What's new

Halo: Infinite

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'd also love to have another monitor play a big role in a story. 343 Guilty Spark was such a great villain, he is one of my favorites in all of gaming, and is really underrated. His voice actor is excellent and really adds to him. He isn't explicitly evil, he is simply serving a purpose, without emotion really playing into it. However, he will still have some emotional outbursts like shooting Johnson and raising his voice. He can also be very emotionless and comes off as so detached and callus when he tells the sentinals to decapitate Master Chief in a very matter of fact way. He also is pretty funny with his humming and kind of sarcastic and spiteful attitude. He came off as more annoyed at Chief in The Maw for destroying installation 04, before of course finally snapping and killing Johnson and going after Chief / Arbiter in 3 full on.

It’s fucking embarrassing, like some of these game journalists are horrendous.
Yup, they sure are. That's why you can't take them seriously, and need to judge for yourself. Critics are not always right.

For Guilty Spark, interestingly, he was actually a human, Chakas, who had the memories and such of the Lord of Admirals in him courtesy of the Librarian.

I wouldn't call him a villain though, but he does act as an antagonist on mutliple occassions, mostly because he's gotten a little screwy.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yup, they sure are. That's why you can't take them seriously, and need to judge for yourself. Critics are not always right.

For Guilty Spark, interestingly, he was actually a human, Chakas, who had the memories and such of the Lord of Admirals in him courtesy of the Librarian.

I wouldn't call him a villain though, but he does act as an antagonist on mutliple occassions, mostly because he's gotten a little screwy.
That’s interesting I didn’t know that! I would say he is the main villain of CE though. There is the covenant and the flood of course, but the gravemind we see in later games, as well as the prophets aren’t established yet, so he is really the only individual with a name that is out to stop us. Intro cutscene of two betrayals is really good, he emotionlessly is ready to do something as sinister as wipe out life in the galaxy, but we see several times that he actually DOES have the capacity for emotional outbursts when it comes to things that go against his purpose. Not a villain in the same way as the Truth or the Didact, but he legitimately came closer to wiping out humanity through trickery than Truth did by force, or the Didact did with the Composer, which makes him my favorite antagonist.

That’s interesting I didn’t know that!
If you want to read the most un-Halo Halo fiction ever written, pick up the Forerunner trilogy. It's overall good sci-fi, doesn't feel like proper Halo at all, yet has pertinent details and elaboration on the Forerunner/Flood conflict.

For example:

• Did you know there are two Didacts? The one we see in game is the original, the Ur-Didact. The one who actually fired the Halo Array to end the Forerunner/Flood War is the Iso-Didact.
  • Did you know the Ark is actually the Lesser Ark? There was a much bigger one, the Greater Ark, that was destroyed during the war.
  • Did you know there used to be more than seven rings, and the originals were larger? They also got destroyed in the war.
  • Did you know that the Flood are actually the Precursors, or what's left of them? The benevelent race that once ruled the galaxy and held the Mantle of Responsibility (but not as an imperial peace, they actually did look after everyone). The Forerunners rose up in violence and nearly wiped them out to claim the mantle for themselves.

I pre-ordered my copy of the Halo Infinte Campaign yesterday. I also didn't realize that, for the Steam version at least, the system requirements are up, and they're less than I expected. My old processor will run it, though I mostly expect to play on my Xbox One X.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I pre-ordered my copy of the Halo Infinte Campaign yesterday. I also didn't realize that, for the Steam version at least, the system requirements are up, and they're less than I expected. My old processor will run it, though I mostly expect to play on my Xbox One X.
Is the campaign not on game pass? Is only multiplayer on game pass? I have no problem paying for infinite, but I thought it was on game pass.
I’ll be on series X, I’m anticipating it being pretty great. Does X1X get 60 fps? That’s what matters most, I know The base XB1 is only 30.

Is the campaign not on game pass? Is only multiplayer on game pass? I have no problem paying for infinite, but I thought it was on game pass.
I’ll be on series X, I’m anticipating it being pretty great. Does X1X get 60 fps? That’s what matters most, I know The base XB1 is only 30.
The full Game is on Game Pass. I don't have Game Pass so I'd either have to subscribe, or buy, and I choose buy.

I'm envious of your Xbox Series X! The Xbox One X is expected to be 4K but at 30 FPS. For my PC, I'm not sure what it'll look like or what frames I'd get. My suspicion is low settings but at 60 FPS.

If I'm not happy with the performance on Xbox One X, my only console option would be to pick up an Xbox Series S, which are readily available here. That version will be 1080p at 60 FPS. I am toying with the idea...

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
The full Game is on Game Pass. I don't have Game Pass so I'd either have to subscribe, or buy, and I choose buy.

I'm envious of your Xbox Series X! The Xbox One X is expected to be 4K but at 30 FPS. For my PC, I'm not sure what it'll look like or what frames I'd get. My suspicion is low settings but at 60 FPS.

If I'm not happy with the performance on Xbox One X, my only console option would be to pick up an Xbox Series S, which are readily available here. That version will be 1080p at 60 FPS. I am toying with the idea...
XSS is great console, I really would hold out fo XSX, I think you will be glad you did! It's getting easier and easier to get one.

XSS is great console, I really would hold out fo XSX, I think you will be glad you did! It's getting easier and easier to get one.
Here, it doesn't seem to be. I haven't seen one outside of overpriced marketplace sellers in, I think, since the Spring or early Summer.

Phil Spencer himself is saying (in general) that 2022 is when we're really going to see issues from the microchip shortages. He's talking everything, not specifically Xbox Series consoles.

So we'll see. I can always snag an S if I want, and then an X later on when one becomes available.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
IGN's latest video on campaign impressions was actually very good and through, this lady playing the game actually understands Halo and how to play it, hopefully she gets to review the game.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting this, but Halo Infinite's Multiplayer has officially launched early (and in Beta):

I downloaded the Microsoft Store PC version yesterday, but didn't have a chance to try it. I was surprised that it was only 26.4 GB, which includes the high res texture pack. Seems small, and I wonder after full launch, if you'll be able to only have the Campaign installed like with Halo: The Master Chief Collection (as I'm not interested in the game's competitive multiplayer).

For those playing on console, even though the game is free-to-play, am I correct in assuming that an Xbox Live Gold subscription is still required?

The game still looks good at 1080p tho. I hoped in last night and got my rear handed lmao. It's the first Halo multiplayer that I've played and it feels solid. I'm still finicky about the level progression tho. I don't like to depend on weekly challenges so that I can level up and get more colors/suits.

I downloaded the PC version and fired that up last night. I was surprised at how well it played seeing as how my processor is the minimum for the game. I was able to play on High settings and all was stable and looking good.

I'm also surprised at how small it is: around 36 GB with the high quality texture pack.

Like I mentioned, I'm not keen on competative Multiplayer, but am psyched for the Campaign!

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
While only a teaser trailer, this looks pretty good:
Kind of wish they never showed what he looked like, I guess we knew he was a white guy from the comics going into his backstory but I feel like they took the mystique away and now we just have bald guy back head

Kind of wish they never showed what he looked like, I guess we knew he was a white guy from the comics going into his backstory but I feel like they took the mystique away and now we just have bald guy back head
Well we know he's caucassion, but unless I'm mistaken, we've only seen what he looked like as a child/teenager. we have not seen John's adult face, and he's well over 40 now.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I love the weapons sandbox. Haven’t used anything yet that feels useless and everything feels unique. Even the starting weapons are decent. I haven’t ever got killed and felt cheated, and make no mistake I’m not amazing at the game.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Well we know he's caucassion, but unless I'm mistaken, we've only seen what he looked like as a child/teenager. we have not seen John's adult face, and he's well over 40 now.
I think he is chronologically 49 in Infinite, but with the augmentations and few years of cryo sleep he is biologically more likely in his late 20s. I wish they got Steve Downes to voice Chief. We DON'T need to see his face and I stand by that. It's nice that they got Jen Taylor for Cortana it sounds like. And with other major characters like Arbiter, Guilty Spark, Tartarus, Truth, etc all being CGI, they could get the actual voice actors. They really have a chance to make something special, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I absolutely agree that we should have never seen anything about how he looks underneath the suit. Every single person could relate and identify with Master Chief and a big reason for that is that he absolutely could have been any race at all. Honestly, even him being a male wasn’t 100% for sure because it was just based on the voice. His voice always sounded like it wasn’t super normal. Aka it could have absolutely been a voice changer.

Anyway, I personally don’t care all that much about the single player or lore, never have. Always cared far more about the competitive gameplay. I thought the storylines and lore were cool of course, but it was always just a bonus. But I understand not everyone is a hardcore competitive gamer like me. Anyslut, that’s just my 2 cents.