What's new

HellSpawn Speculation

KyleKasady

Hellspawn
Hello dear fellows,

As you might now, it is safe to say that Spawn is finally joins MK. There were rumors of having him in MK somewhere before the release of MKX. Then, he was rumored to be added in Injustice 2, because of the poll created by Ed Boon in twitter (placed 1st in fact), buuuut it was Hellboy who made it in the game. So with the release of the new game and datamining of the Switch version, with having all proofs that files actually have DLC character (at least mentioning them) and dialogues, we might as well start to speculate how this character can be played.

Gameplay:

Well, Spawn is not a new thing in games and even in fighting games. He was featured in Soul Calibur II (X-box version, later included in HD Online version across console platforms). He was not considered as a strong character in SCII, even though it was fun to see such character who really stands out thanks to Todd's design. So, what is Spawn's arsenal in MK11? In SC II his primary weapon was an axe, and it makes sense, since it's weapon based fighting game (except Heihachi). I think Spawn will be armless by default, that is, being an ex-soldier, he is not a stranger when it comes to brutal force, especially with his big spike gauntlet and leg armor. Similar to Hellboy, he will probably be featured with different arms that he used in comics, like, guns, chains and even a sword (latest comics issues).

Regarding his special moves - should be a mix of what he was capable of when he was alive and hellspawn suit abilities. Spawn has been always inclined to use more of his old tricks instead using mystical powers, which he wasn't sure of, but anyway, he learned new tricks down the line. Will be there a projectile? Sort of, using fire arms. Teleport? He mentions it in with Kabal's intro, there is a chance. Something for his cape? Might be used for some utilities. I'm looking forward to what he can do.

Gear:

Well, there is a lot of possibilities to consider. Al Simmons' Spawn had some changes in design, he started in one form, then reborn agian, agian and again, with some modifications to his design. Besides, Al Simmons is not the only Hellspawn, there was a lot of different Spawns in various time areas. They were shown in comics spin-offs, like, medieval Spawn or Samurai Spawn. Also, it would be great to have Redemeer's design. He is basically an anti-spawn with a cross on his face, spikes and purple cape. Would be a nice touch!

Fatality:

Also a field of easter eggs, can't put my finger right now on exactly the way he finished some of his foes. But I bet it will be gruesome (well, duh, it's the Fatality).

So you have some thoughts about his gameplay and look, feel free to share here! This character has been around the media for a while, and his comic books have a pretty long history. That's very rich amount of material to get from.
What is your Spawn like?

Last edited:

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
man, with Spawn , there are so many possibilities .... sure his chains and cape will be a fixed stuff to be explored, but, other than that, it's almost limitless what NRS can do with him .... I mean, Spawn can manipulate energy and matter, and with this, he is limited only by his imagination .... so, yeah, he will be incredible in this game, no doubt !

Give him a fatality like he did Kincaid.

I'm expecting Spawn to have custom moves that use guns as well as his costume/chains and magic. I guarantee he'll have a teleport. I'd also like to see some throwbacks to his snes beat'em up. I'm most excited to see how they manage his cape since it was too much of a burden for SoulCalibur hence why it becomes his axe in the intro. I'm assuming Keith is doing the voice, or at least that's what I think we're all hoping for/expecting.

Also, the past leak containing the photos of the character screen and release roster supports the DLC leak with 9 extra character slots, so with that and the dialogue lines this is looking pretty real and I'm vibrating.

KyleKasady

Hellspawn
Give him a fatality like he did Kincaid.

Also, the past leak containing the photos of the character screen and release roster supports the DLC leak with 9 extra character slots, so with that and the dialogue lines this is looking pretty real and I'm vibrating.
Yeah, one of fatalities could be pretty simple like stuffing with ice creams! Or at least have this posing in the end.

I would guess his gear parts would be mask, chains, and perhaps the skull brooches on his costume.
I say this because I would expect his cape design to change with his skins to possibly incorporate stuff like gunslinger Spawn where it becomes a jacket but can still be utilized in his moveset.

Likewise I see him getting different faces and masks, such as maskless, maskless with shoelace, and Al's restored human face with green eyes, etc. Stuff like his big boot and gauntlet would also change with the skin since we can probably expect stuff like his original costume before it evolved, and so on, and the skull brooches are a pretty recurring detail across every look he's had to my knowledge.

Cape or die. There are enough gun users on the base roster and it doesn't help that all the DLC guests have the potential of using them as well; it would be best if they played a limited role in his kit considering he has so much more to work with compared to Ash and Terminator.

He sounds proper badass in the intro dialogues. Here's hoping the VA they get is up to scratch. Keith David would be godly, but I don't know if he's performed this role since the late 90s.

Keith David would be godly, but I don't know if he's performed this role since the late 90s.
Spawn is pretty much Keith's normal speaking voice but using effort to sound intimidating, I think he'd be fine.

Also, I have to agree with your point on the guns, although I still expect him to pull out some ridiculous comic book SMGs or something for at least one ability.

KyleKasady

Hellspawn
Might be a stretch, NRS could also give him a custom ability to respawn, the same way as Jason had and D'vorah now. What I'm referring to is the Spawn's counter 9:9:9:9, like, at the death he consumes his counter in some way. Of course it wouldn't be in tournament set, but the idea itself is getting repeated, but I wouldn't be surprised. And the question here also, what kind of version of Spawn they are going to use mainly.

You've reminded me that I wonder if they're crazy enough to give him his own subsystem using said counter.
Probably not, but it would certainly cool af.

I think if D'Vorah can revive after death once, having one more character do something similar wouldn't be too bad. Though personally I don't really like abilities that require me to die to be used.

KyleKasady

Hellspawn
You've reminded me that I wonder if they're crazy enough to give him his own subsystem using said counter.
Probably not, but it would certainly cool af.

I think if D'Vorah can revive after death once, having one more character do something similar wouldn't be too bad. Though personally I don't really like abilities that require me to die to be used.
That crossed my mind as well, but I decided to hold it off, since it's really low chance in my opinion to have something besides Offensive and Defensive meters or replace them in some way. So my guess as I said above - like resurrection? I agree, that would be too cool.

With the apparent quantity of customisation options for each character, I'm hoping if Spawn is DLC that they go crazy with his options. I wanna see all the hellspawn variants, medieval spawn, gunslinger, ninja, swat etc etc!