What's new

Hellspawn (v3) Discussion

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I am loving this variation so far, so I figured I'd made a thread to discuss it.

This is the version with the command grab and the chain stance. These moves work together to make his b1 an insane 50/50 machine. Everytime your opponent blocks your b1, they won't know whether to stand block or crouch block. Here are your options after b1:
  • b12: This will launch for a 21~bf2 followup, which you can amplify to become invisible and deal 26%. Use this to make your opponent want to stand block.
  • b1~bf2: Will only catch them if they are stand-blocking, which they should be if you make them respect b12.
  • b1~db3: This low can be amplified on reaction to keep it safe. It can be amplified incredibly late, so it's very easy to do on reaction.
  • b1~db4d: This must be blocked low and deals decent damage. It will switch sides, or you can amp on reaction to not switch sides.
It creates a very scary game for your opponent, as you can easily get within b2 range after ending with bf2 or db4d, allowing you to keep looping the mixup until they guess correctly.

After activating invisibility, you are about 3/4 screen away. One dash puts you in range for command grab , db4d and b12 (only the 2 will launch). Two dashes puts you within regular throw range. Your goal should be to land a b12 so you can kombo back into amplified bf2. This will get you a KB and reset your invisibility. You can also just zone with bf1 and db3.

If the opponent is in the corner, you are much closer to them after activating invisibility. One dash now puts you in throw range.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
This variation is super cool, I can't wait to go invisible on some fools. To add to you b12 mixups, he can cancel DB4!

I haven't seen anyone mention that you can combo from DB4 in the corner and off some strings get invisibility setup. When done in the corner, you have the right distance for a deep jump in kick. But keep in mind that they can see the dust from your footsteps.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Also noticing that DB3 has slightly high crushing hurtbox which can go under some of the higher projectiles like Johnny's frisbees. Poor mans low gun shot in that regard but a nice thing to know in those matchups.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
I’m actually kinda liking this Variation as a sort of keepaway Variation. He has access to a fullscreen projectile, a practically full screen low projectile. 3 long range chain attacks... I’m having a lot of fun forcing enemies to chase me.

And it also appears if you meterburn his Necro Shot against another Spawn and they try to dash in to get the KB, they almost always get hit by the second projectile.

rainuS

Prince of Edenia
b1 and folloups are fuzzable, first block high, then low, then duck it covers all options since cmdgrab is so slow.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I’m playing this variation too, so not to be a party pooper but doesn’t low block kinda fuck this variation?? Like the overhead isn’t too hard to react to and it’s punishable so... kinda a 50/50 variation with high risk low reward?? I’m having success with it but this is my concern.
Yeah, apparently you can just block low and release the low if you see the overhead come out. It's not crazy easy to react to, but it's still easier than with a lot of other mixups in the game.

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
Does anyone else have issues connecting bf2 after db4 11 or 24 in the corner. It whiffs everytime for me.

I am having trouble seeing how a 26f high command grab will ever land on once people lab against this variation.

The animation is subtle so it's a bit hard to see coming but still.

Kind cows

Kano main. Still a scrub
He has a couple ticks for it. Thats about your best option outside of using it as an ender. You have to play him as a zoner its wierd

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I am having trouble seeing how a 26f high command grab will ever land on once people lab against this variation.

The animation is subtle so it's a bit hard to see coming but still.
The mixup is whether you'll do b12, which is a launching overhead, or b1~bf2, which will catch them if they're stand-blocking. However, if the opponent just blocks low and releases low when they see the overhead come out, they can block all options pretty consistently.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Ive been seeing a lot of people tout the merit of V2 (mainly due to the damage) but I haven't heard much for V3 nor V1. I did hear V1 is allegedly his weakest variation though but what about V3. Other than the 50/50 shenanigans, what does it have that can make it very viable? Or is it mainly just gimmicks (going invisible, situational command grab, etc)

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Ive been seeing a lot of people tout the merit of V2 (mainly due to the damage) but I haven't heard much for V3 nor V1. I did hear V1 is allegedly his weakest variation though but what about V3. Other than the 50/50 shenanigans, what does it have that can make it very viable? Or is it mainly just gimmicks (going invisible, situational command grab, etc)
Im putting my best into v1, may do a write up.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
for one, that insane Invisible KB
mix ups are the name of the game with V3
V2 for the damage
v1 for the semi-Zoning

It really depends on how you play

for one, that insane Invisible KB
mix ups are the name of the game with V3
V2 for the damage
v1 for the semi-Zoning

It really depends on how you play
V3 can zone better than V1, imo. It's pretty much mix, zoning, and neutral.
Not really sure what the niche of V1 is yet, but the fact it has both mace and phantasm is probably important.
Plus the dive cape isn't terrible, either.

Yeah agreed with the dude above. V3 for zoning and mix for sure.

I've also been trying to figure out V1. Can't make up my mind if I wanna focus on V3 or V1. V1 seems like it might be good for rush down maybe?? With the low gunshot cancels, mix, and restand?? I haven't gotten a good idea on how hard or easy it is to punish low gunshots yet tho. Like its kinda like Baraka's chop chop in terms of punishing because A. its hard to tell when the move is over and B. its a guess on whether i meterburn or not. What is your guy's take??

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Yeah agreed with the dude above. V3 for zoning and mix for sure.

I've also been trying to figure out V1. Can't make up my mind if I wanna focus on V3 or V1. V1 seems like it might be good for rush down maybe?? With the low gunshot cancels, mix, and restand?? I haven't gotten a good idea on how hard or easy it is to punish low gunshots yet tho. Like its kinda like Baraka's chop chop in terms of punishing because A. its hard to tell when the move is over and B. its a guess on whether i meterburn or not. What is your guy's take??
Im trying to stick with it because I love pewpew smg Spawn aand BF2 being a projectile parry is fun, but he gets zoned out pretty easy and the guns are just unsafe as fuck and leave them at a distance that makes you really want the normal projectile. Idk. His base kit is pretty strong, so its hard to tell this soon. V3 is definitely better at first glance, and V2 seems to be the easiest AND best, but its just not appealing to me.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
his command grab seems to wiff after 1,1 i keep on going for it with different timing, always goes behind the opponent

Last edited: