana's pressure more because it gives her a lot more problems that d1 in that MU
-For d1 use; make certain that you force Kitana respect d1~SB because it is essential to help alleviate some of her counter-pressure and increase the
-Be careful in the corner, you took a ton of damage there. Try mixing in some more d3~smoke toward to try to get away
-Doing walk toward smoke bomb works pretty good in this MU. I sometimes will do this when I am about to enter F21 range
-The worst part of Kitana's game are her wake-up options; d4/d3/smoke through are pretty good options here. I like to be aggressive against her on wake-up a lot of the tim
-5:21 you should have won that round with an unbreakable air throw, 6:13 you could have won that round with a standard combo finish and had meter in the final round for a huge potential reset that couldn't be broken. (sorry I didn't take a ton of match notes in this one, but that particular game stood out to me)
-Throw more off d4 on hit if they are not respecting your pokes...They will start blocking low and your B2 will get a lot more effective

Thoughts against Pokchop:
-When Kenshi has no meter you should be peppering him with smoke bombs looking for trades from full screen if you can. If he is trying to move in to punish with a jump, just learn that distance where he likes to dash and jump in and you can anticipate this by dashing in so you can 2 anti-air punish(instead of throwing the bomb if he thinks you are on auto pilot)
-If you jump a spirit charge you have make sure you punish with a jump punch combo. I saw a lot of JK tele. I know if your read is JK it is hard to change it up on the fly...but when you jump from that range where SC could come out it always needs to be in the back of your mind that it could be a huge combo opportunity.
-mix in more throws off d4 on hit and B2, 1, and 2 on block. Against Kenshi, if you have a read that a D3 will hit I will do that into a standing 2 and throw or sometimes even back into d1~bomb
Do you even dontay?