What's new

Having trouble playing footsie with Jax. How do you attack people who back up constantly and premptively press d4/jump to halt or evade your attacks?

This has been giving me real problems. Because all my long forward advancing moves like f4,f2, b3 are mostly grounded which means a d4 can stop their advance. What should I be doing to stop this?

There will be some matches where I get scared to attack because my opponents are always running away and when I get near they d4 or jump and I end up whiffing.

Hey man.
Jax is a really fucked up character and once you understand the power of his tools, like, lunatic fatal blow, his sick 9 frame mid and his braindead mixups, is gets easy to win against the majority of people.

Try to counter act the zoning with his heated arms, and if it is nit possible, try to be more patient and get near them without using too much the bullshit that the game gave to jax. Jump at right time, duck projectiles...and once you get near is not you that have to be scared, is your opponent. Just press things man....is easy. You have 50/50s until death, command grab, crushing blows that take a lot of life....see sonic fox guide and see hiw broken this shit is.

Mix your approach up. You say the opponent is using d4 to beat your dash ins, then go for a jump kick or play footsies by walking right outside your opponent's d4 range to bait him into using it and then preemptively go with a ground pound as a whiff punish. The opponent can't deal with all these options at once.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Oh man.
I was about to say inb4 people just say suck it up because his offense is braindead, but I'm already too late.
The fact to the matter is, you're at a disadvantage generally, because a lot of characters outrange you with disjointed buttons. It's crucial you learn how to wavedash to close in the distance, then start using f2 and jump ins once you're in range. bf2 is also a good option but it has the caveat of knocking them full screen. Either wavedash in to close half the distance or start building heat to zone.

Oh man.
I was about to say inb4 people just say suck it up because his offense is braindead, but I'm already too late.
The fact to the matter is, you're at a disadvantage generally, because a lot of characters outrange you with disjointed buttons. It's crucial you learn how to wavedash to close in the distance, then start using f2 and jump ins once you're in range. bf2 is also a good option but it has the caveat of knocking them full screen. Either wavedash in to close half the distance or start building heat to zone.
Now here's my problem with wavedashing; I feel like it forces you into animation frames where for those miliseconds your not pressing block, you are open to getting hit. I feel like walking in and ducking/evading everything guarantees I will not take any damage on the way in, but wavedashing leaves me vulnerable since it requires such fast, dedicated inputs. Is there something im doing wrong with WD if im getting hit out of it?

When i try to WD and react to projectiles I get hit cuz my character responds late since im already in the middle of another animation.

Art Lean

Noob

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Now here's my problem with wavedashing; I feel like it forces you into animation frames where for those miliseconds your not pressing block, you are open to getting hit. I feel like walking in and ducking/evading everything guarantees I will not take any damage on the way in, but wavedashing leaves me vulnerable since it requires such fast, dedicated inputs. Is there something im doing wrong with WD if im getting hit out of it?

When i try to WD and react to projectiles I get hit cuz my character responds late since im already in the middle of another animation.
Ik what you mean but the whole point of wavedashing is to close in the distance as fast as possible. If done correctly with a good feel for latency you can actually wavedash and block on reaction.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
It's almost impossible to try and whiff punish that character or really play footsies unless you have knocked him down and you're making him guess, but if they're a real Jax main they just D3 on wakeup and go in with F2.

He has good advancing normals like F2, and BF2 is a fuck you neutral tool. You can back up, but you have to guess right if he's gonna amp or not. I play Kitana so I just toss fans when I'm not in his face and that stops them in their tracks. If you wanna try and neutral jump, well F33 is gonna clip you anyways.

You can't roll backwards against that character at all cause a meaty F2 will catch you all the time and he has his 9F mid so delay wakeup will mostly make you hate your life unless he walks forward throw.

His offence is a guessing game everywhere except full screen, that's where he gets stuck and can't do much. So if all else fails just zone him tf out.

The Jax player I play against almost daily don't use his D4, but if you block it, it's a poke so take your turn back? I would say your best bet is to go to the lab and record the AI doing what the player does and find ways to counter it and practice that.

Last edited:

thlityoursloat

kick kick
It's almost impossible to try and whiff punish that character or really play footsies unless you have knocked him down and you're making him guess, but if they're a real Jax main they just D3 on wakeup and go in with F2.

He has good advancing normals like F2, and BF2 is a fuck you neutral tool. You can back up, but you have to guess right if he's gonna amp or not. I play Kitana so I just toss fans when I'm not in his face and that stops them in their tracks. If you wanna try and neutral jump, well F33 is gonna clip you anyways.

You can't roll backwards against that character at all cause a meaty F2 will catch you all the time and he has his 9F mid so delay wakeup will mostly make you hate your life unless he walks forward throw.

His offence is a guessing game everywhere except full screen, that's where he gets stuck and can't do much. So if all else fails just zone him tf out.

The Jax player I play against almost daily don't use his D4, but if you block it, it's a poke so take your turn back? I would say your best bet is to go to the lab and record the AI doing what the player does and find ways to counter it and practice that.
This is all so objectively wrong. Everything.
Now I’m willing to help you level up but only if you promise me to stop it with the Jax-ptsd.

It's very easy to whiff punish jax if you have space because his moves don't have long range, especially if you play a zoner or someone with long range normals. Against a good Noob saibot or Kabal, Cage they all excel at hitting him while not getting hit.All the meaty and Oki options you described rarely work due to the wakeup guessing game, which means if I press f3 on their wakeup I may get hit, comboed or hard whiff punished. I feel like the wakeups destroy Jax's momentum since he has to be right near you

djynn

hsu hao main
Wow, did not think people hated jax this much.

When I run into this problem I wait in the neutral for them to press a button and then you've got f2 to close the range. If you're in a good situation you can use a jump in. Jax's d4 isn't the worst in the game either so if you can manage to hit them you can use the hit advantage to get a f2.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
This is all so objectively wrong. Everything.
Now I’m willing to help you level up but only if you promise me to stop it with the Jax-ptsd.
Good chance she got that Jax PTSD from me. But anyways yea the f33 to beat delayed wakeup can be stopped by short delay wakeup which ppl don't do enough and bf2 is overrated, and yea any character with real footsies can outfootsie him. Jax is heavily overrated by intermediate and casual players

Good chance she got that Jax PTSD from me. But anyways yea the f33 to beat delayed wakeup can be stopped by short delay wakeup which ppl don't do enough and bf2 is overrated, and yea any character with real footsies can outfootsie him. Jax is heavily overrated by intermediate and casual players
F33 get destroyed by F-Roll full combo punish.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
f33 is pretty much unusable on knockdown because it has so much whiff recovery and f2 can be punished for a full combo with a short delay and can just be flat out u3'd lol.
bf2 is more of a check more than anything else because it KNOCKS YOU FULLSCREEN and resets the neutral letting Frost or whomever play their stupid game of mashing whatever button they want again. It can also be d2 KB'd or you can just jump back to safely punish the MB AND the regular bf2.
And d3 on wakeup? Really? This is not even close to a Jax thing, if you mistime your meatie or try to meatie with a high any poke will beat you. This is just an MK11 thing.

I don't get why people just want to play victim against jax and not just level up. I've played a lot against really tough opponents who wouldn't buy into the f33 stagger meme and forced me to cmd grab a lot which can be blown up really bad.

f33 is pretty much unusable on knockdown because it has so much whiff recovery and f2 can be punished for a full combo with a short delay and can just be flat out u3'd lol.
bf2 is more of a check more than anything else because it KNOCKS YOU FULLSCREEN and resets the neutral letting Frost or whomever play their stupid game of mashing whatever button they want again. It can also be d2 KB'd or you can just jump back to safely punish the MB AND the regular bf2.
And d3 on wakeup? Really? This is not even close to a Jax thing, if you mistime your meatie or try to meatie with a high any poke will beat you. This is just an MK11 thing.

I don't get why people just want to play victim against jax and not just level up. I've played a lot against really tough opponents who wouldn't buy into the f33 stagger meme and forced me to cmd grab a lot which can be blown up really bad.
nice avatar picture man, im crying

People are so random on wakeup I notice matches where I'll consistently knock them but only damage I take is from whiffing a meaty. It's to the point where I just block after I knock then down.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: PlayingNeutral
If only it was that easy
Hey I consider myself a Jax and Kano main. Take a look at this video of me playing Jax and various characters look at how I get in.
You do need to learn how to wave dash and just know to not just throw out f331( full string ). Stagger that shit and youll be invincible practically thanos. Jax is the stagger king as you can see in the video below. The first Jax match starts at 5:50 second the one you really need to look at is at 40:05. And 42:00

Last edited: