What's new

Question - Full Auto Help against Goro Kuatan Warrior

Hey all,

Looking for some advice. I play FT jacqui, and looking for some tips on this match up. Especially dealing with punch walk and the EX version.

What should I be doing?

ScorpXL

Goro?
Zone him out with the machine gun. It starts up way faster than anything goro can do, and it hits 3 times so it can easily break ex punchwalk's armor. The only thing goro can do is use stomp to get in, but even the ex version is stuffed by jaqui's machine gun.

I find I can zone him ok, but once he is in I seen to struggle with my lack of poking range, especially to punish pressure from him

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Zone him out with the machine gun. It starts up way faster than anything goro can do, and it hits 3 times so it can easily break ex punchwalk's armor. The only thing goro can do is use stomp to get in, but even the ex version is stuffed by jaqui's machine gun.

As someone who mains both, this exactly.

Hell, you can even catch stomp with up rocket if you're clever enough.

Once he gets in f3/f4/b4/d4 range though you're pretty much at disadvantage on all fronts. He's just as safe and just as fast with his normals(and punch walk) as Jacqui but with more armor and more range.

And don't let him get out a ground pound.

Last edited:

ScorpXL

Goro?
I find I can zone him ok, but once he is in I seen to struggle with my lack of poking range, especially to punish pressure from him
Which part of his pressure are you having trouble with? If it's d1/d3 canceled into punchwalk, there's a small gap in between the poke and punchwalk that you can armor through. Or you could just block the punchwalk. It's -5 on block, so if the goro player gets greedy and attempts to continue the pressure, you can punish with a grab or fast poke. Just watch out for an ex punchwalk that they might use after you block the regular punchwalk. Goro's very meter dependent though, and it's pretty easy to avoid his ex punchwalk by just simply baiting it on wake up and jumping over it. It doesn't recapture either, so even if you do get hit while jumping over it, you won't get caught in a full combo.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Play keep away with df2 and db3. If he tries to stomp at you use db2 for full combo. When he doesn't have meter, feel free to abuse 1212 pressure into s4 because there isn't much he can do about it and his backdash leaves much to be desired.

To be honest I haven't got much kuatan experience, and even less good kuatan experience, but this kinda works.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
avoid his ex punchwalk by just simply baiting it on wake up and jumping over it. It doesn't recapture either, so even if you do get hit while jumping over it, you won't get caught in a full combo.
No actually competent Goro is going to be throwing out EX punch walks on wake-up all willy nilly like that this far into the game. Especially not since he can MB a regular punchwalk without risking wasting a bar. It's more of a reactionary and baiting tool. If i'm going to wake-up with KW Goro, i'll probably go with EX stomp, it has armor, hits on the way up, is unblockable and moveable on the way down and AA's.

Also EX punchwalk totally recaptures even if you get hit, depending on the timing and distance.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Sorry, just re-read the OP. You said you use FT Jacqui..

Is that FA? or HT?

If it's the latter than that really sucks. You've got to bait him into using his armour and then punish him with block string pressure. Since he outranges you and his armour is infinitely better than yours, you have to be clever about how you approach him and not let him get his game started. If you see him go for the unblockable, jump over it. If he does it close enough to you, you can actually punish it with an ex dd4.

Remember to abuse lv.1 blockstrings. Goro is one of the characters that 100% can't poke out and must hold the entire 32% chip string if you manage your execution well.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
No actually competent Goro is going to be throwing out EX punch walks on wake-up all willy nilly like that this far into the game. Especially not since he can MB a regular punchwalk without risking wasting a bar. It's more of a reactionary and baiting tool. If i'm going to wake-up with KW Goro, i'll probably go with EX stomp, it has armor, hits on the way up, is unblockable and moveable on the way down and AA's.
However, it only has one hit of armor. Anything that hits fast twice will stuff it, and it only has armor on the way up. It can get stuffed the same way as regular stomp can.

Alternately, within a given range he can go with EX Chest Lunge - 1 hit of armor, reverses positions, and hits mid. Block it and it's -10 so you can punish it, but it hits at jump distance and comes in real fast.

KT can also defend itself against DF2 zoning with a ground pound - counter that with df2 MB since that'll hit him as he's doing it, and knock him on his ass.

Learn to Stanky Leg in neutral as well - it'll just straight up beat any of his normals outside of close range, is positive on block and recovers in 13 so even on whiff you can generally bust out a df2 right quick. If it hits mid screen, you can either df2 or bf1 on reaction and it'll hit.

Although personally I think stanky leg is like the most godlike move in existence so I'm kinda biased.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
However, it only has one hit of armor. Anything that hits fast twice will stuff it, and it only has armor on the way up. It can get stuffed the same way as regular stomp can.

Alternately, within a given range he can go with EX Chest Lunge - 1 hit of armor, reverses positions, and hits mid. Block it and it's -10 so you can punish it, but it hits at jump distance and comes in real fast.

Ehh I could swear i've had my chest lunges ducked before and I still think in KW EX stomp is better in all cases EXCEPT few where you're fighting someone with a fast two hitting attack, and of course when it's clear EX punchwalk will actually land. Which is why I said "probably".

Mortal Komhat

Might be one of those conditional mids, but unless you're at the tippy tip, you're hitting them, and other than df2 she has nothing to break that armor as the rest will all get stuffed before she lands the second hit.

omooba

fear the moobs
Hey all,

Looking for some advice. I play FT jacqui, and looking for some tips on this match up. Especially dealing with punch walk and the EX version.

What should I be doing?
jump. neutral jump or jump forward. goro's really bad

ScorpXL

Goro?

Also EX punchwalk totally recaptures even if you get hit, depending on the timing and distance.
Yeah, my bad. You're definitely right that no competent Goro player would risk throwing out a wake-up ex punch walk on a whim like that. I only accounted for my experiences when facing other Goros who had a habit of waking up with ex punchwalk a lot (and I had a dumb habit of doing this too when I first started playing the game :oops:) and learning in the process that Goro has better options when knocked down. As for punchwalk, I probably should have worded it better. It does recapture, but if your opponent already predicts it and begins to jump over it, and ex punchwalk only catches their leg or something, they will end up harmlessly falling behind Goro. But ex fang spin does seem to work pretty well against jump ins, and recaptures much more effectively than ex punchwalk.

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Yeah, my bad. You're definitely right that no competent Goro player would risk throwing out a wake-up ex punch walk on a whim like that. I only accounted for my experiences when facing other Goros who had a habit of waking up with ex punchwalk a lot (and I had a dumb habit of doing this too when I first started playing the game :oops:) and learning in the process that Goro has better options when knocked down. As for punchwalk, I probably should have worded it better. It does recapture, but if your opponent already predicts it and begins to jump over it, and ex punchwalk only catches their leg or something, they will end up harmlessly falling behind Goro. But ex fang spin does seem to work pretty well against jump ins, and recaptures much more effectively than ex punchwalk.
Honestly normal Fang spin is probably the best non-armored wake up in the game. fast, safe as hell, AA's, decent damage, and I swear it feels like the hit box of the blades tags people trying to hit you with certain attacks.

I have few problem getting up with it as long as I time it carefully and am paying attention to what my opponent is doing over me.

Mortal Komhat

Honestly normal Fang spin is probably the best non-armored wake up in the game. fast, safe as hell, AA's, decent damage, and I swear it feels like the hit box of the blades tags people trying to hit you with certain attacks.

I have few problem getting up with it as long as I time it carefully and am paying attention to what my opponent is doing over me.
Although Fang Spin in this case would be irrelevant since we're talking Kuatan Warrior :p

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Hey all,

What should I be doing?
Just dont let him get in, there is not much to be discussed about the particular MU. Once Goro is in, its guessing time.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Jacqui controls the space really well in this match-up, she has one of the few projectiles that break Goro's armor in FA, meaning Goro cannot just make a read and :exPunchwalk in.

Also like people have stated before, if Goro has no meter go ham, he has an below average backdash, just don't get predictable with your pressure has Goro has some of the best pokes in the game.

Telestomp ins't a real option to get in from full screen as I believe FA Machine Gun beats the startup on trade, but if you read a telestomp it should be an easy punish for jacqui. Take it to lab and find your best punish.